ATV issue.

My ATV has started giving me an intermittent issue.  Its an automatic, and when I slow to stop the ATV, the clutch basically stays engaged, so it lugs the motor, and stalls.  It acts exactly like a car/truck that is manual, if you did not press the clutch in, but try to make a complete stop.  This is accompanied by my “4x4” light blinking.  I removed the clutch cover, and I see some electronic actuator with a fork that presses onto the primary clutch by the bolt....I think this is sticking, and keeping pressure on the primary when I experience this issue.  I was wondering if this might be gummed up with dust, etc...I have googled for other forum questions people have had.  I see the 4x4 light is basically a trouble code, where a 1 second interval between flashes, is one thing, and a 2 second interval is another issue....anyone here experience this before?  Like I said this is an intermittent problem.  When this starts acting up, i shut the machine off, then I rock back, and forth to be able to get the gear selector out of high, or low....

This started on a long ride in Maine, 450 miles we rode in a week, lots of dust, and some 15” deep flooded sections, I crawl through the water sections, but still. 

Curious if there are any notorious things to check for this issue.

2007 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 about 800 miles on it.

appreciate it guys

Kawasakis have electronic engine braking. When u let off the gas it has a arm that will put preasure on the clutch  slowing you down. Sounds like it may not be retracting when its supposed too. Id try cleaning the area the best you can, look for a frayed wire maybe, or like you said alot of dust build up.

1 minute ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Kawasakis have electronic engine braking. When u let off the gas it has a arm that will put preasure on the clutch  slowing you down. Sounds like it may not be retracting when its supposed too. Id try cleaning the area the best you can, look for a frayed wire maybe, or like you said alot of dust build up.

Yes, it definitely has an engine brake as you said.  That arm that presses against the clutch is not releasing.  I know when it acts up, when I shut it off I do NOT hear the random electronic sounds from that actuator.  When it is functioning properly, i shit it off and i hear electronic sounds brrr Wurrr like that...obviously you’re familiar.  Have you ever taken that actuator out before? Obviously, i would be careful with it,  curious if i can safety use a brake cleaner on the moving area once its out of the belt cover...i have good bit of mechanical experience, but not ATV’s

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

2 guys I ice fish tournaments with have newer brute forces and the same thing has happened to both of theirs when it was extremely cold. I’ll text them and see what they found the problem to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate it, thank you. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I would break down my snowmobile clutches every year and clean and change springs. There was always a bunch of belt dust in them. 

I even checked the rollers in the primary, no flat spots, sometimes that locks up clutches too.  Thanks for the input, i know what you are talking about, I blow the clutches out on the Mower PTO clutches at work, its like brake dust that puffs out from wear I assume.

Edited by Bionic

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Weight ramp bushing. I’m surprised because neither machine had more than 500 miles probably a lot less.

I have no idea what a weight ramp is, but I will do some homework.  Thanks again, appreciate the time.  

Edit: I see now, did not know their name.  Yeah thats crap, under 500 miles.  They had the 4x4 light flash?

Edited by Bionic

11 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I have no idea what a weight ramp is, but I will do some homework.  Thanks again, appreciate the time.  

Not sure how many weights yours has but primary clutches work off centrifugal force ,there is weights that when spun fast enough will cause the sheave to pinch the belt those weights have to pivot to drive the sheave out ,they pivot on a bushing . 

Edit: I see now, did not know their name.  Yeah thats crap, under 500 miles.  They had the 4x4 light flash?

No problem, not sure on the lights.

Next time it does it take the clutch cover off and one weight will be pushed out and the others retracted, that will be your bad one. Don’t try to rock it into neutral or anything because that may get it to redact.

If ones bad might better do the all.

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Not sure how many weights yours has but primary clutches work off centrifugal force ,there is weights that when spun fast enough will cause the sheave to pinch the belt those weights have to pivot to drive the sheave out ,they pivot on a bushing . 

I follow you, thank you

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

No problem, not sure on the lights.

Next time it does it take the clutch cover off and one weight will be pushed out and the others retracted, that will be your bad one. Don’t try to rock it into neutral or anything because that may get it to redact.

If ones bad might better do the all.

I see, had that issue on a golf cart at work.  The clutch would be sort of cocked, so it was locked onto the belt.  I gotcha, if i rock the machine it will probably unlock that.  If thats the case I will do them all, if not in 2 weeks another will fail.  Definitely not a guy who only changes the one ball joint in a vehicle because thats all that is bad, lol.  

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 8:55 PM, Gencountyzeek said:

Honestly alot of people just remove it. You will free wheel when not braking, may take time to get used to not have "engine" braking.

Thanks.  If the engine brake truly is the issue, i will fix it, I like the engine brake on hills, and trails with gravel.  

6 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Thanks.  If the engine brake truly is the issue, i will fix it, I like the engine brake on hills, and trails with gravel.  

I agree when i had a auto quad it was nice going down a hill just tapping brakes. Now i have a raptor and it can be as sketchy as i want it to be lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I agree when i had a auto quad it was nice going down a hill just tapping brakes. Now i have a raptor and it can be as sketchy as i want it to be lol.

lol, little sleigh ride effect action??  I have a rear rack passenger box on it, I can’t put Jenn at risk like that.

• Like 1