January Firearms Season

BBHHC

I haven’t taken one on Long Island yet but from what I’ve seen the past couple years in January the first couple weeks are best. After that the deer get extremely spooked and are constantly running. I usually go out solo and just still hunt. With all the standby rules and having to be back by 30mins after sunset it is really tough to sit in a tree stand since you can’t really hunt sunrise and sunset times which are best. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. I hunt here on LI too. First and foremost is know the area your hunting. Start looking for deer sign now. Are you hunting private land or public land? Sure anyone can get lucky walking into a new area and get a deer. But area knowledge is key to continued success. I'm lucky as I hunt private land on LI. Usually we hunt sit in the morning and see what pops up then set up drive after lunch. It is January so bucks are already back to their pre-rut pattern. Which means mostly night moving with an hour in the morning and evening. Now on public land if you can scout it now and find your spot quickly and sit tight. With so many people going into the woods here they will be jumping the deer all day. 

3 hours ago, The Engineer said:

Welcome to the forum. I hunt here on LI too. First and foremost is know the area your hunting. Start looking for deer sign now. Are you hunting private land or public land? Sure anyone can get lucky walking into a new area and get a deer. But area knowledge is key to continued success. I'm lucky as I hunt private land on LI. Usually we hunt sit in the morning and see what pops up then set up drive after lunch. It is January so bucks are already back to their pre-rut pattern. Which means mostly night moving with an hour in the morning and evening. Now on public land if you can scout it now and find your spot quickly and sit tight. With so many people going into the woods here they will be jumping the deer all day. 

I've been hunting on LI private land for years. This will be a first for me on public

If you're willing Ill ask my friend. Its a lot of walking (10 miles some days), but if you're serious I can get your paper work done

Probably not this year, but thanks for the offer! I love the walking but with wife and daughter’s both bdays in January weekends will be tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Been hunting LI public for years, but this will be my first time doing the January firearm season. After seeing the amount of entries, I will probably be taking the climber in so I'm not sitting ground level with all these guys walking around firing off slugs. Appears a bunch of people will be walking through woods, hopefully this will push some deer towards me. Good luck all!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 1:23 PM, BBHHC said:

Next month will be my first time hunting the January firearms season here on LI.

What's usually the best strategy? Stalking, set up the tree stand, organized drives..?

It depends when and where you are hunting. I tend to sit all day as I know multiple drives are going on ! WEAR LOTS OF BLAZE ORANGE!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wztirem said:

It depends when and where you are hunting. I tend to sit all day as I know multiple drives are going on ! WEAR LOTS OF BLAZE ORANGE!

Agree it depends where and when you are hunting.  Regarding the public land: I prefer to move and cover ground.   Appreciate there has been 3 months of bow hunting already (plus small game hunting) and by day 2 of the firearm (shotgun/ML) season the deer are on high alert and well aware they are being aggressively hunted.  Many bucks will have already shed their antlers and if you do get one with antlers DO NOT drag it by them.  Lastly, there is a contingent of locals/regulars that like to act/behave like this is their private property (example "don't shoot shed bucks or big does that could be shed bucks").  Ignore their attitude and don't be intimidated.  

• Like 1