Arts and (Bush) Crafts

On 12/13/2020 at 9:26 PM, Steve D said:

Sound like a great project. One thing that may help is salt the hide for 24 hrs. then use a hog scraper to get the smaller/stubborn areas of meat off before tanning.

Look forward to reports on your progress.:good:

Oops forgot the pic.

hog scrapper.jpg

I had never seen one of these until we cleaned out my grandparents home this fall. My family raised hogs in the town I live in way way back in the day and I have two of these now! These suckers even outdate @Pygmy

C798F8D9-F33D-4045-8160-B45AD82937FD.jpeg

67149940-B2D5-41A5-ACC8-A22B7E44AA11.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Zag said:

I had never seen one of these until we cleaned out my grandparents home this fall. My family raised hogs in the town I live in way way back in the day and I have two of these now! These suckers even outdate @Pygmy

C798F8D9-F33D-4045-8160-B45AD82937FD.jpeg

67149940-B2D5-41A5-ACC8-A22B7E44AA11.jpeg

No kidding..I have two just like those on the nightstand by my bed..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I saw a cool video where they flesh with a power washer. I'm wondering if I can convince my neighbor would de-winterize his lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have fleshed a couple cow hides with pressure washer, it works great.

Layed hide over a 6" pipe. Have to get angle just right.

• Like 1

Time to make buckskin leather.  My experience is too wet for too long. You can try drying it but that is alot

Yeah...I’m Pissed. I only did it since my buddy liked the way this hide looked.

Doing this during the winter without access to a hose to really rinse the salt bath well may have been my huge mistake. I definitely need to dry the fur side more as well before putting on the tanning solution. Oh well,,,guess I need to shoot another one and try again...just not sure I can make my broad head hole look like a bullet hole!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, crappyice said:

Yeah...I’m Pissed. I only did it since my buddy liked the way this hide looked.

Doing this during the winter without access to a hose to really rinse the salt bath well may have been my huge mistake. I definitely need to dry the fur side more as well before putting on the tanning solution. Oh well,,,guess I need to shoot another one and try again...just not sure I can make my broad head hole look like a bullet hole!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would pull that hair and make buckskin. You.have put in alot of work, dont waste  it. Once I did this to a fox pelt, I got frustrated and threw it away. I later saw some items made from fox leather and have been kicking my own ass ever since.