Used Car Sales

Moho81

Just wondering but have car dealerships pretty much stopped negotiating the price of a used car?

My wife’s lease is up in January and we decided that we aren’t going to lease another vehicle which puts us into the used car category.

We have looked at 3 vehicles so far. The first one they took $742 off the price and tossed in a remote starter which brought the vehicle into the top of our price range and we almost had a deal but they wouldn’t fix 2 items that to us made it a deal breaker. They where not Safety items just long term maintenance items that would have put the known burden on us to take care of down the road.

Vehicle number 2 they would not budge on the price at all and in fact where a bit dickish about it. After a close look at this vehicle it was in an obvious accident as doors and panels didn’t line up on the passenger side so again we passed on it.

3rd was a little out of our budget but if they had some wiggle room to negotiate I think we could have made it work but again they would not move off the listed price online. The vehicle would have worked for us but in the end the payments just were out of our comfort zone. The 2 guys we talked to at that dealership where nice and even explained how they price their vehicles.

Long story short I was a bit frustrated last night after a long week of work and 3 days spent at dealerships.

If dealerships no longer negotiate on used vehicles that’s cool. My wife will just adjust her searches accordingly but is that the new standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trade in values were high this year to help sell new vehicles. 

Unfortunately with it being a lease we don’t have anything to negotiate with on a trade.

I did float the idea out to both dealerships of trading my truck in and purchasing 2 vehicles from them just to see if that changed their thoughts on pricing but they both pretty much didn’t care.

BIL is a salesman at a ford dealer . He specializes  in commercial  fleet and upfits . He also sells light  trucks and cars when he can . They were real short in new vehicles do to covod shutdowns and parts from overseas.  Very little new to sell translate few used to sell.  Good  used vehicles are at a premium. He actually told me to hold onto my truck another year as there was no good deals to be made. 

Edited by Nytracker

My experience was the same.  All the used vehicles I looked at had issues, mostly small, that the dealer did not and would not address.  In addition, the cars were rough cleaned, and not detailed.  Visible stains on upholstery.  It basically looked like they were selling them exactly as they were traded in and non-negotiable.  Note of caution: many leased vehicles have been repaired off insurance so the carfax will be clean although the vehicle isn't. 

My experience was the same.  All the used vehicles I looked at had issues, mostly small, that the dealer did not and would not address.  In addition, the cars were rough cleaned, and not detailed.  Visible stains on upholstery.  It basically looked like they were selling them exactly as they were traded in and non-negotiable.  Note of caution: many leased vehicles have been repaired off insurance so the carfax will be clean although the vehicle isn't. 

We got our girls a car this year and I brought it back twice for cleaning, they did a crap job. It still isn't great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unfortunately with it being a lease we don’t have anything to negotiate with on a trade.

I did float the idea out to both dealerships of trading my truck in and purchasing 2 vehicles from them just to see if that changed their thoughts on pricing but they both pretty much didn’t care.

Are you looking at private too? Most cars are pretty well made these days I wouldn't hesitate to buy a two or three year old vehicle from a private seller. You can even purchase a warranty, they'll call you anyway lol

• Like 1

BIL is a salesman at a ford dealer . He specializes  in commercial  fleet and upfits . He also sells light  trucks and cars when he can . They were real short in new vehicles do to covod shutdowns and parts from overseas.  Very little new to sell translate few used to sell.  Good  used vehicles are at a premium. He actually told me to hold onto my truck another year as there was no good deals to be made. 

Does he want to make a deal on a few years old Ford Edge and maybe an F150. Lol.

Are you looking at private too? Most cars are pretty well made these days I wouldn't hesitate to buy a two or three year old vehicle from a private seller. You can even purchase a warranty, they'll call you anyway lol

I did not think about a private sale. I guess it’s not out of the question.

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We got our girls a car this year and I brought it back twice for cleaning, they did a crap job. It still isn't great

I killed two birds with one stone, giving my old car to our daughter, and buying a new SUV for myself.  They had plenty on the lot to pick from in September and the prices were good.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

Does he want to make a deal on a few years old Ford Edge and maybe an F150. Lol.

My cousin is a salesman at west herr ford in Amherst if you want an intro.  Don't know that he can offer a better deal but he will try to do you right.

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger. Mint condition and only 9,500 miles. I would sell it to you for $50K. Or $45K along with any other cool items you might have?

Have a very good friend who is way up the food chain at a dealership in Canandaigua. In late August I called him up and asked if he could take a look at my wife's 2017 Nissan Murano with 52,000 on it. We took a ride to his dealership and within a 1/2 hr. He tells us the vehicle is in great condition and the miles are a little high but he'll give us 18,000 for the trade in. She wanted a 2020 or 2021 Hyundai palisade with a third row. Bingo bangon we take one for a ride...she loves it but wants captain chairs with the walk through to the third row for the kids and there are none to be found. Long story short fast forward to a few weeks ago call a friend who sells gmc and he gives us a great deal on a gmc acadia........the kicker is within 3 months the trade in value plummeted and he got us 13,500. Said that used car values are way down, the lots are loaded with used cars and wait a few months to see if things straighten out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I recently bought a new truck. I got a couple thousand more for my trade in truck than I anticipated. The dealer told me used trucks in decent shape are bringing good money. There however wasn't much wiggle on the advertised internet price.

I have a 2019 Ford Ranger. Mint condition and only 9,500 miles. I would sell it to you for $50K. Or $45K along with any other cool items you might have?

I’m not sure I have any cool items that may be of interest to you.

• Like 1

It’s sounding more and more like the advertised price on a used vehicle is the price we are going to pay.

Salesmen #1 sent us another vehicle this morning that checks all the boxes and is in our price range out of the gate. Sounds promising but I’m certainly not getting my hopes up we will go look at it Monday after work.

4 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Trade in values were higher this year to sell more new cars , that's why you arn't able to negotiate on the price ,because the dealership paid more for the trade ins. 

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yes definitely this.  Plus people being laid off etc looked more to used than new.  Less new cars on lots as well so low mileage used get snatched up quick.

Truck sales were higher then last year , Ford basically sold out of trucks once they went to retool for the 21s