Keep records of your hunt !

Nomad

I started in deer hunting in 1984. The first few were fresh in my memory (still are) and then I started writing them in a notebook that I kept in the truck. After the dinosaurs died and computers were invented, that was keyed into a Lotus 123 spreadsheet and eventually an Excel sheet. I'm not a huge slayer of whitetails, but there are around 60-ish entries for me and each and every one of them are recorded.

I also have a poster sized blowup of a satellite photo of our property in a poster frame in our basement. With a sharpie we have put a red or blue dot on the plastic frame cover corresponding to where every buck or doe was taken since we've hunted there. Has to be about 90-100 dots. Pretty cool to see it now as a scatter plot diagram after all these years. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I started in deer hunting in 1984. The first few were fresh in my memory (still are) and then I started writing them in a notebook that I kept in the truck. After the dinosaurs died and computers were invented, that was keyed into a Lotus 123 spreadsheet and eventually an Excel sheet. I'm not a huge slayer of whitetails, but there are around 60-ish entries for me and each and every one of them are recorded.

I also have a poster sized blowup of a satellite photo of our property in a poster frame in our basement. With a sharpie we have put a red or blue dot on the plastic frame cover corresponding to where every buck or doe was taken since we've hunted there. Has to be about 90-100 dots. Pretty cool to see it now as a scatter plot diagram after all these years. 

that photo with the dots sounds awesome. can you post a pic or too confidential?

• Like 1

I keep a photo album that has every deer I have ever shot. I also keep a journal on here. After the season I cut and past that journal in Word, edit it up and print a copy. I have many years saved up and its fun reminiscing.
Me too, I have a picture of every deer I've ever killed in order in an album with a few notes beside it. I update it at the end of every season.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Thats something that Ive been meaning to start myself; may I ask where you got that ledger sheet? 

The original was from Deer and Deer Hunting mag, then just a spead sheet my friend made up . 

5478EB46-08AB-4642-AA30-2D8FDE83AB3A.jpeg

• Like 5

I have details about every deer I've killed-sex, weight, weapon, where I was hunting, who I was hunting with, shot distance, where the shot hit, and distance ran after the shot, I wished I would have taken more pictures. I'm envious of those of you that have more detailed records and pictures.

Sad part, way too many of the people I hunted with have passed away. It's a great way to remember them when I read my record book.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

that photo with the dots sounds awesome. can you post a pic or too confidential?

I crossed out the names. Camper photo is just stuck in the frame. It’s what we had here before we had the house built. Black squares are stand sites.

D6B8CE25-41CC-4206-9798-C3DB1BF24042.jpeg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 4

I crossed out the names. Camper photo is just stuck in the frame. It’s what we had here before we had the house built. Black squares are stand sites.

D6B8CE25-41CC-4206-9798-C3DB1BF24042.thumb.jpeg.1b3d1fdc49701f34bbaafce4cf4bc7ca.jpeg

That’s cool. Only thing close to that is when I went on a wolf hunt in Alberta once. It was a wooden box blind you hunt out of 8 days in a row. Every former hunter wrote in sharpie on the wall what they saw each of the 8 days. It was cool to read them when bored sitting in it everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That’s cool. Only thing close to that is when I went on a wolf hunt in Alberta once. It was a wooden box blind you hunt out of 8 days in a row. Every former hunter wrote in sharpie on the wall what they saw each of the 8 days. It was cool to read them when bored sitting in it everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very cool . 
when I canoed the Yukon River , there was an old trappers ,or gold miners cabin ,where everyone lined the wall, with booze bottles, and carved their name and where from into the wall as well. I’ll try and find the photo.