January Firearms Season

BBHHC

18 hours ago, Spear said:

How many of you are heading out tomorrow? This is my first shotgun season I'll be partaking in. Is it going to be like PA opening day?

I am going out tomorrow as well, reserved the one car spot at Henry"s Hollow in Southampton. Where are you hunting?

Having never hunted in Pa, I do not know what you mean.

3 minutes ago, wztirem said:

I am going out tomorrow as well, reserved the one car spot at Henry"s Hollow in Southampton. Where are you hunting?

Having never hunted in Pa, I do not know what you mean.

I'll be heading out on Wednesday, but will have to do standby as my reservation isn't until the 13th - I'll be in Rocky Point.

Many people that hunt rifle opening day in PA say it's like WW3 with the amount of shots heard...I was just joking if it's mayhem on the Island during shotgun season.

Rocky Point on opening day can be noisy .Numerous parking spots,many hunters, with multiple organized deer dives occurring. Deer will be moving all day (especially today with the weather being terrible). Opening week is usually very busy.

Honestly people just sit now. It feels like not many people do drives anymore. My group was one of the only people doing drives on the days we hunted. Most others just sat. Probably why we'd come back with 4+ deer and theyd maybe come back with 1. The first week, the deer are usually still moving fairly free and not running full speed on drives. After that, they hold tighter and really get to moving when spooked 

2 hours ago, wztirem said:

Rocky Point on opening day can be noisy .Numerous parking spots,many hunters, with multiple organized deer dives occurring. Deer will be moving all day (especially today with the weather being terrible). Opening week is usually very busy.

I’ve seen a few “interesting” posts in this thread. It doesn’t matter if it’s opening day, weekend or weekday, that WILL NOT dictate how much shooting you hear. I was out with clients today and I’d say at least 95% of the shots I heard today was duck hunters and I heard a lot of shooting today. The shotgun season is running into the heart of our waterfowl season and there’s not a field out east that’s not leased for goose. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

To the low life’s who felt the need to kill a deer, On property that’s not even open to hunting, cut the head off and leave the carcass, Your the lowest form on earth. Your not a hunter but a criminal.

4A2C290F-ED24-4B62-A94F-BA3F62D74F39.jpeg

Agree and all too common in 1C.  Perhaps it is this activity in mind behind the proposed "wanton waste" law; an additional charge if they catch this criminal.

2 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Truly sad. From the body it doesnt even look older than a 2yr old. So the rack wouldnt be enormous either. Such a waste

Deer on LI are generally of smaller stature.  They can be small bodied and have large racks even at 2.5 years.  They live very charmed lives with an abundance of food and very low hunting pressure; except on public (State) land.

Edited by DoubleDose
addition
  • Like 2