Hit one , can’t find damm

luberhill

Well first time , saw a nice big down in some woods at the egg foot of the hill.

she was facing me and I had her in the scope , if she turned either way I wouldn’t have a shot,

took a chest/neck shot.. I hit her , she kinda hunched and then ran up over the hill into the woods...

I walked to where she was and saw some blood and white hair and small pc of bone.

so I waited like an hour or so and started following, had some patches of blood and white hair...

ruffled leaves and some more blood on the sparse patches of snow....

then nothing... I did circles , grid walk , nothing ...

I walked to the foot of the hill and walked the creek bed,,, nothing

i

sick to my stomach.... can’t believe unless I hit her shoulder or leg??

I wish I could relive that shot again,,,not happy

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

No I was walking , standing at the top of a hill she was at the bottom 

Still shooting downward though.  Could have been low and clipped a rib.  This the white hair and bone.  Deer are tough . Even if you got one lung they will go a long ways.  Usually a hunched up deer is a sign of gutshot.  

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

Still shooting downward though.  Could have been low and clipped a rib.  This the white hair and bone.  Deer are tough . Even if you got one lung they will go a long ways.  Usually a hunched up deer is a sign of gutshot.  

The blood and hair was low on the trees

the second pic looks like she fell going down the hill in the leaves

6E6C4BAC-6545-46BA-839F-1E5B328A0BD7.jpeg

A343C76F-EC73-40F5-8675-699FFF823FA3.jpeg

6 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Nope already thought of that..

any sense of going back tomorrow and looking more ?

im thinking it’s not a fatal shot ..it’s very steep ravines too, I really looked hard ...

I’m sick 

Sucks man but it happens.  I would always say it's worth another look.  Even if you still hunt while doing it.    So hard to tell sometimes.  Could be leg like others said , did she fall when u hit her?  Walking away hunched up make me think a low hit and not leg if she didn't fall or was limping, esp if bone and leg broke. But so hard to tell.  Give it your best is all you can do. 

2 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Nope already thought of that..

any sense of going back tomorrow and looking more ?

im thinking it’s not a fatal shot ..it’s very steep ravines too, I really looked hard ...

I’m sick 

Dogs won't help with a recovery, as the deer is still alive. The leg will likely clot up, and leave no, or a very sparse blood trail. If infection or coyotes don't set in, it "may" recover and live with three legs? 

Just curious why the 100 yard frontal chest shot, and not wanting to wait for it to turn broadside? I'm NOT bashing you!! And wish it worked out better for you, I really do. But if the info can help someone else down the road.... great.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grampy said:

Dogs won't help with a recovery, as the deer is still alive. The leg will likely clot up, and leave no, or a very sparse blood trail. If infection or coyotes don't set in, it "may" recover and live with three legs? 

Just curious why the 100 yard frontal chest shot, and not wanting to wait for it to turn broadside? I'm NOT bashing you!! And wish it worked out better for you, I really do. But if the info can help someone else down the road.... great.

Yea she was in an area where I couldn’t get any closer to her ..if she turned either way I wouldn’t have a clear shot ..

in hind site I wish I didn’t take the shot . T was a then or never shot ..

trust me in beating myself up .. 

• Like 1

Just now, luberhill said:

Yea she was in an area where I couldn’t get any closer to her ..if she turned either way I wouldn’t have a clear shot ..

in hind site I wish I didn’t take the shot . T was a then or never shot ..

trust me in beating myself up .. 

It probably was more like 75 yards .. I had a clear view, if she turned right I would have been blacked except for possible headshot 

left I would have been tree line blocked totally

I sure hope you find her it sounds like you may have hit or low somewhere’s.  I have a doll I called Tripod she has been running around or should I say hopping around for the last four years I don’t know how she got her leg taken off but I just want you to know they’re very tough creatures.   As a result of being a three legged she gets a pass from me every time and all my buddies as well she has had a couple of fawns and continues to out wit the coyotes.   But hopefully you find yours if not perhaps you have a tripod now.  

556D1F0A-42E3-4687-BA18-CEF0E81CC29F.jpeg

BE70A5A7-A9DA-4183-839E-F73679887687.jpeg

69842277-A725-4EDC-89D9-301B3A71359D.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lomax said:

I sure hope you find her it sounds like you may have hit or low somewhere’s.  I have a doll I called Tripod she has been running around or should I say hopping around for the last four years I don’t know how she got her leg taken off but I just want you to know they’re very tough creatures.   As a result of being a three legged she gets a pass from me every time and all my buddies as well she has had a couple of fawns and continues to out wit the coyotes.   But hopefully you find yours if not perhaps you have a tripod now.  

556D1F0A-42E3-4687-BA18-CEF0E81CC29F.jpeg

BE70A5A7-A9DA-4183-839E-F73679887687.jpeg

69842277-A725-4EDC-89D9-301B3A71359D.jpeg

Yea thx ... wish I could re- live today 

1 minute ago, luberhill said:

Yea thx ... wish I could re- live today 

Yeah it’s never easy losing one and you never want the deer to suffer but I would tell you don’t beat yourself up over it.  You certainly didn’t want this outcome and did right by looking for it hard like you started. I would want to relive my days like my children’s births or wedding day or day I pitched perfect game though there is a big buck I shot w the bow in 1988 that I never recovered....maybe reset that day...I get it but we can’t.  Perhaps you’ll find it in the morning still hunting but if not maybe take a day and reflect and then get back in the saddle and try again it is hunting not always killingPerhaps you’ll find it in the morning still hunting but if not maybe take a day and reflect and then get back in the saddle and try again it is hunting not always killing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

The blood and hair was low on the trees

the second pic looks like she fell going down the hill in the leaves

I would not give up looking. That deer left more blood than  the one I killed. Anytime there is blood I keep looking and if I think it was a decent hit I look until I am convinced it didn't go down.

It’s good to measure the height of the blood on the trees ,as it’s another piece of the puzzle .

I know the top of my knee cap, when in boots is 22 inches more or less. The sweet spot on a deer vitals runs 20-24 inches , a few inches either way can be a difficult recovery .

The one I tracked was leaving blood at 23 inches or so . 

The Book Dead On, is a wealth of info on deer recovery and should be in every hunters library.

• Like 1

If you can I'd definitely be back tomorrow looking to jump her and put another one in her. If she's layed up all night chances are she'll be weakened up pretty good. She probably won't be able to get around that good. And if you caught the bottom of her stomach or something on the exit she could very well be dead too. Most leg shots when you shatter the bone will be fatal in time, hard to not get infection with those hits. Hopefully you can get back on her tomorrow. Good luck! It's a terrible feeling, for you and the deer. But you'll rest easier in the future if you give it every ounce of trying to find her now. Trust me on that.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2