rest for a treestand?

Robhuntandfish

Any one make or come up with a good way to put a rest for rifle on a ladder treestand rail?  all my stands have the flip over bar but it is too low to actually be used as a gunrest.  Archery is great cause i put my bow on it and can shoot over most of it esp the lower sides.   But it would be nice to have a solid rest to put on the shooting rail for long shots.  I did find one online but thought someone here might have a homeade idea or something they use.    

3 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

What about bringing a shooting stick up with you? I never used one but i think the height adjusts.

was thinking of trying that but the floor of the stand is grated and i am thinking it will go thru it. Plus i would like it to be out a little farther to put the gun out more over the rail (fat guy in a little treestand syndrome) .  I am going to try that though.  I have seen the bog pods but i dont want to cart one of those and have to set it up everytime for 13 different stands.  But i will give it a try this week 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Just now, Farflung said:

I have some with flip over bars. I have put foam pipe insulation on them, raises them slightly. Works for me, but i am only 5' 8".

i also do that and then put camo ducktape over them. But they still seems to be too low.  Plus for bow it works great being low but for gun not so much.  Thinking maybe i can make some sort of rig i can carry wiht me or make cheap for a lot of stands 

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i also do that and then put camo ducktape over them. But they still seems to be too low.  Plus for bow it works great being low but for gun not so much.  Thinking maybe i can make some sort of rig i can carry wiht me or make cheap for a lot of stands 

Most of the double and single stands i use all have the flip up rails. Never had an issue of a rail being to low, I rest my arm on the rail and the rifle is in my hand. I have had shots behind me as well and in those cases I rest one knee on the seat and rest my arm and rifle against the tree. I dont have ladder stands where I find the rails to be too low. I always rest the foreend  of the rifle in my hand and my hand rests on the rail.

• Like 1

I agree that the rail is way too low.  I bought an aftermarket rail for one of my hang-ons.  It straps around the tree with a ratchet strap.  They are really flimsy, but better than nothing.  I have a reliable ladder stand where I can shoot very far and I ended up screwing a 2"x3" rail on both sides of the ladder.  Rock solid.

I have also seen guys use PVC pipe and fittings to make a rail with legs that go down to the platform.  I don't know if any of these ideas are a help.  The strap-on rails are ok, but you would need one for every darn stand.  

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Drill 2 sets of holes and use pins for the rail to sit on. 1 for bow hunting and one set of holes for a gun rest. I’ve done this to work every ladder stand I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that is genius!  I'm gonna have to look them over to do that over the summer. 

I was going to try my shooting stick tomorrow, but apparently I will have to get another. Can't find it anywhere.  I was pretty sure I bought one this summer to replace the one I left in the Dacks a few years ago.  I didn't lose it, I know exactly where it is.  It requires a 2 hour drive then to launch a boat and row for a while to an island.  Lol.  

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

Most of the double and single stands i use all have the flip up rails. Never had an issue of a rail being to low, I rest my arm on the rail and the rifle is in my hand. I have had shots behind me as well and in those cases I rest one knee on the seat and rest my arm and rifle against the tree. I dont have ladder stands where I find the rails to be too low. I always rest the foreend  of the rifle in my hand and my hand rests on the rail.

It's weird some I have are fine, but a lot of them are so low I can't even scooch down and use it for gun. I am not a tall guy too.   

15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

It's weird some I have are fine, but a lot of them are so low I can't even scooch down and use it for gun. I am not a tall guy too.   

I would take a 2x4 the length of the rails, then take those u shaped pipe clamps with the two holes and place on bottom of rail and screw from underneath into the wood. Hard to explain when writting...lol...but its a very simple cheap fix. If your not understanding I can draw a diagram.

29 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I was going to try my shooting stick tomorrow, but apparently I will have to get another. Can't find it anywhere.  I was pretty sure I bought one this summer to replace the one I left in the Dacks a few years ago.  I didn't lose it, I know exactly where it is.  It requires a 2 hour drive then to launch a boat and row for a while to an island.  Lol.  

Maybe it is with your fishing gear? A case of mistaken identitiy for a wading stick....

10 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I would take a 2x4 the length of the rails, then take those u shaped pipe clamps with the two holes and place on bottom of rail and screw from underneath into the wood. Hard to explain when writting...lol...but its a very simple cheap fix. If your not understanding I can draw a diagram.

I think I know what u mean. Was just looking for something small to use .  

I was thinking one of those handy man clamps on the rail too. 

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

was thinking of trying that but the floor of the stand is grated and i am thinking it will go thru it. Plus i would like it to be out a little farther to put the gun out more over the rail (fat guy in a little treestand syndrome) .  I am going to try that though.  I have seen the bog pods but i dont want to cart one of those and have to set it up everytime for 13 different stands.  But i will give it a try this week 

I carry my primos trigger stick.  Works on the mesh platform.   And I hang it off the stand from the trigger so it’s not in the way.  Happened too fast this year to use it but it will work time permitting.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I carry my primos trigger stick.  Works on the mesh platform.   And I hang it off the stand from the trigger so it’s not in the way.  Happened too fast this year to use it but it will work time permitting.  

I do the same. I can't shoot off hand very well, so I depend on the trigger stick.

1 minute ago, Cabin Fever said:

I do the same. I can't shoot off hand very well, so I depend on the trigger stick.

It’s a nice option and still steadies the gun if you have to lean it left or right to shoot a different direction.  None of my stands have shooting rails so nothing gets in the way of moving / leaning the stick.  

• Like 1

I'm looking at this, but it seems unavailable.  Would like to have something that just sets on the rail and I can leave my gun in it.  Then stock under my arm and hands in my muff to stay warm. Then can just pull up and shoot. 

This looks good but would want it to mount on the rail.  So far I'm liking buck Masters idea cause I can adjust it to the right height and just pull up and shoot without adjustment.http://liveoaktek.com/products.html

Edited by Robhuntandfish

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I'm looking at this, but it seems unavailable.  Would like to have something that just sets on the rail and I can leave my gun in it.  Then stock under my arm and hands in my muff to stay warm. Then can just pull up and shoot. 

This looks good but would want it to mount on the rail.  So far I'm liking buck Masters idea cause I can adjust it to the right height and just pull up and shoot without adjustment.http://liveoaktek.com/products.html

What if you have to shoot left or right?