My favorite bullet sabot combo

Buckmaster7600

I love tinkering with muzzleloaders have for a long time. It’s getting boring now. I killed my 9th deer with the this load tonight and the same outcome, 10yds and in a pile. Shots range from 5-193yds about every angle other than an ass shot and always the same outcome, dead in 10yds or less. Huge exit holes and tons of blood, 1 shot at 10yds in the white spot facing me and found a perfect pedaled bullet in a back ham, that’s the only bullet I’ve recovered. Loads easy shoots dang near Moa. Shot hundreds of bullet and sabot combos and this is by far the best I’ve found.519abb2a1f165ecc9b5e9d4852fb3943.jpg

e05c6cf085840ad965e75a0fbec281cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Before i jumped into the smokeless game i tinkered with alotta bullets and guns and loads with Blackhorn.. always came back to a Barnes bullet of some sort.. there is no doubt in my mind they are the best muzzy bullet for guys shooting blackhorn or pellets!  Now that i shoot smokeless out of a custom bolt build i like to send these missles at a blistering 3170fps! Bang flop!

20201213_210602.jpg

• Like 2

Before i jumped into the smokeless game i tinkered with alotta bullets and guns and loads with Blackhorn.. always came back to a Barnes bullet of some sort.. there is no doubt in my mind they are the best muzzy bullet for guys shooting blackhorn or pellets!  Now that i shoot smokeless out of a custom bolt build i like to send these missles at a blistering 3170fps! Bang flop!
20201213_210602.jpg&key=f13494d6a47f1c34759a2d94edd62ec830c02a3ef0387db6d388bbf1490aa6ae

I can’t begin to imagine the recoil from that!

I’m sure it’s a lot heavier than my 5lb muzzleloader or my 6lb 450bushmaster that i shoot the same bullets at 2400fps from both.

Thanks to you I switch over to the barnes harvester and blackhorn combo.Knocked a doe down this year hit her high and back but it didn't matter she dropped in her tracks.When i butchered her the bruise went from the top almost around the cavity.Very impressive !!!

I used a heavier bullet

IMG_2890.JPG

• Like 2

Been using Harvester Scorpion PT Gold for a bit now. Put Traditions Carnivores in an old CVA Wolf and it shoots very well, too. Took a doe last season with it and had a short track job.

The PT Golds are nice but hard to find locally. I stocked up when I found them in a Cabela's in Indiana on the way home last month. Have enough to do some range sessions and hunt for next two seasons or so.

Been using Harvester Scorpion PT Gold for a bit now. Put Traditions Carnivores in an old CVA Wolf and it shoots very well, too. Took a doe last season with it and had a short track job.
The PT Golds are nice but hard to find locally. I stocked up when I found them in a Cabela's in Indiana on the way home last month. Have enough to do some range sessions and hunt for next two seasons or so.

I tried the scorpions for a season and found them to not expand the way I like them too unless you hit big bone. They were similar in performance to the hornady SST’s.

45 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Any thoughts on this one 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/traditions-nitrofire-muzzleloader-rifle-with-scope-combo

Seems super easy to clean but each shot is $2.70

Check out midway USA , I just bought a CVA optima V2 . They have others but limited stock. But do have some you can back order . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I tried the scorpions for a season and found them to not expand the way I like them too unless you hit big bone. They were similar in performance to the hornady SST’s.

I wouldn't disagree in premise, but they are ever so slightly a littler better on expansion and load really well in the field. Shoot very well, too.

Barnes seems to be the bar setter for common man's MZ bullets though, no question about it. I've had a few SST kills that I scratched my head at about expansion but been happy with the PT Golds so far and drove me to switch to begin with - started with regular Scorpions then PT Gold about 4-5 years ago.

I'd probably switch if I had more time/interest in using a MZ - they're exclusively my late season option here in NY so the $ investment to tinker just isn't validated for me. I'm just on my second tin of BH209 since 2011, so that's about 65 shots per tin or so over the years between hunting and sighting in. If they put in the early season MZ time then I'd probably get more interested in it, too. Also if I can convince myself to take time for an early out of state MZ season, ha. No idea why but I struggle with taking time off work for early season to go out of state. If I am burning PTO its going to be for all-day sits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sbuff said:

Been dropping deer with these in a harvester crush rib sabot .

20201214_163232.jpg

Nice , I have a bunch of 270 grain deep curls for my 44 mag. So I have some harvester sabots in my midway cart for the  44’s waiting to be ordered . Cant wait to try/ shoot them in my new CVA I just ordered.