What Would you do?

G-Man

I'd let him pass too. I have no buck tags lol.

My biggest bodied deer here this year on cam pre season was a buck with only one side, 4 points. I guessed him at 3.5 so he had more potential but if I'd have seen him he would have died. But I would of had no others better i Knew of and small property with a lot of hunters nearby. 

6 minutes ago, knehrke said:

I wonder if it's injury related? If so, he may hold to the same characteristics next year.

He was a complete 8 then snapped his g2 near beam, a week later his beam was gone.  Id still like to see the ine that beat him up. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

I am with Nomad......my finger would not have listened to my brain.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

This year I came to the realization that I’m a meat hunter ( although I do prefer my meat to have horns ) .

Not having meat now bothers me more then not having antlers to toss in a pile .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Nomad said:

This year I came to the realization that I’m a meat hunter ( although I do prefer my meat to have horns ) .

Couldnt agree more. Its a daunting feeling, so happy the wife started hunting this year. Doubles the chances. She saw her first deer this afternoon since her BB kill opening day. She is a real trooper. 

• Like 2

It is always about the meat for me. Since he has more than three points on a side, he would be a shooter for me, at any time of the season. 

His body looks 2.5, but his rack looks 3.5 . He was looking pretty thin on 11/5 and he must be down more weight now.  It is not likely that he will survive the winter.  Coyotes don't have much trouble running down rutted-out bucks.

That said, I too would have had to pass today, because I punched my buck tag on opening day.  That gamble paid off, just like it has for the last 39 seasons. 

I thought this would finally be the year for me to see a bigger buck, after punching out, but it did not happen. I continued to hunt every chance I could, trying in vain to fill dmp's.

Hopefully, I will get a chance at a bigger one with my ML, up in the Adirondacks this weekend, or back in WNY next weekend.  

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

I gave this buck a pass tonight as its living between my house and my neighbors. Like to see what he will be next year.received_1098880257209350.thumb.jpeg.bde7d4d3b8d2a1db9046a0ac6522f9aa.jpegreceived_689009555119235.thumb.jpeg.8062bd5ba4168be5865a646b95316956.jpegreceived_1765176416973635.thumb.jpeg.d27535d7c0d8dfac759c29ef06c09dad.jpegreceived_400937204678048.thumb.jpeg.48d8df3171e84b63e8c499d9b81a1ad6.jpegreceived_387806669094845.thumb.jpeg.0a4d78af1b560ab6b7652b5cbd1b3675.jpeg

So if he didn't live between you and your neighbor you'd have corked him?  Me, I'd be filling out a tag.........

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nomad said:

That there is a big statement and totally mirrors my feelings. 

I butchered my doe from Saturday today (the other was donated to an elderly friend) and the wonderful feeling I have right now for completing that job and putting a third deer in the freezer is unexplained to many. 

She was a good sized Livingston County doe and I'm thrilled to have her.  If I hunt this weekend, I'll hunt Ontario County and could use another doe.  We ate four from 2019 (actually I have two packs of back straps left, we'll eat one this week) and would be thrilled to get another for our freezer.

• Like 4

It would be hard but I would pass on him. It's easier to say that I would pass on him knowing what he looks like with both sides on and knowing he has a good chance at making it through the season.  Also having 3 doe down also helps with that decision.

25 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I butchered my doe from Saturday today (the other was donated to an elderly friend)

I’m pushing 62 , I’m willing to be called elderly......

Ive got 4 hunts planned over W,TH,F , and we may push  mine and Joes land a bit Sat.  Would prefer to avoid late bow ,unless weather is ok . 

I do have about 30 pounds off Joes deer and 10 pounds Elk .

• Like 2