Corn seed

Planning on planting corn for next season, would be 3 plots, 2 plots are about 1/2 acre and one is about 3 acres.

Any advice? Where to purchase, How much seed, best time to plant, Mixing seed, etc.

Also I will be broadcasting. Central NY, Norwich NY

Thanks in advance

Edited by beagler

1 hour ago, beagler said:

Planning on planting corn for next season, would be 3 plots, 2 plots are about 1/2 acre and one is about 3 acres.

Any advice? Where to purchase, How much seed, best time to plant, Mixing seed, etc.

Also I will be broadcasting. Central NY, Norwich NY

Thanks in advance

The half acre plots will be a waste of seed ,coon and squirrel will wipe it out before deer get a chance. 3 acres good for corn. The half acres id look at radish for early bow, turnip for later season or winter rye clover mix 

The deer and geese will destroy any field under 3 acres.  I planted 10 acres of beans and corn this year. Twenty five percent of both fields were destroyed before July 15. Once they discover beans it's a problem keeping them from decimating the plot.  Add in weed control and you could be disappointed in your endeavor.  Smaller fields are better off being in oats/clover.  However, go for it and see what works. Let's us know how it turns out.

I would not go under an acre with a corn plot.   Coon control helps a lot in keeping corn available thru deer season.  Since the collapse of fur prices, the DEC has been very lenient in allowing property owners to kill "damaging" coons.  They may be killed any time if year in any quantity. "Damage" can be shown by a single bite out of an ear of corn, with an adjacent coon print.  They only ask that you burn or bury the carcasses, prior to the opening of trapping season in mid October. After that, you can just toss them into the field for the eagles and buzzards.

Coons are the easiest furbearer that there is to trap.  Three simple methods are: 1) box trap baited with peanut butter coated marshmellow,  2) dog proof trap, baited with cat food, 3) # 1-1/2 coil-spring trap, with pan covered with tin- foil, and placed under shallow water.

All three methods, used in combination, works best.  I prefer the box traps, because they dont need staking and can easily be checked from far away (kind of like tip-ups while ice fishing).  Sometimes, a wise old coon will get adept at snatching the bait without getting caught.  Having a few dog-proofs with cat food around will usually get those.

Coyotes worked better than trapping for me last season.  They seem to like coon even better than venison or turkey.  I only caught 4 coons this summer.  They were all males and the coyotes dug up three of them within a week of my burying.  After they located this "happy hunting ground", they kept it completely coon free 

Unfortunately, they are also keeping it pretty deer and turkey free.  I have to travel now, to find many of those for hunting.  I did blow a nice chance here  at a coyote last Sunday at 8:00 am with my slug gun.  It was a real pretty red one. 

My daughters were happy that I missed it twice. I was not, because those slugs cost $5 each right now. They took a video of it trying to drag off a big deer carcass a few weeks prior.

I always get corn seed free, from farmer family and friends, at the end of planting season.  It will still germinate good after 5 years if stored properly (I keep it in covered plastic containers on a shelf on the basement).  A former site member mentioned planting feed corn from TSC, with good success.  She has not been here in a couple years though (jail maybe?).  She never liked my coon eradication.  

20201210_212400.jpg

Edited by wolc123

• 2 weeks later...

Save your smaller plots for perennial blend like clover/chicory /alfalfa mix and the other for a fall winter blend. I think you will have better results. Do your big plot with a corn soybean blend. Corn is great but it doesnt do much as far as nutrition fr whitetail, besides getting energy and fats back in late season. Soybeans will fuel a whitetail soul from the minute they sprout until they rot the following spring..  Protein power lol 

Corn is very expensive to plant and get to produce.. Only down fall of the blend is they both have to be RR or planted separately. Im a big fan of offering more than 1 food er location. If planted with soybeans, you can get an early maturity bean, plant it Memorial Day weekend and you can double crop it with Bulbs and fall blends in August through September.