Would this work

Yes, the multiple tills would work, and any venison you harvest off the plot would be truly "organic".  That is always the way I do it, planting a wheat/clover mix around September 1. 

After a late spring plow/disk till, I use a spring tooth harrow (drag), every couple weeks to keep the plots weed-free until planting time.  Deer like oats a little better than wheat, but wheat will do better in the late season. 

The guys who use gly to kill the weeds can't certify their venison as "organic".  For a good full season plot, an oat/wheat/white clover mix would be good.  If you really want good early bow season action, add some soybeans to that mix.  Those are like candy to deer when they sprout.  With global warming,  they can last until mid-October.

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Yes, the multiple tills would work, and any venison you harvest off the plot would be truly "organic".  That is always the way I do it, planting a wheat/clover mix around September 1. 

After a late spring plow/disk till, I use a spring tooth harrow (drag), every couple weeks to keep the plots weed-free until planting time.  Deer like oats a little better than wheat, but wheat will do better in the late season. 

The guys who use gly to kill the weeds can't certify their venison as "organic".  For a good full season plot, an oat/wheat/white clover mix would be good.  If you really want good early bow season action, add some soybeans to that mix.  Those are like candy to deer when they sprout.  With global warming,  they can last until mid-October.

Where do u buy the seed

How does multiple tills get rid of weeds? Don't they just breakdown and regrow?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

How does multiple tills get rid of weeds? Don't they just breakdown and regrow?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It is mostly a timing thing.  Each time the weeds are tilled, it adds the organic material back to the soil.  When the plot seeds are planted, after September 1, they tap into some of that for their own benefit.  This works particularly good on level seedbeds, where erosion is not an issue.  Not so great on hillsides however.

Most weeds need seeds to grow, and if you stay ahead of them, with multiple tilling, they dont have time to produce seed to regrow, while your intended seed is all ready to germinate, as soon as it goes into the ground. 

Then again, so is weed seed that is tilled up from deeper, or that blows in from adjacent areas, but those numbers are usually insignificant compared to what you are planting.  If there is enough moisture in the ground, your plot seeds will start growing immediately, getting a good "jump" on the weeds. 

An adjustable drag works real good for these multiple tillings, because it can be adjusted shallow to keep from bringing up weed seed from down deep.  In these days of near record low fuel prices, and increasing demand for organic foods, mechanical tillage is making a comeback.  

20201211_214853.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Yes, it will work but you may want to add a radish or turnip into the plot thec1stvyear as clover takes 2 years to fill in and they would be a good attractant the 1st year. As the oats /winter wheat grow it will die out and then in ealry spring frost seed more clover in bare spots.

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The guys who use gly to kill the weeds can't certify their venison as "organic". 

Do you think the deer don't get into a neighbors ag field's or orchards where herbicides are used? Deer travel a long ways throughout the year.

Edited by E J

The plots in my photo above are 2 acres of corn, 1/8 acre of turnips (in front of corn), and 1/2 acre of wheat/clover/soybeans not yet in at time of photo.  

That last plot only took a couple intermediate tillings, because I planted buckwheat, as a cover crop after the first one.  That re-sprouted after I tilled it up the first 2 times, as you can see to the right of the tractor.  It can't handle a frost though, and was completely wiped out by that, when it re-sprouted a second time, after the tilling shown in the picture.

Edited by wolc123

Just now, E J said:

Do you think the deer don't get into a neighbors ag field's where herbicides are used? Deer travel a long ways throughout the year.

It all depends on how much land you have and/or how high your fence is.

Edited by wolc123

7 hours ago, luberhill said:

Rent a three point tiller,, mow the pc short then around August till it.. as soon as I see any growth till again

End of August broadcast spread clover mixed with oats,,,

Would it be high enough to eat by start of bow season and would it reseed its self so I wouldn’t have to redo 

Your plan should work. The clover should come in good next spring. The oats won't come back. On my property the deer are very picky when it comes to food plots. They won't touch regular seed oats but they will eat the oats in the whitetail institute oats plus mix.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, E J said:

Your plan should work. The clover should come in good next spring. The oats won't come back. On my property the deer are very picky when it comes to food plots. They won't touch regular seed oats but they will eat the oats in the whitetail institute oats plus mix.

Wont the clover come up in the fall if I plant it in august ?

then continue year after year to grow 

Yes you'll have some clover in the fall but you won't believe how much more you'll have in the spring/early summer as it warms up. How long your clover plot continues to do well will be determined on how well you control the weeds and if you over seed or frost seed yearly. With good weed control by mowing when needed and frost seeding annually you can probably get 4 or 5 or possibly more years out of it.

Ive found that clover will come up year after year and it really is liked by deer but its far from maintance free mowing a couple times is min. weed control is a pain thats why im getting away from clover in the spring summer and early fall most areas have enough natural food, also ive found to have a good clover plot your ph as to be at least a 6.5 that can also be a complete pain ,,, also ive found once you get your first frost the clover stops growing and the deer usually have mowed right down to nothing around nov1st, leaving little or no food, If your looking for a bow spot clover is great but it can be a short window

2 hours ago, land 1 said:

Ive found that clover will come up year after year and it really is liked by deer but its far from maintance free mowing a couple times is min. weed control is a pain thats why im getting away from clover in the spring summer and early fall most areas have enough natural food, also ive found to have a good clover plot your ph as to be at least a 6.5 that can also be a complete pain ,,, also ive found once you get your first frost the clover stops growing and the deer usually have mowed right down to nothing around nov1st, leaving little or no food, If your looking for a bow spot clover is great but it can be a short window

Looking more for gun

• 2 weeks later...

Kill first before you till, or till, wait then kill sprouting weeds and grasses. then plant. If you are planting In august, I would add a bulb, Radish or Turnip. Or wait until Early september and do Oats and clovers. Your biggest issue is controlling weeds. and getting new seed to germ and grow asap.. 

You can also just skip the tiller, Grab your seed, spread it, roll your vegetation over the top of the seed 2 or 3x, then spray gly on it.. a day or two before a rain.. Oats and Clover germ pretty easy, But clover sprouts very slow as it builds roots first..