Going soft hearted

Skillet

At the risk of sounding like a sissy, I'm going to put this out there.

I killed a small buck this morning. I'm not feeling too good about it. It went ok, and it was a fast kill, but I'm just not sure how I feel about it anymore. He was just happily eating acorns, and doing his thing, when I shot him. 

It was a beautiful snowy morning, and I was blessed to share the woods with the deer. Almost felt like I ruined it by shooting.

The older I get, the less I have the stomach for killing game.

Anyone else here have trouble pulling the trigger, or a ton of remorse after?

Thinking about just buying a really nice camera for next year.

• Like 9

Been there on different occasions .Passed up many doe for this reason .But I do kill my fair share of critters ,so imo it’s normal to still have compassion for nature .Watching animals in their element is as satisfying at times as pulling the trigger .

Edited by WNYTRPR
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skillet said:

I killed a small buck this morning. I'm not feeling too good about it. It went ok, and it was a fast kill, but I'm just not sure how I feel about it anymore. He was just happily eating acorns, and doing his thing, when I shot him. 

It was a beautiful snowy morning, and I was blessed to share the woods with the deer. Almost felt like I ruined it by shooting.

I enjoy hunting, eating wildgame. I still get butterflies (at 50) when I head up to camp. Never felt the need to quit hunting, but sounds like you need a break.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Next year take a new hunter out as a goal for the season. I can tell you from first hand experience, if you want to feel a sense of accomplishment and that "rush" of a first harvest again...that is the way. 

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Sounds like you have Heart !  If you didn't you shouldn't be out there ! Keep hunting and like someone else already stated bring a youngin out next year for the experience and watch the wonder in their eyes !

I am not aware of a better finish, for a deer, than a quick kill by a hunter.   I am always thankful for the opportunities I have to bless one with such a gift.  The one that I sent to deer Heaven this year, passed as peacefully as any that I have witnessed in my 39 hunting seasons. 

Just look at how comfortable he looks, lying in the cool water, with his head resting on a log.  Often times , I have applied a finisher to the neck, when I come up on an expiring deer.  I dont like to see any animal suffer.  This one just looked so peaceful, that I couldn't do that.  Also, I wanted that neck roast.

Besides the big gift to the deer itself (pleasant ending), you are also benefitting motorists, homeowners, and other animals.  I can't see anything to be sorry about.

20201121_103936.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Just now, Fletch said:

I always have respect and thanks for any game I kill. 

I think you should have the meat dropped off at my place as you may not feel right eating it......

to soon?

Hahaha. No, I enjoy the meat and I LOVE the hunt. It's the kill that is starting to bother me.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Skillet said:

I pass alot of deer every year, the oldest hunter in camp doeas as well . I enjoy watching them . Then at some point i decide to shoot. If i dont feel like it then i dont  its pretty simple. When i decide to it doenst bother me ar all. I lost the rush of killing long ago.

• Like 5

I know two guys , very avid hunters , who just plain stopped . One in his early 60’s one in his 50’s , walls of heads, a month off for deer season type  guys , I’ve tossed it around a time or two myself . 

I agree with Gman , my pulse doesn’t rise when I take a shot, it’s become matter of fact ho hum , something I hope happens  in a few hours.....

https://1source.basspro.com/news-tips/hunting-information/6478/5-stages-hunter-which-one-are-you

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

On  a number of occasions, including several  this year, I passed on easy shots at deer simply because I didn't feel like it. Earlier this year I had a gimme shot on a nice fat four point. We love our venison and would greatly miss it if we didnt have it. The buck looked like he was enjoying his day, I was enjoying mine. No reason to rock the boat. Every deer I take I feel sad for. To me they are one of the most beautiful parts of my life to see. Probably as time goes on I have had more ...sadness with each one taking, but I can accept it for the place in life it is. I just make sure my shots are clean and I dont take more than what we need. 

Its ok to feel sad about it. When I no longer feel sad about it I hope I stop hunting. Its whats known as valuing life. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Hahaha. No, I enjoy the meat and I LOVE the hunt. It's the kill that is starting to bother me.

You may have saved that deer from being hit by a vehicle , winter starvation or dying of a disease . You did that deer a favor . 

• Like 1

I'm definitely pulling the trigger, and punching the release, with much less gusto than I did many years ago.

I do really enjoy the meat. But will, and can, certainly survive without it.

Will one more set of antlers, or another mount, make big a difference to what I already have? Nope.....not really.

I seem to enjoy the chase, more than anything at this stage. 

My final stage, will just be as a mentor. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

You may have saved that deer from being hit by a vehicle , winter starvation or dying of a disease . You did that deer a favor . 

Did it a favor? That’s the craziest thing I’ve heard in awhile. Sorry Eddie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skillet said:

Yes, I sometimes watch smaller bucks and just can't shoot. Some of it is the tranquility of the moment, some is the work ahead if I shoot so I let em walk.  Sometimes I ask myself, if that was a big buck, would I let it walk? Would I feel the same way about the kill if it was a big buck? 

I've hunted more this year because my nephew's are both hooked, and I'm the one taking them out. I get excited hearing about their hunt when we get back to the truck.  I feel their excitement and disappointment.  Definitely brings the excitement of the hunt back for me. 

• Like 1

I'm with ya, I pass tons of deer every season until I feel like the time is right or I'm ready to make the kill. I take alot of jokes for it with my friends and all but that's fine, I love the hunt and honestly go out knowing that I have no plans to kill sometimes, even though I'm still holding my bow or gun. I actually think it's a good thing to be in touch with that feeling. 

• Like 2

I think that we all have those thoughts from time to time. There has to be a reason for the hunt and that is often very personal. For me, I honor the deer by taking it from the field to the freezer to my table. Every step along the way I do myself. I feel a real connection with the game I harvest. I’ve passed on plenty of deer for lots of reasons, sometimes just to be in the moment. That usually happens after the freezer is full. I also honor the deer by doing what I can to help them get through the winter. Small food plots, pumpkins left over from Halloween and not worrying when they get into my bird feeders. 
Having said all that, it’s a personal decision you have to work out for yourself. Getting others thoughts on it can help but only you know how you want to proceed. Good luck!

This is the exact reason why I’ve changed the way I hunting no longer enjoy sitting in a stand and shooting a deer that walks by. I couldn’t care less about venison. I eat what I shoot but would rather eat beef.

When tracking I’m giving the deer every possible advantage, when I kill one tracking I know it was a fair fight. From a stand or sitting on the ground I don’t have that feeling and I don’t feel good about the kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1