Anyone rabbit hunting with beagles?

32 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I'm in 7h we are going to hunt Saturday. My b-bads are pretty new at it. I dropped them on tracks in our back yard for last year but im hoping this is their time to shine.

20200829_052726.jpg

If I may I think you’re saying they haven’t been down since last year? Now is their time to shine? 
If so understand that’s not the way to do it. Most guys I know run dogs all year. They’re actually beyond ready come season. That goes for any dog, beagle, bird dog, coon hound. Expecting them to “learn as you go” at best leaves very limited to no chance. 

I'm actually ignorant to it. I grew up with tricolor and some of my best memories with my dad were running rabbits. The dogs were our pets also, now that I'm a dad, and a dog lover I thought it was a good time to get some beagles to raise with my kids. We hunt everything year round and this fits our lifestyle. So inquired at my local beagle club and this was.waht I was told and shown to be a proven hunting line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

If I may I think you’re saying they haven’t been down since last year? Now is their time to shine? 
If so understand that’s not the way to do it. Most guys I know run dogs all year. They’re actually beyond ready come season. That goes for any dog, beagle, bird dog, coon hound. Expecting them to “learn as you go” at best leaves very limited to no chance. 

I dont have a membership to a beagle club i harness a domestic rabbit and use it to train them. I use dead rabbits i find and drag them and I have dropped them on tracks as often as possible. I dont really have any knowledge more then what I read and watch. 

16 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

I'm actually ignorant to it. I grew up with tricolor and some of my best memories with my dad were running rabbits. The dogs were our pets also, now that I'm a dad, and a dog lover I thought it was a good time to get some beagles to raise with my kids. We hunt everything year round and this fits our lifestyle. So inquired at my local beagle club and this was.waht I was told and shown to be a proven hunting line.

Hey don’t think I’m trying to put you down. I’m only offering insight. If you want pm me and I’ll give you my number to help if I can

On 12/17/2020 at 4:29 PM, Bolt action said:

So a beagle got frisky with a lemon and these two are the result? That's pretty cool..

Back in the day, beagle breeders would kill lemon pups.

Glad to see some breeders don't practice that anymore.

Good Luck hunting.

I’ve never heard that. Where were they doing that? (Killing lemons) Some lines it’s a pretty common color and some are old school lines. 
Now I should say I, personally,  don’t subscribe to “old school”. Imo once a breeder dies and doesn’t decide who breeds who the line changes so don’t misunderstand me. I’m curious though. 

Hopefully I'll get the dogs out this weekend, snow permitting, now that deer season is over. I'm not too worried that they haven't run a track in a few months. Its like riding a bike for them although like anything else, practice makes perfect. They'll be fine and in a few weeks will have all the wrinkles ironed out. Nothing like listening to beagles run a rabbit.