Fisher

moog5050

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I used to have a white throat monitor as a pet when I was younger.  It was about 5' long.  One day it escaped and I didn't realize it until my father's neighbors called and said a giant lizard ran into our front bushes.  I suspect they also thought they were losing their minds.   lol

And for the record, they really are not great pets.  

5'?!!! wow

As far as I can tell they wreak havoc on the turkeys. I started seeing thier tracks where I turkey hunt 5 or 6 years ago.. Its the only animal we have locally that can catch a grey Squirrel in a tree. I am not a fan. Last spring I watched one hide under a big roost and wait for them to come down.... lucky for me the turkeys knew that also and flew off. I then proceeded to call them back around and shoot one of the toms in its stupid ugly face. Was neat experience but an eye opener. If blackbelliedBill is reading this likely these are also responsible for declining population of birds and I also wonder why I cant shoot them on sight in any season. 

my fisher story, as related to me by my FIL. One weekend in the northern zone, My wife and I could not go on Saturday, so my FIL and his friend, Bud went. Guy wasn't too tall but he sure was fat. Reminded me of a beach ball in profile. My FIL sent him to a stand that I had constructed for my wife. I had taken a rock pile and hollowed it out, making a seat inside and it was high enough to keep the wind off of her. Anyway the buddy got inside and waited. My FIL saw a fisher go past him, doing one of those loping gaits. He said to himself that he hoped that Bud would get to see it. A few minutes later he heard screaming, rocks clattering and here comes the fisher streaking along his backtrack. He goes down to see Bud and he gives  him his somewhat rattled story. Seems the fisher was headed generally towards the rockpile, and Bud then lost sight of it until it jumped into the rock seat with him. Both scrambled away and neither were hurt. I  wish I had been there to witness this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2