Scope ring loose ?

luberhill

Bought some new bolts , got it all sighted in .. brought the crossbow home and noticed the scope ring was loose , not the one you put your eye against but the opposite end.

I thightened it but wondered if this would change my POI ?

I can’t imagine it would but I’m not really sure what this threaded ring does 

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Yes it can and likely will change POI. 

Again , it’s NOT the rings that the scope mounts to the gun... it’s the threaded round ring on the end of the scope itself ..

there is one you put your eye against when shooting , and another on the opposite end of the scope ,,, this is the one that was loose 

47 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Again, it’s NOT the one on the eye piece ... it’s the opposite end ,,, see pic above 

objective bell

If you mean the ring to focus the scope at distance, no it will not impact your poi on a crossbow.   If it’s some other type of ring based on scope construction, it still shouldn’t make a difference.   If you were shooting 200yds with a rifle, the objective focus ring can change poi slightly if not properly set.   If that doesn’t answer your question, I cannot be of any help.  If you are really concerned, just take a few more shots to confirm.  

Edited by moog5050

11 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The objective ring will not change you POI. the cross hairs are internal and on many scopes its more like a thread protector and you can unscrew it and screw in a longer one that is a sun shade. 

xbow scopes have a sun shade?  Must be for those 1000 yds  shots possible with an xbow.  lol

• Like 1

None of my Leupolds, Redfields or Nikons have any sort of ring...all permanently closed/sealed.I have never seen any brand scope with a threaded objective...haviing also owned Weaver, Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, Burris.... My concern would be for air/moisture getting into it. It will happen when you dont want it to. I would contact the mfg. in regards to that. 

Are you referring to a threaded ring on the inside of it? That would seat the objective lens.

24 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

None of my Leupolds, Redfields or Nikons have any sort of ring...all permanently closed/sealed.I have never seen any brand scope with a threaded objective...haviing also owned Weaver, Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, Burris.... My concern would be for air/moisture getting into it. It will happen when you dont want it to. I would contact the mfg. in regards to that. 

Are you referring to a threaded ring on the inside of it? That would seat the objective lens.

Humm 

Anytime my optics are nonfunctionaly loose or if it is working improperly after I make adjustments I would only feel comfortable if I shot it again. I also shoot all my weapons regularly... bow weekly minimum, and firearems almost daily. I swear by the old statement "shoot more, shoot more often". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmartinson said:

Anytime my optics are nonfunctionaly loose or if it is working improperly after I make adjustments I would only feel comfortable if I shot it again. I also shoot all my weapons regularly... bow weekly minimum, and firearems almost daily. I swear by the old statement "shoot more, shoot more often". 

I am even scared to look at measly reserve to think about shooting firearms weekly. :( Plus none in the market to back fill it. I have always bought new and shot old.

But to OP , shoot your crossbow and make sure its all good still.

Edited by suburbanfarmer