The big changes everyone forgets about..

G-Man

4 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

The one I expected to see but did not was moving to a Saturday for opening day of regular season..   there was something “magical” about the season opening on Monday..    maybe it was just the fun we used to have the weekend leading up to it..

A guaranteed day of off school, that was my favorite part!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

The one I expected to see but did not was moving to a Saturday for opening day of regular season..   there was something “magical” about the season opening on Monday..    maybe it was just the fun we used to have the weekend leading up to it..

It killed the economy of many small towns as well as camp comroderie the weekend before. You visited neighboring camps , made.plans for drived later in the week, went into town for dinner and drinks, and supplies. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

I believe the reason for the opening start on Saturday was to give everyone 4 weekends as opposed to 3 weekends . The Monday opener was rough to get off if you happened to be an individual with low seniority and the rest of the crew were hunters !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

It killed the economy of many small towns as well as camp comroderie the weekend before. You visited neighboring camps , made.plans for drived later in the week, went into town for dinner and drinks, and supplies. 

1 hour ago, GreeneHunter said:

I believe the reason for the opening start on Saturday was to give everyone 4 weekends as opposed to 3 weekends . The Monday opener was rough to get off if you happened to be an individual with low seniority and the rest of the crew were hunters !

i never understood why you would want the monday opener.  We had a hunting/fishing camp and got together too but it always sucked that half the guys didn't come til the next weekend cause they had to work.  Sat opener everyone was there on fri night.   Most people, if they could, took the Fri off before and could hunt more, still play cards and hangout.  I think it was a great move. Before that we woudl have fun but would rather be hunting, esp after two days of not hunting.    And as a young guy I never got monday off once i started working.  So the folks that came up on the weeknd basically hung out and only got to hunt monday.   Much rather hunt all the days, just couldnt get bombed every night and only have a few. Never understood how people think it hurt businesses.  We had lots more people around and out to eat etc with a full weekend to hunt and a packed camp (two actually) 

there was a laundry list of reasons and a lot had to do with youth and school. Some also thought it'd help the economy, which they got wrong. And of course I would be remise if I didn't mention that it pissed off a bunch of bowhunters who cherished that last weekend during the rut. Of course they gave us 2 weeks of warm mosquito October in exchange :)

When I worked in a factory, half the guys could forget about getting Monday off, myself included .

On the FD of course we weren’t a M-F job, so the Sat opener was just as hard , there were years when I had 25 years on the job and it was closed when it came to me to, pick my  vacation .

If one week end lost kills an enter towns economy, they were circling the drain anyways , or I grossly underestimate the shear volume of alcohol hunters can consume in two days .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1