Best method for this time of years?

luberhill

Just now, BowmanMike said:

if you are going to get some snow from this upcoming storm i would recommend still hunting. It is a ton of fun and you will learn.a lot from following/observing fresh tracks.

If there is fresh snow i dont know how anyone sits still.

?? You recommend still hunting , but dont sit still ??

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, luberhill said:

?? You recommend still hunting , but dont sit still ??

Still hunting is moving slow hunting,  stand hunting is not moving hunting..  still hunt is a slow deliberate walk ,or stalk that may take an. Hour to cover 100 yards. 

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I LIKE you, Partner  !!  Do you have a sister, by any chance  ?...

Yup I do , she’s about 450 pounds , 3 chins on the back of her neck, a patch over her eye and a neatly trimmed beard !

I’ll forward your contact info to her, she’s available at the current time !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, genesee_mohican said:

It all depends on where you are hunting. Unpressured private land, I'd be inclined to see on or near a food source and cover. Pressured public land, hunt with someone and do small drives or still hunt.

It’s very unpressured but they still seem to move after dark or before light 

3D88065A-3EE3-4BF8-B39D-F31A30B80390.jpeg

FAC3D3B0-5D3F-490A-B500-11E3FD320D84.jpeg

74D10398-9F76-4BC5-9C46-6476DA37CE69.png

If you get snow do some still hunting.  Take your time keep your head up and be ready to shoot quick.  Nice thing with the snow they stick out so you have a great chance of seeing them before they see you.  If there not hitting the fields until after dark set off the field more or you need to go after them.

I was amazed on my drive home after my hunt Monday evening. I saw 9 deer feeding before dark!

I'm still not sure what my plan will be tomorrow. The private land I hunt doesn't have any crop fields, mostly pasture and a few hay fields. So far, I haven't seen much sign in the hay fields. There are several really swampy areas, but I'm not about to venture into them, especially in the snow, I'll have a twisted ankle within 15 minutes. 

I thought about still hunting, I've just never really done it, and I don't want to run everything out of my woods with the weekend still to hunt. I guess I still have some time to develop some kind of plan...

Edited by Splitear

35 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Yup I do , she’s about 450 pounds , 3 chins on the back of her neck, a patch over her eye and a neatly trimmed beard !

I’ll forward your contact info to her, she’s available at the current time !

My dream girl...<<sigh>>.... Tell her I'll  bring the rubber sheets and Mazola Oil....Slip-N-Slide !!!....

• Confused 1

Scout and collect/digest info more than hunt at this time of year, even if you have to observation hunt, if you're not going to the deer. 

These colder temps and pending snow are a God send for this time of year. It will force deer to thermal cover or thick bedding and narrowed food sources that you can try to get in between. Oftentimes you only get one or two chances in the MZ season before deer respond to the pressure, which belies the scout more than hunt part. Historically for me my encounters with good bucks are at first light or in the afternoon. The commentary on still hunting is also relevant for those with the ground to do so. Our ground isn't set up for still hunting due to parcel size much, but that is an option above all else if you have to and cant get zero. Might as well go to them if you can't figure them out. Worst case, you learn.

Late season hunting can be super fun; it's one of the most underrated times of the season to connect. We spend alot of time in summer with work in mind for late season - IE food plots for late season, specific trails or paths to get to spots that can be hard to get to with deer on a plot or field, etc.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^ Stalking is what I think of when you're slowly walking around constantly looking for a shot opportunity. Still hunting to me is sitting still in one spot. Suppose there's a hybrid or combination of the two methods, stilking. Add that to your deer hunting vocabulary... :pleasantry:

Still-hunt bedding. What you see on the camera is a fact. The struggle is real. If you want to kill deer food sources on the coldest day may work, they may bed move around on sun facing slopes, however if you want to kill mature deer they are very difficult to get moving in daylight.

4 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

^^^ Stalking is what I think of when you're slowly walking around constantly looking for a shot opportunity. Still hunting to me is sitting still in one spot. Suppose there's a hybrid or combination of the two methods, stilking. Add that to your deer hunting vocabulary... :pleasantry:

I've always been taught still hunting is moving slowly and cautiously while protecting yourself from the wind and exposing yourself to your prey, could also be referred to as stalking. Sitting is sitting, may be you could call it ambush hunting. I think this is all Symantec, just dont road ride and blast them out the window, and dont shoot them on land where your not supposed to be.

3 hours ago, luberhill said:

It’s very unpressured but they still seem to move after dark or before light 

3D88065A-3EE3-4BF8-B39D-F31A30B80390.jpeg

FAC3D3B0-5D3F-490A-B500-11E3FD320D84.jpeg

74D10398-9F76-4BC5-9C46-6476DA37CE69.png

Unpressured means they dont know your there to me imo, if you have bumped them or left your scent in the woods they are not unpressured. You may have less pressure than other places, but that definitely doesn't mean that they don't know your there.

my best opportunities with late have been the first or last hour. That said, I've had a few magical days where the woods explode, often referred to as the "second rut", which is a debate in and of itself, but there is some truth that does that aren't bread in early November will go back into heat. To see it with snow on the ground is magical. 

• Thanks 1