Standard Transmissions...How many can operate one ??

Pygmy

Me on the column and floor...circa 1984
Grew up sneaking out and push/pop starting my brothers 78 Volkswagen with my girlfriend Vicki in 1985 so we could go parking.  The battery was in the backseat so had to be careful...,which we weren’t...best times eva

14 minutes ago, left field said:

Thank god the shift pattern is the same on RH drive cars.

When I first moved to Malaysia, I was coming home one night after a long day and I entered a roundabout the wrong way. That was a an exciting 20 seconds.

Righthand can be interesting. In town it was easier in traffic as you cheat and just follow everyone else.  But I got to a 6 lane  intersection and was the first in line making a right across traffic. It's a lot of pressure so you dont look stupid.lol

Yep, between dirt bikes , atv’s , our farm all tractor and my dads old 69 and 70 international one tons I could since I was like 9. It has been some  time since but  it’s like riding a bike. You talking about the auto beer truck, when I wrenched at the bus garage the school buses were auto’s. Those automatic  Allison transmissions were very  strong stout units,  very impressive. 

Edited by rob-c

Learned to drive off road in a 1970 Chevy C60 dump truck, 5 speed transmission with a 2 speed rear axle. I had a 1978 Nova with a 3 speed column shift, a 1981 Corolla with a 5 speed, a 1982 Accord with a 5 speed, a 1983 Tercel 5 speed, 1989 Toyota 2wd truck with 5 speed, a 1989 Celica 5 speed, a 1989 Acura with a 5 speed, 1995 Camry with a 5 speed, and 1996 Tacoma 4wd with a 5 speed. First auto was a 2004 Tundra when I was 41 years old. Yeah, I think I could still shift if I had to!

Edited by Will_C

I remember being 16 and my grandfather telling me to move his Ford pickup. Wasn't hard to learn and just seemed the "right" way to drive a truck.

Had a job one summer in the early 90's driving tanker trucks. It was before the CDL license nomenclature and was a Class III. I thought I knew how to drive one until I tore up the Hi/Low range on a small tanker the first week there. "Leave the damn button alone!" said "Pappy" the mechanic. He wasn't pleased with me lol. Something very satisfying about the whole 4 speed, double clutching, hi/low red button popping sequence to operating a commercial vehicle. 

Was driving a beastly '92 Silverado 4x4 w/ a 4 speed for much of last year. Funny thing. I just purchased a new to me large sedan for my daily driver. Big cabin inside. My brain subconsciously thinks its a standard as a drive it lol. I pull up to a light and my left foot instinctively moves to push in the clutch that's not there! Weird.

I prefer standard transmission for my long daily commute. ITs better on fuel than an automatic and in the winter you cant beat it! 5spd 2.2 ecotec are bullet proof high fuel mileage combo. 

I had to teach myself when i was 18, my boss told me I had to take the f450 to the job site by myself. Talk about pucker pop!  It was an 1986 with a Bored 460 Race motor with headers, talk about an animal! And loud! lol  It had a dump box full of top soil, towing a tri axle trailer and a 44hp Diesel Ford tractor. I never did stall it but it sure was interesting! I love driving standard, and so does my wife. But my next vehicle may be an automatic as my 34yr old wife has RA and doesnt enjoy shifting anymore.. 

Everytime i get in her Tahoe im looking for the clutch and the shifter as i approach stop signs lol !! 

I learned to drive a stick at 15 working, it was an old jeep with a super stiff clutch! I thought for sure when I let out the clutch that thing was going to flip! It looks like most of us here are old enough to have driven several cars/trucks with standard trans. I taught my wife to drive a stick(more ways than one) and to this day she hates stop signs on a hill! Especially on her motorcycle! The real test was when my son was stationed in England and we visited. I rented a car to go sight seeing and it was a stick shift. I had to shift with my left hand! Gas and clutch were in the same positions but you had to drive on the wrong side of the road! Every time i went to make a turn, I turned on the windshield wipers! Lol

• Haha 1