New gun

Wife heard me talking about a  used browning over under I had fondled at lgs. On our anniversary  she surprised me with a used browning o/u. She thought she had gotten the right one as it was the only one in the shop . Unfortunately  it was a fixed choke skeet /skeet. A beautiful  gun but not the one I wanted . After  explaining  the difference she  insisted we take it back and order the one I want  brand new . Lgs refunded the money but said the gun I wanted was unavailable. 

So now I'm on the prowl for for a sporting clays model  12 guage.  We looked at a winchester 101 sporting.  Love the way the gun fit . No palm swell and neutral cast .  Screw in chokes. Perfect for a lefty . .2 times the cost of the used  browning she bought. 

I walked out without  buying it  told her I would look for a different gun at a more reasonable price . I was thinking about a CZ but they all have cast and palm  swell and only make one model in left handed. 

I hate to spend alot of money on a sporting  clays gun  I might only shoot 12 times a year ...

Wife is really pestering  me to make a decision  as it's now a annaversary /Christmas  gift . What do you guys think ? Any recommendations? 

38 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I hate to spend alot of money on a sporting  clays gun  I might only shoot 12 times a year ...

I've got more than a couple guns that haven't been shot once in 12 years...... :)

I'm not happy or proud of it.  If you can shoot SC 12 times a year I'd highly recommend ponying up the cash, this isn't a rehearsal.

Merry Christmas

• Like 2

Probably not alot of help here...I am so absolutely particular in my firearm likes/dislikes, that until I found exactly to a T what I wanted I wouldnt get it. I recommend the same. Explain to your wife the importance of getting exactly the right firearm, and it might take some time and that you will, but cant rush it.

• Thanks 1

As I tell others, there are way worse things one could be spending their money on. I say get what you want and don’t regret it. The misses has signed  off on it, might as well get it . Cause we all know if momma ain’t happy nobody’s happy ;).. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

I'm not sure where you are located but my local SC range has a bunch of different O/U shotguns you could go look at.  This shop is located in Vernon, NY (Vernon National).  The owners are super nice people and will get you into something that fits you and your budget.  They started carrying the ATI shotgun brand this year and I have to say they are very nice handling and well built shotguns for the money.  The ATI company was founded buy a couple of former Beretta employees and the receivers are basically a Beretta at half the price.  Might be worth a road trip and a look.  They also carry new and used Browning's, Beretta's, Caesar's, ect.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Anybody have experience  with a winchester 101 ?

I have a Winchester 101 field model and love it. For what it's worth, you may want to check out the Cabela's/Bass Pro exclusive version of this. Half the price, and basically the same gun with a little less laser engraving from what I could see, though I could be completely wrong. The Cabelas guns are made in Belgium, the standard may be made by Miroku in Japan.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/model-101/model-101-exclusive-products/model-101-ultimate-sporting.html

Edited by Don_C

I ended up with the winchester  101 ultimate  sporting o/u from bps.  Got a smoking deal on it as they had the gun marked at the field grade price . I tried to explain it to the guy behind the counter  but he said I was wrong .... ok saved me a chunk of money ... I can be wrong all day long for $500 . 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2020 at 10:50 AM, Nytracker said:

Oh ok ... I was thinking a sub model .. the only problem is left handed firearms are limited run  could be a year or more 

Can't say I have ever seen a "left handed" side by side or over & under. Didn't know they made such a thing.

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

Can't say I have ever seen a "left handed" side by side or over & under. Didn't know they made such a thing.

Most guns right handed will have a bump on the stock where the palm fits . That is palm swell. Then the stock will have a slight bend  to help the eye center the bead .This is cast..  Cast very but aparently start at around 15 degrees.  If you take a gun that has cast while holding the barrel  sight down the barrel to the stock its more noticeable.