Gun storage

Chef

So as always I’m coming to you guys for suggestions. My gun safe is full.... no I am not giving away guns but I do need more storage... I don’t really feel like dealing with a 2nd heavy ass safe or swapping this one out... my wife is not cool with trigger locks and hard cases as we have a 3 year old what would you guys do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am interested in responses... my 2 safes  are full . I have no interest in putting another 1000 plus pound  safe in on the basement.  But I need more storage. I have looked at getting a couple of smaller safes . Looked at a couple smaller liberty.  My other ones are brownings. 

You only have 3 options Chef . ( well , 4 if you want to sell your excess guns )

1 ) Buy an inexpensive safe lightweight that can be bolted to the wall . Its no where near as good as the safe you probably own now for keeping guns safe from burning in a fire , but they are excellent at keeping guns from theft.

This one is for 8 guns and has a ammo storage door . This safe only weighs108 lbs

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/homak-double-door-gun-security-cabinet-8-gun?a=533144

2 )  There are some real nice locking heavy duty hard gun cases out there for 2 guns , but they are around  $200 bucks each. I have one of those that has the recesses spots for 2 scoped rifles or shotguns . I keep my 2 best scoped slug guns in that one. Slide them under the bed or on the floor under the hanging clothes in the walkin closet.

3 ) Find room in the house to build a dedicated closet to put all your guns and hunting stuff in. Put a secure deadbolt and locking door knob on it. on it .

Edited by SportsmanNH

You only have 3 options Chef . ( well , 4 if you want to sell your excess guns )
1 ) Buy an inexpensive safe lightweight that can be bolted to the wall . Its no where near as good as the safe you probably own now for keeping guns safe from burning in a fire , but they are excellent at keeping guns from theft.
This one is for 8 guns and has a ammo storage door . This safe only weighs108 lbs
  https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/homak-double-door-gun-security-cabinet-8-gun?a=533144
2 )  There are some real nice locking heavy duty hard gun cases out there for 2 guns , but they are around  $200 bucks each. I have one of those that has the recesses spots for 2 scoped rifles or shotguns . I keep my 2 best scoped slug guns in that one. Slide them under the bed or on the floor under the hanging clothes in the walkin closet.
3 ) Find room in the house to build a dedicated closet to put all your guns and hunting stuff in. Put a secure deadbolt and locking door knob on it. on it .

I like option 3 the wife does not. I have a office I could do it with

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chef said:

I like option 3 the wife does not. I have a office I could do it with

They also make furniture with hidden gun cabinets build in   probably  a lot lighter then a safe   

-Cabinet--130.jpg

Edited by phantom
  • Like 2

A friend of mine has all his lower end guns in a cheap, locked gun cabinet (with glass doors) with trigger locks on them.  Kind of an easy score for would be thieves who don't want to put the time into a HD steel cabinet.  He can afford to "self insure" for those guns but would rely on his insurance company for the higher end guns. 

• Like 1

Keep the guns in gun cases under the bed put trigger locks on them and don,t let the wife see those guns....

So we talked some more she is good with it... the issue is with the amount of guns we are talking my and the guest rooms

Guest room?????????? that is your ticket.......Turn the room into a gun room......Heavy duty lockon the door......put 2 locks on the door bolt any windows down and your gold bro.....Who needs a guest room anyway????

Hahaha, I have a office as well. I may try to do something in there in the future... I’ve discussed ventilation, insulation, Leather furniture and cigars lol

• Like 3

I have the same issue.  I plan to take my light duty safe out of a closet it is in, install a heavier door with lock and deadbolt, plus install wall mounted locking gun racks on the wall.  I should be able to at least triple the number of guns I can store!

https://lockinggunracks.com/9-shotgun-rifle-rack/

604FAFF8-75DB-491E-A58C-54DCDD50C0D0.jpeg.8bce15c267f4b999bf9b1c104c8a9307.jpeg

Edited by Otto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chef said:

So as always I’m coming to you guys for suggestions. My gun safe is full.... no I am not giving away guns but I do need more storage... I don’t really feel like dealing with a 2nd heavy ass safe or swapping this one out... my wife is not cool with trigger locks and hard cases as we have a 3 year old what would you guys do?

I’m facing the same dilemma myself, I really don’t want anything over 200 lbs, but realistically your options are either something like a “gun cabinet” like a stack-on, which is not terribly secure in my opinion, a gun locker like Securit sells, which insanely priced for what you get, or lastly a light duty safe (best compromise imo) from a brand like Barska or similar.  Here is the one I’m thinking of: https://www.barska.com/extra-large-biometric-rifle-safe-by-barska.html

7 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

You guys do store your guns alternating butt down and muzzle down?  I hope you don't use the included rack systems?  Put a gun sock on the better ones and stuff a ship load of them in.

A pile of Blaser barrels and a single stock takes up hardly any room.

Just sayin'.

First thing you do with a gun safe, remove those racks and buy gun socks.

• Like 2

I was running into the same problem for space a number of years ago, and I have to say I took a drastically different solution. As many of us do, I had accumulated alot of firearms, many of which, no, that is incorrect...most of which hadnt been shot in years. I no longer did much or any small game hunting, so I really didnt need 7 different shotguns. Several guns I held on to, but had no use for and no conceivable plan to shoot them, and they had no sentimental value to me. I wanted to go on a moose hunt...Ultimately I sold about a dozen or so to pay to go on two different moose hunts over several years. I dont miss the ones I sold at all, but boy do I have memories of the hunts! I still have way more than I will ever shoot or can store practically and safely. I intend to upgrade a couple of my favorites (new finishes, etc)  and fund one or two custom projects that I have long wanted, so I am kind of building down. Even though I still have something like two dozen long guns, really only one is used for deer hunting with one for back up, and a muzzle loader. Keep the pump 12 gauge with two bbls, and the twenty side by side  and a .22, I probably wont miss anything else.