Refurb A Hoppes Front Rifle Rest

My 50 plus year old Hoppes front rifle rest had seen plenty of action over the years and was in need of a spruce up. I damaged the shot filled bag years ago by resting and shooting revolvers over it. The splatter from the cylinder gaps ate away at the leather eventually causing a hole, I taped it up so the lead shot would not leak out and while it was usable it had seen it's better days so I decided to replace it. The cast aluminum body parts had quite a few places where the paint had peeled off and many of the adjusting screw's threads were corroded. Picked up a new "Protector" front bag that was a tad too big and had to make a block to make it work right. Cleaned and lubed everything up and gave  the body a rattle can paint job and she looks as good as new and should be good for another 50 years of blasting away at the range.

Equipment like this can be found online for a song, with a little work it can be made as good as new and you can save substantial money.

Al

2020-12-01_142846.png

2020-12-01_142739.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 7

nice job. On our F&G range, I wanted some soft bags to leave outside. Got some I.V. bags, cut off the outlet till I could fill it with sand, put in a wooden plug with a little silicone sealent. Figured they would last a couple of years. They've been there about 10 years and they still are very useable.

• Like 1