Your Christmas Dinner This Year?

Lawdwaz

It is definitely going to be stuffed cabbage.  it will be the "real" style cabbage rolls, made with ground beef, over at my parents house.  Mom usually has the extended family over.  This year, it will be just my wife and I, and our two daughters.  We had planned on staying home, but my folks are adamant about us coming over.  

I like my wife's stuffed cabbage a bit better.  She makes it the "lazy" style, using ground venison, and with all the ingredients just mixed together. There are no actual rolls, so it is easier to make (hence the "lazy" description).  It is also easier to eat, and the venison makes it more heart-healthy than when ground beef is used.  I also prefer the flavor of venison over beef.

It looks like we will be having lazy style at home over New years.  It wouldn't bother me to eat my favorite meal every day, and I feel very blessed that the top two women in my life still fight over making it for me. 

One of the advantages of sharing a birthday with our Lord and Savior, is being able to pick the meal.  I am thankful that it won't be chicken or turkey.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Def scaled down for family this year .  But Ham, scalloped potatoes, vege, cranberry pretzel salad, pie for desert. Tray of cookies from Mom to take home.  Usually add in another casserole, Oreo cookie cake, dips and cheeses etc, but most of the family isn't coming.  My mom is in her 80s and some of the family have jobs they are exposed to lot of people, teacher, police officer, HR director etc.  So they won't be coming. 

• Like 1

Heading to my parents house tonight we'll have ham and turkey there. 

Christmas day we head to the inlaws just before dinner time everyone will bring a side and I'll be grilling venison steaks on the grill in the snow  for 11 of us.

Just got back from picking up our potato-cheese pierogi and our smoked kielbasa from Pulaski Meat Market in Utica. Will also have succotash. Our traditional Christmas dinner. Wife will probably have some Expresso Therapy ice cream from Stewarts, which she loves.  I will probably have a Sierra Nevada Torpedo or a Southern Tier 2X IPA. Coffee all day.

We ended up deciding on filet mignon.   Brussels sprouts, garlic mashed potatoes and beer.   Oh and a couple glasses of cabaret....holy cow was it good.   

Considering Christmas dinner usually is a pile of people at my sisters and tons of food and drinks, this was almost (almost) a sensible sized dinner.   :)

pan seared then finished in the oven....

8A510608-0836-488E-989F-86F45DAB639C.jpeg

• Like 4