Is it still worth getting out before daylight

luberhill

I’m really thinking about heading out when it’s light enough to see tomorrow, but before hunting hours (sunrise). The spot I have is kind of hard to navigate to in the dark, even with a flashlight, and I think I’d cause less of a ruckus by going in when I can see where I’m going. Legal shooting hours aren’t until 7:12 anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This isn't post rut necessarily,  its possibly even second rut. Many does that weren't bred will go back into estrus agian. 28 days after the peak of the first rut. Presure has taught the deer to be much more cautious but if you find low pressure areas you could see some amazing activity. Morning cruising can happen agian and often times the only bucks that can go the distance are the big boys.

• Like 5

I started seeing deer movement shortly after sunrise this morning. I was in my stand maybe 30 minutes before daybreak and almost all of the deer I saw were moving in from the direction I accessed the stand from. I have no doubt if I would have come in a little later I would have blown them out of the area. I think it all depends on your area, your access and the deer movement on your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I’m really thinking about heading out when it’s light enough to see tomorrow, but before hunting hours (sunrise). The spot I have is kind of hard to navigate to in the dark, even with a flashlight, and I think I’d cause less of a ruckus by going in when I can see where I’m going. Legal shooting hours aren’t until 7:12 anyways. 

Pair a red flashlight with reflective trail marking tacks.

Pin them high and far between, you'll have zero issues. You can use patterns or even two different colored pins to navigate multiple routes effortlessly.

Personally, ł like to be in position well before legal light. ł have punched tags minutes in to the season including my biggest buck to date and would not want to jeopardize an opportunity with a late start especially when some years ł am limited to a handful of all day sits.

• Like 2

I’ll be in 3S nice and early tomorrow after a full day of rain today. Been trying to get a good morning sit over this spot
39081c0c32d4af93e35819969b2bf032.jpg
ee3bf490077a80c5ad7264a76b37827c.jpg

Hoping she steps right through that rock wall opening on her way back from the feeding field to her bed right behind me

I’ll be in 3S nice and early tomorrow after a full day of rain today. Been trying to get a good morning sit over this spot
39081c0c32d4af93e35819969b2bf032.jpg&key=dfb3a96c636b5d767f8460b4fa04db58a8b41c02551a3dc6f35ef867f6f94118
ee3bf490077a80c5ad7264a76b37827c.jpg&key=78316cbf503bcb60bf1a6d05be13e13f247ca20259157c37ba19d153eadd2601

Hoping she steps right through that rock wall opening on her way back from the feeding field to her bed right behind me

She? You mean “HE”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I try to be in while it is just barely starting to lighten up....if overcast usually about 45 minutes before sunup. My thinking is to allow time for the woods to settle down after my disturbance, and that even if I do spook deer going in they are less likely to actually see me and place me. For me it is very exciting to see the woods change as they start to lighten up and change with the new day.

• Like 1