Gut Pile Attractant ?

fasteddie

Is it possible for deer to be attracted by a gut pile . We have a spot where several deer were field dressed . Yesterday , one of my sons shot a doe from his tree stand . He saw the 4 doe approach the gut pile and when he shot he said at least 10 deer scattered . When he got down and checked , he saw blood about 10 feet from the pile and found his doe 40 yards from there . He said the 4 that he originally saw were right at the gut pile . Any thoughts on this ? 

Matt Doe 12-03-2020.jpeg

I have had it happen a number of times. Put trail cameras on them hoping to catch fox, coyotes, turkeys and had pictures of deer walking right to them  putting their noses inches away. Don't understand it but it definitely  happens.

Gut piles will pull in all kinds of critters.

• Like 2

Deer are curious critters, they obviously don't know what guts are or smell like but I'm sure it's an earthy, natural smell that makes them curious. I've also seen and had trail cam pictures of deer smelling guts. Doesn't phase them at all.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have never worried about leaving a gut pile near a stand for this reason. I have never seen a deer alert due to one. Multiple times have shot deer near one and have seen deer go right up and smell them. Attractant maybe a stretch but they certainly are not alarmed by them.