Losing my hope of seeing a buck

luberhill

I’m feeling a bit frustrated too. During bow season I had an opportunity to shoot a buck every sit. I did finally connect with a decent buck and haven’t seen squat since then, only some distant does during gun season. Cameras are still showing nice bucks in the area though, so I am hopeful. I am back at work this week so I’m sure by Friday I will be excited to get back out there, everything can change in a matter of seconds. You just have to be there when it does. Keep the faith!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Moving around definetely helps,if not the deer sightings at least you will look at some new scenery. I have not hunted the same tree twice this year,that was my goal going in. 

And some years are just off and you may be unlucky. I have only seen 7 bucks since opening of bow season,and i am counting the spikers. Two are dead now though,so that is a good season for me.

I think still hunting can be very effective,you just need a little luck with that as well. Even if you bump some deer,it is good intel for the future.

I think deer pattern us much faster than we think. Even if we dont get busted while in the stand,they will smell our trail in and out if they cross it. Now if they regularly smell that i think they stay away during the day.

I agree , definitely so right now , gotta take the pressure off for a bit and let them forget about us a bit . Deer are wary and quite formidable but they’re not Magical! Sooner or later , they’ll let their guard down again and that’s when you need to be there !! 

Lookin forward colder weather and maybe snow ; maybe that’ll shake things up a bit. Having said that , as of right now , only kind of hunting I’m comfortable with doing is stand hunting as I’m too worried about further spooking an already spooked deer herd . I know other hunters are more aggressive in their approach but to me , walking around trying to kick up deer that are already hunkered down and jumpy as hell is just gonna exacerbate the situation. If you know where they’re lying low already , Maybe  a thicket Or swamp and want to go comb it , that’s one thing , but blind still hunting right now , I just don’t see working .  

Edited by Northcountryman

On 12/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, Northcountryman said:

I’ve thought of that but I wouldn’t still hunt now following all the pressure for the past weeks and a half ; I think that would just prolong the drought amd keep them Totally nocturnal For a longer period . Actually , I’m sure they’re still moving  a little during the day but VERY little . Probably just shortnjaunts to get upnane stretch , take a whiz , etc . Then hunker back down again. Unless you have a piece of property REALLY well scouted and have a good idea where they’re hunkering down , still hunting would be a waste of time IMHO. I would keep rotating spots and keep the intrusion down to a minimum and let the woods settle down a bit then give it a go with either still hunting or stand sitting . Couple guys in my club are locked into such a routine right now that I swear , the deer have patterned them totally and they’re never gonna see shit at the rate they’re going . Every morning , same stand , sit till 9:30. , then back to camp for a nap , lunch , etc . , then back out to same stand again for  the afternoon sit . Hell , you don’t have to be smart to figure that out lol. I am convinced that the pattern we’re seeing now (which happens every year post opening weekend ,  mind you and ALWAYS causes suppression of deer sightings) Can only effectively be hunted by either cheating ( ie deer jacking  which is unethical as hell),  or, using well coordinated deer drives ;the # of participants partaking Contingent upon the size of the parcel being hunted, of course . Back in the day , deer drives were routinely used but now , seem to be a relic of the past . Too bad cuz it quite often worked Very well. 

We drive deer and windbump them all season if thats what it takes

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Sure, IF you can organize a drive; but what about if/when hunting solo?

Its tough but I definitely can't kill one on the couch or even worse at work.... I feel like Sound is my worst enemy... if the woods are loud or crunchy or the ground is dry i try to get creative. I use creeks to cover my sound and often times it carries your scent away as a bonus. Im semi familiar with upwards of 15,000+ acres of nys public so I have some land to work with.  I see deer almost every hunt, sometimes its some flags but often I have some quicker shots. I sometimes let my wind blow into bedding and sneak around  to where I think they will exit, having a rifle is really helpful for longer shots but I see deer dont run as much when im solo like they do on drives. I also Kinda have to work with the weather. There is no fool proof way to guarantee a kill. A successful hunt to me is getting out there and learning something. 

• Like 1

I would like to see a doe, when I get back out there this weekend.  I am loosing my hope of that, because I have not seen one since opening day.  I do breathe a sigh of relief, after getting thru each hunt without seeing a larger buck than that which I punched my tag on however.

My plan for Saturday morning, is to try back at the stand where I saw the doe two weeks ago (opening day), and hope I can catch her there again.  I tried last Saturday, but she did not show.  I let her pass on opening day, but I killed the buck behind her. I think last Saturday was too warm for her.  Cold and snow might bring her back this weekend.

My spot is in some thick cover on the edge of a swamp.  I have caught late season does cruising thru there several times in the past, so I think there is a chance on Saturday.

5 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Is that thick cover area a bedding area would you say ?

It is more of a travel corridor, between bedding and feeding areas. There is a swamp on one side, and open hardwoods on the other.  After they get pressured, when gun season opens up, they seem to stick to this narrow band of thick stuff, along the edge of the swamp.

My stand is right in the middle of the thick stuff.   It is difficult to get a shot much over 50 yards from it.  It is going to be tougher to get a doe. I was able to bring the buck back in, for a close shot on opening day, with a grunt call.

20201203_194020.jpg

Edited by wolc123

With the record bumber of deer I've seen at the processor getting it done (especially on a buck tag) is going to be real tough.

There's record number of hunters in the woods shooting record numbers of deer- my top 3 processors all closed to new deer by Wednesday of opening week because they were inundated.

Its going to be tough.