Cold Weather Hunting

fasteddie

What do you do to survive sitting out in the real cold weather ? I find that I haven't learned to walk slow enough to any stand . I usually work up a little sweat and then after a little while , I cool down and get cold . 18 degree weather is no picnic to be sitting out in the woods . Even if it's 30 degrees out , if it was 16 degrees overnight , that tree that you are sitting against with your back is still 16 degrees . Suggestions ?

Sitka was a good buy for me. I rarely have more than two layers (base and Fanatic). Every once in a while I'll put on the celsius midi jacket but I can't recall a time where I needed to put on a midi under the bibs. Makes life easy. I usually go in, in my base layers, with the fanatic set in my pack and I throw them on just prior to the stand. I too struggle with working up a sweat regardless of my walks in - so I get down to just bare minimum base layers and it seems to offset really well.

I did buy a battery heated vest for $50 this year on a whim and that has worked well and in fact used my lighter Stratus and Fanatic vest several times this year where I would have historically used Fanatic bibs/jacket. A few hot hands/feet and good to go.

People make fun of Sitka or the similar expensive lines, but I've seen a huge ROI on the cost in my opinion. I am wayyyyyyyy more capable of spending stand time in this colder weather than I used to be.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phade said:

Sitka was a good buy for me. I rarely have more than two layers (base and Fanatic). Every once in a while I'll put on the celsius midi jacket but I can't recall a time where I needed to put on a midi under the bibs. Makes life easy. I usually go in, in my base layers, with the fanatic set in my pack and I throw them on just prior to the stand. I too struggle with working up a sweat regardless of my walks in - so I get down to just bare minimum base layers and it seems to offset really well.

I did buy a battery heated vest for $50 this year on a whim and that has worked well and in fact used my lighter Stratus and Fanatic vest several times this year where I would have historically used Fanatic bibs/jacket. A few hot hands/feet and good to go.

People make fun of Sitka or the similar expensive lines, but I've seen a huge ROI on the cost in my opinion. I am wayyyyyyyy more capable of spending stand time in this colder weather than I used to be.

Ive said it 1,000 times, spend more on clothing and footwear than bows and guns!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phade said:

I’m on the fence , I can get Sitka at 40% off and still I’m hesitant, I do, need new bibs though .

Im happy to see you don’t wear much underneath, I asked another member what he wore under his jacket , Merino wool,base, Sitka hoody, Sitka vest, Sitka bibs under his jacket . Well that’s more layers then the cheap stuff I wear , I was hoping to get an answer like yours .

If I’m dropping the $$$ I shouldn’t have to wear as many layers , your experience is encouraging.

The bibs not being water proof is a turn off though Cabellas has a highly rated pair that is waterproof I’ve been considering.

Edited by Nomad

3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

What do you do to survive sitting out in the real cold weather ? I find that I haven't learned to walk slow enough to any stand . I usually work up a little sweat and then after a little while , I cool down and get cold . 18 degree weather is no picnic to be sitting out in the woods . Even if it's 30 degrees out , if it was 16 degrees overnight , that tree that you are sitting against with your back is still 16 degrees . Suggestions ?

Merino wool and toe warmers. Oversized boots and lots of light layers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’m on the fence , I can get Sitka at 40% off and still I’m hesitant, I do, need new bibs though .

Im happy to see you don’t wear much underneath, I asked another member what he wore under his jacket , Merino wool,base, Sitka hoody, Sitka vest, Sitka bibs under his jacket . Well that’s more layers then the cheap stuff I wear , I was hoping to get an answer like yours .

If I’m dropping the $$$ I shouldn’t have to wear as many layers , your experience is encouraging.

The bibs not being water proof is a turn off though Cabellas has a highly rated pair that is waterproof I’ve been considering.

I was a historical 9 layer guy lol. I have a hand me down Sitka outfit and I bought a First Light outfit. Both cold weather gear. I always wear a thin compression base layer it just works for me with comfort and keeps ticks out. Now I just put a med weight wool thermal and that is it. I always carry my coat in on my pack and the FL gear my bibs have zippers the whole way up the sides I open up on way in. When I get to stand zip up, throw on coat. Put my neck gator and 2 beanies on and I am toasty as a bug in a rug.

The gear is worth it. I will never go back...

29 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Larry

if that’s a reference to me, I don’t wear those under a jacket.   I don’t wear a jacket.  Wool base layer, hoodie and fanatic vest 90% of the colder hunts.  If it’s colder than that I can just wear a base layer and my first lite cold weather jacket.  Lower is base layer and either stratus or fabric bibs depending on temps. 

havent used the first lite heavier jacket yet this year. 

Edited by moog5050

3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

The key for me to stay out for hours and not sweating on the walk in is I get dressed on stand and take my time walking to stand, I  just wear thermals, pants and hoodie walking in and all other layers are carried to stand in a pack. Put on another hoodie, a jacket, heavy bibs, full face mask, pull over both hoodies on head when I get to the stand. In this weather and heavy snow I also break out the Baffin boots.  The key is wear the bare minimal on the walk in and layer up when you get to your stand.

Edited by NYBowhunter

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Larry

if that’s a reference to me, I don’t wear those under a jacket.   I don’t wear a jacket.  Wool base layer, hoodie and fanatic vest 90% of the colder hunts.  If it’s colder than that I can just wear a base layer and my first lite cold weather jacket.  Lower is base layer and either stratus or fabric bibs depending on temps. 

havent used the first lite heavier jacket yet this year. 

Yep, I guess I misunderstood . 

If I can wear one thin layer under I’d be happy . My body is a highly regulated machine after all ,I should’d need to much under , in fact when I die it’s being donated to the U of R medical school ! Think of the excitement the students will have with a perfect specimen! Along with the cures it’ll, lead to !

Ill instruct my attorney to, give my Sitka to Biz .

• Like 1

Of course be sure not to wear ANY cotton whatsoever. Move slow going in. If I have to go any distance in, I carry my parka and leave my cowl /hat combo off, only putting them on when I arrive. Avoid caffeine...it is a vasoconstrictor and makes for cold hands/feet. I agree totally with those mentioning bibs....they cover the abdomin/kidney area, keeping alot of heat in and wind out. Other than totally avoiding cotton, I wear a total mismash of gear. Fleece henleys and pullover, fleece sweat pant over heavy weight poly long underwear, I have a pair of stretch wind proof fleece pants that I wear when the temps really drop, and if its in the low twenties or teens I stick hand warmers in my pockets, boots upper arms and chest pockets.

Best advice I have is to not get sweaty walking in. I don't have any long walks to stands, but I force myself to go slow. One of stands is a short, but steep 300 yards from my truck. I'll wear my clothes, but coat will be open, bib legs fully unzipped, 1/4 zip shirts open, no gloves or hat, and I've learned to walk 20 steps slowly, and then stop for 10 seconds, repeat. Not practical for those who walk long distances, but good for me.

I also do not get fully dressed until I'm ready to hunt, Even on the short drive to my NY spots, I don't wear coat, bibs, or boots. I dress in my brother's garage or while seated on my tailgate when I hunt in Pa.

I lost a bunch of weight this year, and needed new baselayers. I splurged on First Lite, a set of lightweight and a set of heavyweight. Merino wool and worth every penny-cost more than my first car!

Sitka Fanatic coat and neck gaiter. Merino wool and compression fit by UA and Legendary keeps me pretty warm when cold hits. Pants are Sitka and UA cold compression pants

My Son is friends w someone who got us great discount on Sitka stuff so we tried it and its as advertised great stuff but expensive.  Me likes and gives thumbs up 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nomad said:
Yep, I guess I misunderstood . 

If I can wear one thin layer under I’d be happy . My body is a highly regulated machine after all ,I should’d need to much under , in fact when I die it’s being donated to the U of R medical school ! Think of the excitement the students will have with a perfect specimen! Along with the cures it’ll, lead to !

Ill instruct my attorney to, give my Sitka to Biz .

I wear under armour base layers 2.0 or the 4.0 depending on how cold. Then old school Cabelas whitetail extreme pants and a jacket. In between the base layer top and my jacket i sometimes wear a KUIU hooded sweatshirt merino thing. I absolutely hate the cold too and i'm fine in temps below zero. When it's really cold i wear Cabelas 2000 Inferno Pac Boots. They are bulky but keep me warm. All my stuff is 7-12 years old, so I'm sure the newer stuff is even better by Sitka, KUIU, etc.  

Pic attached is a single digit February day, but not my above-mentioned warmer boots. I also bow hunt in this same outfit and have no issues drawing since my layers are minimal

44c6fac98aef76d84029bfde2e582ac2.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

I wear under armour base layers 2.0 or the 4.0 depending on how cold. Then old school Cabelas whitetail extreme pants and a jacket. In between the base layer top and my jacket i sometimes wear a KUIU hooded sweatshirt merino thing. I absolutely hate the cold too and i'm fine in temps below zero. When it's really cold i wear Cabelas 2000 Inferno Pac Boots. They are bulky but keep me warm. All my stuff is 7-12 years old, so I'm sure the newer stuff is even better by Sitka, KUIU, etc.  

Pic attached is a single digit February day, but not my above-mentioned warmer boots. I also bow hunt in this same outfit and have no issues drawing since my layers are minimal

44c6fac98aef76d84029bfde2e582ac2.jpg&key=bc4b33bab4469a8aad1f90ab5f802f94e5d7eb408aba24e755818ed2d1ee954d

What gun are you carrying there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently using Cabela’s MT050 outer layers. Very happy with them, although it wasnt really too cold this year in WNY through regular season. I also have Cabela’s Stand Hunter base layers which are insanely warm, they don’t make them anymore for some reason. I can’t even wear them unless it it is below 20, or I’m a sweaty mess before getting to the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lomax said:

Sitka Fanatic coat and neck gaiter. Merino wool and compression fit by UA and Legendary keeps me pretty warm when cold hits. Pants are Sitka and UA cold compression pants

My Son is friends w someone who got us great discount on Sitka stuff so we tried it and its as advertised great stuff but expensive.  Me likes and gives thumbs up 

Ya I get the discount to and this is why it’s in jeopardy, it’s only for those who are approved by Sitka and their dependents listed on their 1040 . Sitka recently tightened up the process because of abuses ,and I can see it ending  .

I understand you just took advantage of a great offer, but that guy is a screwing it up for the rest of us .

I had to send them copies of my ID and retirement paperwork  work to be considered .

2A119C28-201C-453A-926A-900C102539AE.png

Edited by Nomad
  • Confused 1

Walk in with the lightest layer on I have and won't get to cold.  Usually my base layers and a sweatshirt on top and base layer and jeans. Cool off in the stand before I finish getting dressed.  I wear the Mickey mouse military boots.  Once I get to the stand I put a hand warmer in between my sock layers and one in each boot.  Then place those big body warmers one in the middle of my back about kidney level and one on the bottom of my sternum.  Then put the rest of my layers on. Usually a medium pair of gloves and hand warmers in the pockets and I'm good to go.  

36 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Ya I get the discount to and this is why it’s in jeopardy, it’s only for those who are approved by Sitka and their dependents listed on their 1040 . Sitka recently tightened up the process because of abuses ,and I can see it ending  .

I understand you just took advantage of a great offer, but that guy is a screwing it up for the rest of us .

I had to send them copies of my ID and retirement paperwork  work to be considered .

2A119C28-201C-453A-926A-900C102539AE.png

I am not sure how you get your discount do you work for sitka or I’m guessing you’ll get it because you’re a retired firefighter My sons friend is an outfitter who can extend offers to families and friends As he has done that in the past simply sent a link on their website to my son to get a discount so I don’t think he’s screwing anything up for anybody and we didn’t  have to send any ID or retirement paperwork because I’m still working and so is my son so different program.  I f it were me I am not sure I would send retirement paperwork and ID to get a discount on clothes...course that wasn’t even required to vote recently so IDK but it’s good cold weather gear. 

• Like 1

2A119C28-201C-453A-926A-900C102539AE.thumb.png.4448a975cee465eb662036ce9d3a1714.png
Is Sitka really losing out that bad on their end #'s??...... I understand it's good....and has a cult following but I can't really see them taking a huge hit if someone has a buddy who buys them gear through the discount program and then three other guys pay full tilt for a setup. If they were going to participate in a discount program maybe they should have limited the amount of pieces you guy buy at a discounted price in a calendar year.

I have buddies who are local law enforcement and border patrol guys who get tons of discounts on things ranging from under armour to oakley.....but the kicker is they can only get a few items a year with the big discount.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1