Tree Identification Video - Black Oak, Red Cedar, Hackberry

26 minutes ago, Pete Collin said:

Why?

Sarcasm + Inside joke, recently a member called another member out over alleged misidentification of an obscure subspecies of tree.  In a totally unrelated thread.  It just kind of mystified everyone.  

Moving on:. Interesting video, thanks!  I haven't seen a Black oak on my land, but we have a lot of diversity in subspecies of White oaks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, G-Man said:

Pignut and bitternut hickory..

Well that's understandable.  We have shagbark, shellbark, bitternut, pignut, and mockernut hickory.  they can be diffficult to differentiate.  And in the logging world, There's shagbark and everything else, as far as the pricing is concerned, giving loggers little incentive to discern between them.  Believe it or not, when bitternut hickory grows real well, you can veneer the butt log.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pete Collin said:

Well that's understandable.  We have shagbark, shellbark, bitternut, pignut, and mockernut hickory.  they can be diffficult to differentiate.  And in the logging world, There's shagbark and everything else, as far as the pricing is concerned, giving loggers little incentive to discern between them.  Believe it or not, when bitternut hickory grows real well, you can veneer the butt log.

Yes i understand that and with exception of shagbark,they hard to tell  unless you have nuts or leaves in hand from my experiance. I am.having some bitternut cut this winter just to many and left by loggers everytime. My oak and maple were being shaded out.

I'm in the process of getting 3500 hemlock cut off roughly 100 acres (on paper, it's actually way more because how damn steep it is).  Plus some misc. hardwoods to sweeten the pot.  Right now they're excavating the landing at the bottom of the "hill".  Hoping we get a hard freeze for a couple weeks with no snow.