Losing my hope of seeing a buck

luberhill

Keep positive. Remember its deer hunting not shooting. After opening weekend and after thanksgiving weekend the deer have been hunted hard and sightings go down. How many times have you hunted your blind ? You may have burned the area out and need to move. There’s plenty of season left and you do have meat in the freezer so that’s a plus. 

I hear you man , same here . I agree w Rob-c and would rotate spots if you can . I hunted today in a spot I tried Saturday and didn’t see a damn thing ; however , did see some sign and moved my stand to what I feel like is a better spot and it’s all set . Won’t hunt that spot now , though till Saturday at the earliest , probably more like Monday .  Instead , I’ll go up to camp and try some other spots . Biggest thing is to keep your spirits up , enjoy your solitude in your blind ( stand , whatever ) and don’t give up. Remember , you definitely won’t see deer if your sitting on your couch !! 

Edited by Northcountryman
  • Like 1

I’m not sure when the last year was I didn’t get a buck and it’s been decades since I didn’t get a deer of some sort ,yet here I am not only deer less,  but not seeing much at all .

Yet I know as much of a pain it’s become , at some point there’s bound to be a deer with worse luck then I .

• Like 6

I had a year where I only had a Buck tag, I hunted my ass off through the season seeing only a couple of does. The last day comes and I decide to do an afternoon sit until dark. Things shaped up the same as every other day, a big fat zero! But my spirits were high because when I got home after hunting the wife and myself were going out with another couple to a new restaurant that was serving one of my all time favorites, Alaskan King Crab and the best part it was all you can eat! I was sitting on that stump the last hour of daylight drooling just thinking of the feast that was to come. Well don't you know with about 15 minutes to go before sunset out steps a 6 point, crap! I had to shoot him and did but I was not as happy as I should have been. It was a quick field dressing and drag out and I was off to the races to get ready to eat. In the end it only cost me an hour from the original dining time. Talk about just under the wire!!:yes:

Don't give up!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’m not sure when the last year was I didn’t get a buck and it’s been decades since I didn’t get a deer of some sort ,yet here I am not only deer less,  but not seeing much at all .

Yet I know as much of a pain it’s become , at some point there’s bound to be a deer with worse luck then I .

Nomad I'm curious, what seems to be the issue this year vs. Others in deer sightings. Seems your have an unusually difficult year.

• Like 1

Sometimes you can't wait for them to come to you. You need to still hunt, wind bump, or push the land you have available. Nocturnal deer don't move around much in the day. Unless your camped on their bedding your not gonna see mature bucks moving much in daylight. Stateland hikes for me in the am. And sitting on best food sources for last hour or 2 of the day. 

• Like 1

I wish I had an answer , any scenario I can come up with I’ve had years prior too .All the crops were cut early , well there’s been years it was to wet to plant any .

To many coyotes , well same every year.

Nobody out pushing them , same every year .

Warm, had plenty of warm years .

Joe took a great buck , and my daughter should have , but those have been the only bucks I’ve seen in gun and one was dead . Bow sightings way way down , yet summer pics were off the charts .

Jeez, I’ve turned in to quite a whiner this year !   Maybe  after 34 years on this spot the deer have just finally outsmarted me . 

17 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Sometimes you can't wait for them to come to you. You need to still hunt, wind bump, or push the land you have available. Nocturnal deer don't move around much in the day. Unless your camped on their bedding your not gonna see mature bucks moving much in daylight. Stateland hikes for me in the am. And sitting on best food sources for last hour or 2 of the day. 

I’ve thought of that but I wouldn’t still hunt now following all the pressure for the past weeks and a half ; I think that would just prolong the drought amd keep them Totally nocturnal For a longer period . Actually , I’m sure they’re still moving  a little during the day but VERY little . Probably just shortnjaunts to get upnane stretch , take a whiz , etc . Then hunker back down again. Unless you have a piece of property REALLY well scouted and have a good idea where they’re hunkering down , still hunting would be a waste of time IMHO. I would keep rotating spots and keep the intrusion down to a minimum and let the woods settle down a bit then give it a go with either still hunting or stand sitting . Couple guys in my club are locked into such a routine right now that I swear , the deer have patterned them totally and they’re never gonna see shit at the rate they’re going . Every morning , same stand , sit till 9:30. , then back to camp for a nap , lunch , etc . , then back out to same stand again for  the afternoon sit . Hell , you don’t have to be smart to figure that out lol. I am convinced that the pattern we’re seeing now (which happens every year post opening weekend ,  mind you and ALWAYS causes suppression of deer sightings) Can only effectively be hunted by either cheating ( ie deer jacking  which is unethical as hell),  or, using well coordinated deer drives ;the # of participants partaking Contingent upon the size of the parcel being hunted, of course . Back in the day , deer drives were routinely used but now , seem to be a relic of the past . Too bad cuz it quite often worked Very well. 

This is why I like the cellular camera , I don’t have to go in and check it.. 

Now I’ve been away from my blind spot for 4 days, and it’s been raining everyday .

the lack of deer on my camera and rubs I’ve seen other years makes me wonder ...

again two weeks before the season I’m getting bucks and does everyday , then nothing 

2 hours ago, luberhill said:

Or even a doe at this point ,

shot a decent doe opener of gun, haven’t seen a fricken thing since !

ive got a blind in the woods near trails where I had several bucks on camera before the gun season, nothing since

no bucks or does

You've seen more than I have then! LOL  Hang in there, it HAS to get better!! 

Moving around definetely helps,if not the deer sightings at least you will look at some new scenery. I have not hunted the same tree twice this year,that was my goal going in. 

And some years are just off and you may be unlucky. I have only seen 7 bucks since opening of bow season,and i am counting the spikers. Two are dead now though,so that is a good season for me.

I think still hunting can be very effective,you just need a little luck with that as well. Even if you bump some deer,it is good intel for the future.

I think deer pattern us much faster than we think. Even if we dont get busted while in the stand,they will smell our trail in and out if they cross it. Now if they regularly smell that i think they stay away during the day.

• Thanks 1

"Losing my hope of seeing a buck"

Hunt hard and never give up. When the season is over at least you gave it your best. It can happen when you least expect it and may not happen but at least you tried. I ate all of my tags last year.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1