Cold Weather Hunting

fasteddie

I stillhunt, so I have some options to control my comfort level. I usually wear a light base layer under Kryptek Vellus pants and jacket, or old school Woolrich buffalo plaid coat and Johnson green woolies for colder conditions. Feet get sprayed with scent free antiperspirant, then a pair of Coolmax polypro socks under a pair of Darn Tough merino wool socks, all in a felt lined pak boot with plenty of wiggle room for my toes. Hands get 1/2 finger glomits with a light pair of merino wool glove liners. I wear one of those hand warmer muffs with a couple of chem packs or Jon-E warmers in it.

Basically, just the energy spent slowly pussy footing around is enough to keep me comfortably warm without sweating. If I do start to get too warm, I can open outer garments to dump heat, and I can slow my pace down even more. Conversely, if I get cold, I can increase my pace a bit or work up a steeper incline to generate more body heat.

• Like 1

I'm sold on toe warmers.  I guess age and circulation issues caught up with me. Woo linerl toe socks, very expensive wool outer socks and very expensive winter boots... and my toes still get cold fast. Not so with the toe warmers.

On 12/16/2020 at 6:42 PM, Lomax said:

I am not sure how you get your discount do you work for sitka or I’m guessing you’ll get it because you’re a retired firefighter My sons friend is an outfitter who can extend offers to families and friends As he has done that in the past simply sent a link on their website to my son to get a discount so I don’t think he’s screwing anything up for anybody and we didn’t  have to send any ID or retirement paperwork because I’m still working and so is my son so different program.  I f it were me I am not sure I would send retirement paperwork and ID to get a discount on clothes...course that wasn’t even required to vote recently so IDK but it’s good cold weather gear. 

Yes 40% off for police fire military , but only for yourself and family . If outfitters can extend then my bad, although I c at see why  . But I know for a fact if I ordered like 5 coats in different sizes ,it would raise a red flag .

Which is why the program has been tightened up .  As far as paperwork you redact certain numbers .

Just looked up, outfitter program , I would say he’s abusing it . It’s for his personal and professional use . 

F1D593A9-6030-4132-BB52-55AE46485238.png

DA3EBC85-01DF-410F-9BCD-FA32E33854FC.png

Edited by Nomad

On 12/16/2020 at 12:52 PM, Nomad said:

I’m on the fence , I can get Sitka at 40% off and still I’m hesitant, I do, need new bibs though .

Im happy to see you don’t wear much underneath, I asked another member what he wore under his jacket , Merino wool,base, Sitka hoody, Sitka vest, Sitka bibs under his jacket . Well that’s more layers then the cheap stuff I wear , I was hoping to get an answer like yours .

If I’m dropping the $$$ I shouldn’t have to wear as many layers , your experience is encouraging.

The bibs not being water proof is a turn off though Cabellas has a highly rated pair that is waterproof I’ve been considering.

I have both the Fanatic and the Incinerator sets and I only wear a hoody and sweat pants under any of mine. Spend a hair over 2 grand for the sets but worth every penny. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Yes 40% off for police fire military , but only for yourself and family . If outfitters can extend then my bad, although I c at see why  . But I know for a fact if I ordered like 5 coats in different sizes ,it would raise a red flag .

Which is why the program has been tightened up .  As far as paperwork you redact certain numbers .

Just looked up, outfitter program , I would say he’s abusing it . It’s for his personal and professional use . 

F1D593A9-6030-4132-BB52-55AE46485238.png

DA3EBC85-01DF-410F-9BCD-FA32E33854FC.png

Yep we get the same 40% off.  We got ours for Christmas two years ago he just sent us a link and we could order through him directly no limitations.  Though we didn’t order five coats who can afford that.    He’s an outfitter my son worked for and he was able to offer a discount as a result plain and simple.  So No abuses.  Perhaps the abuse has came more on the program you’re buying under....that cause you to have to provide ID and retirement paperwork as that has a wider audience.  

On another note I think I saw you posted you had a heated vest well I told my wife about it and I’m getting that for Christmas too besides the Dead On book so I got to thank you nomad for a couple of Christmas presents that you had a hand in but didn’t have to pay for...the best kind

Good luck on dropping one of them slammers you saw today.  There getting closer get em 

• Like 1

I have a heated Milwaukee jacket that I wear over a vest and a couple under layer long sleeve shirts . Also wore insulated Bib overalls which kept my back / Kidneys warm .I was comfortable today sitting out in 21 degree weather . My feet got cold while wearing LaCrosse ( Herman Munster) insulated boots , toe warmers and heated insoles . 

My wife bought me a Milwaukeed heated sweatshirt for Christmas .

• Like 1

Just now, fasteddie said:

I have a heated Milwaukee jacket that I wear over a vest and a couple under layer long sleeve shirts . I was comfortable today sitting out in 21 degree weather . My feet got cold while wearing LaCrosse ( Herman Munster) insulated boots , toe warmers and heated insoles . 

My son has the same heated jacket.  He wore his today duck hunting on Owasco Lake.  He swears by it.  Getting a heated vest for Christmas looking forward to some cold weather sets with that.