Internet Providers

Cabin Fever

Just moved into our new house today. I called Spectrum to set up service, but was told they don't provide service on my road! I checked Frontier and Verizon also, but they don't either! I'm only 2-3 miles outside the city (NOT NYC) limit, but there's only 4 houses on the road. I'm at a loss as to what my other internet providers would be. I was told to look into HughesNet, Viasat, Nomadinternet. Does anyone have any experience with one of these or can you give me other options that you would recommend? Kind of in a jam! Looks like we'll be streaming TV, have Ring, and of course just need fast internet for working from home.

I thought DSL was better then satellite ? There working on version vios in my area so I held off waiting for it.

Rural internet service
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=43457&share_tid=72314&url=https%3A%2F%2Fhuntingny%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F72314-Rural-internet-service-&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot spot from your mobile provider but that sucks as much as DSL from what I've heard 

I was streaming using my phone as a hotspot yesterday. Worked flawlessly, until I got a message that said I used 80% of my hotspot usage! I have unlimited data, but never knew my hotspot was limited.? WTF...

I was streaming using my phone as a hotspot yesterday. Worked flawlessly, until I got a message that said I used 80% of my hotspot usage! I have unlimited data, but never knew my hotspot was limited.? WTF...

I wonder if you can jump to a plan that has unlimited hot spot data ?

On 12/9/2020 at 6:18 PM, Cabin Fever said:

Just moved into our new house today. I called Spectrum to set up service, but was told they don't provide service on my road! I checked Frontier and Verizon also, but they don't either! I'm only 2-3 miles outside the city (NOT NYC) limit, but there's only 4 houses on the road. I'm at a loss as to what my other internet providers would be. I was told to look into HughesNet, Viasat, Nomadinternet. Does anyone have any experience with one of these or can you give me other options that you would recommend? Kind of in a jam! Looks like we'll be streaming TV, have Ring, and of course just need fast internet for working from home.

See if you can get in on the beta of Starlink. I've heard very good things about it. https://www.starlink.com/

• Like 1

I have unlimited mobile data as well with a hotspot. When the boys get bored in the blind we fire up the hotspot and ipads to make things fun. Heck they are 4 and 6 and seeing nothing at times sucks for any age. Well yesterday I got the same message about hotspot usage.....I thought it was unlimited as well. They get ya coming and going now a days.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

See if you can get in on the beta of Starlink. I've heard very good things about it. https://www.starlink.com/

Thanks. I went to that site and entered my email and address. No word if it’s available in my area yet.

Crazy that I’m close enough to the city limits (2-3 miles) that I have public water, but no Spectrum, Verizon, or Frontier internet! Sheesh, I may as well be living in a little house on the prairie in Walnut Grove! LOL

• Like 1

We were in same boat so we got involved with all the neighbors and went in on hooking a line to the nearest fiber optic which was like 2 miles away and then they had to run lines to each house.  Cost over 200k and it was 6k per house......  sounds crazy but we all had enough of the satellite internet which is garbage...

Ugh that’s stinks Bob, we ran into that when we looked at land at the southernmost end of our school district. 
Spectrum wasn’t available due to limited houses, I checked Hughes net and the reviews were not very good and expensive, frontier is an option but they are very very slow. Wish I had a better direction for ya but I dont. Gl

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zag said:

Ugh that’s stinks Bob, we ran into that when we looked at land at the southernmost end of our school district. 
Spectrum wasn’t available due to limited houses, I checked Hughes net and the reviews were not very good and expensive, frontier is an option but they are very very slow. Wish I had a better direction for ya but I dont. Gl

I had hughes net...  Garbage... horrible

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Thanks. I went to that site and entered my email and address. No word if it’s available in my area yet.

Crazy that I’m close enough to the city limits (2-3 miles) that I have public water, but no Spectrum, Verizon, or Frontier internet! Sheesh, I may as well be living in a little house on the prairie in Walnut Grove! LOL

What drives me nuts about this, you wouldn’t think running a cable down the poles wouldn’t cost spectrum very much, seems pretty easy to do. But I always think things should be simple and rarely the are. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

We were in same boat so we got involved with all the neighbors and went in on hooking a line to the nearest fiber optic which was like 2 miles away and then they had to run lines to each house.  Cost over 200k and it was 6k per house......  sounds crazy but we all had enough of the satellite internet which is garbage...

Going through the same thing now.  Fiber optic is 1/4 mile from my house.  Neighbor started a list of those in our area who would like to see FO extended.  

Company said they will do it if 22 homes sign up for a 3 yr contract at $120 + fees a month.  Those only a 1/4 mile from me are paying $69 + fees. 

Edited by mowin

5 minutes ago, Zag said:

What drives me nuts about this, you wouldn’t think running a cable down the poles wouldn’t cost spectrum very much, seems pretty easy to do. But I always think things should be simple and rarely the are. 

Our provider told me to run 1/4 mile of FO, which is all above ground, to everyone's pole is going to cost them almost $100 grand. If from the pole to the house is above ground, it would be free. If underground, first 300' is free and then $4.00 a foot after.  

I'm lucky, I'm 500' but all above ground.  Several houses are well over the 300'. 

• Like 2

I had hughes net...  Garbage... horrible
Same here. I still have Hughes net. The worst and it barely ever works. $90 a month for almost dial up speeds. I went through the deal with spectrum, they told me next year they are coming up the hill and then next year and next year. Its literally a quarter mile away where spectrum stops. Unreal. Looking into the elon Musk internet.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I contacted the previous home owner, as I knew they both worked from home, and relied heavily on fast reliable internet access for WebEx meetings and such. They used Nomad Internet https://nomadinternet.com/ , with no complaints. Pretty expensive at $129/month, but I have no other choice at this point, so I just ordered..... UGH!! I’ll give an update once I get the WiFi router and have things up and running, incase it can help someone else.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As a follow up, I've been using Nomad Internet for the past month without any issues. If anyone finds themselves in a similar jam, I would highly recommend looking into Nomad. No issues streaming, running Ring security system, video conferencing with Teams or WebEx, or surfing the web. Expensive, but at this point was my only option.

• Like 2