For those who butcher their own

First-light

So I usually get a regular cut done at the processor. 4 roasts, loins butterflied, bunch of ground and the rest round steak. Most of the time when I take out round steak to cook I find one or two pieces that could pass for loin, it's that tender. I do get a lot of loin just thinking some of it makes it into the round steaks? 

The backstrap/loin goes from the neck down into the hind legs. I break the hind legs down by sections sirloin tip,bottom round,rump and what some call top round/eye of round but tips the end of the loin.I keep them together because there very tender almost a pinkish color.I I'm not doing a neck roast i'll do the same up front.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rachunter said:

The backstrap/loin goes from the neck down into the hind legs. I break the hind legs down by sections sirloin tip,bottom round,rump and what some call top round/eye of round but tips the end of the loin.I keep them together because there very tender almost a pinkish color.I I'm not doing a neck roast i'll do the same up front.

Wow yes the meat is pinkish in color and real tender. Thank you!

• Like 1

It depends on the deer for me.  On adult deer, I typically grind all but the back straps, tenderloins, and a neck roast. I like roasts and steaks from older deer, but our kids are not crazy about them.   

On button bucks, which I am usually blessed with quite regularly, I make lots of small roasts. They are so good that even our kids like them.

I also think it's the eye of round.  I remove mine from the roast. There as good as the inner tender. 
Eye of round between top and bottom rounds in the hind quarter are tender but definitely not as tender or as good as tenderloins or portions of backstraps. My opinion though obviously. Shape and texture close to tenderloins though.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Eye of round between top and bottom rounds in the hind quarter are tender but definitely not as tender or as good as tenderloins or portions of backstraps. My opinion though obviously. Shape and texture close to tenderloins though.

Yet, the eye round is so nicely protected from any cavity juices that the inner loins seems to absorb like a sponge IMHO (which is quite biased against the inner loins)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different way of doing things. Looks like it would be easier breaking down the reara hanging than laying it out on the cutting board .

That's what I do. Filet it off whole and lay it out and you can clearly see the muscle groups. I do a lot of the separating with my fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

The only thing an eye of the round has in common with a tenderloin is the shape. They arent even close.

Here is what I would do with mature buck if I was starting with an empty freezer.

Its hanging, so let's start at the bottom

Shoulders..
Take the shanks off into the grind grind lug
Take both blades and trim them in whole blades steaks.
Cross cut one shoulder into two pot roasts.
The other shoulder grind it.

Neck( chuck) bone this right out, trim it good, roll it and tie it. Then cut the ends for the grind lugs. Take the remaining center and split it into two pot roasts.

If it's a big buck trim the flanks up, if it's small toss them in the grind lug.
Take the ribs and bone them out in one section, trim up good and toss them in the grind lugs.
Same with the brisket.

Boin out the whole loin on both sides.
Trim them well. Cut one side into three pieces for the grill. Cut the other into butterfly chops.
Take out the inside loins, trim them and leave them whole.

Split the Hinds. Take the shanks off and cross cut them for osso buco.

The heels grind
The sirloin tips, take the silver side off and slice cutlets. The rest make some nice stew.
Sirloin, trim it and leave it whole as a steak
Split the bottom from the eye. Square up the rump end of the bottoms and take 6 steaks off each, the rest is good for stew or grinds.
Eye rounds, stew em
Top round, square it, take three London broils off the front, a couple steaks and then stew out the short side.

The only thing I would add, if you want an oven roast in addition to the pot roast....use a top round.

That will give you a little of every thing.

The only thing an eye of the round has in common with a tenderloin is the shape. They arent even close.

Here is what I would do with mature buck if I was starting with an empty freezer.

Its hanging, so let's start at the bottom

Shoulders..
Take the shanks off into the grind grind lug
Take both blades and trim them in whole blades steaks.
Cross cut one shoulder into two pot roasts.
The other shoulder grind it.

Neck( chuck) bone this right out, trim it good, roll it and tie it. Then cut the ends for the grind lugs. Take the remaining center and split it into two pot roasts.

If it's a big buck trim the flanks up, if it's small toss them in the grind lug.
Take the ribs and bone them out in one section, trim up good and toss them in the grind lugs.
Same with the brisket.

Boin out the whole loin on both sides.
Trim them well. Cut one side into three pieces for the grill. Cut the other into butterfly chops.
Take out the inside loins, trim them and leave them whole.

Split the Hinds. Take the shanks off and cross cut them for osso buco.

The heels grind
The sirloin tips, take the silver side off and slice cutlets. The rest make some nice stew.
Sirloin, trim it and leave it whole as a steak
Split the bottom from the eye. Square up the rump end of the bottoms and take 6 steaks off each, the rest is good for stew or grinds.
Eye rounds, stew em
Top round, square it, take three London broils off the front, a couple steaks and then stew out the short side.

The only thing I would add, if you want an oven roast in addition to the pot roast....use a top round.

That will give you a little of every thing.

What do I do with the remaining day and a half of that week?

• Haha 1

Yet, the eye round is so nicely protected from any cavity juices that the inner loins seems to absorb like a sponge IMHO (which is quite biased against the inner loins)

Theres no cavity juices if you're shooting forward of the diaphragm. If you don't I could see the difference in meat quality .

Me and a buddy did two last night. 3.5 hours from hanging to cleaned up, lights out and walking out. We vacuum seal and have changed how we go about things over the last couple years. We are never sure what we want to eat at any particular time so here is what we opted for. 

Back straps trimmed and in about 8" long sections

inner loins together in a bag. 

Neck is taken off the bone in a single chunk and used for pulled venison or chunked 

Hinds are trimmed into roasts and frozen as single roasts. (no cutting of steaks). 

Front shoulders and all the rest is trimmed and chunked. This is saved with all the like bags from the deer in the season for our February sausage making. 

If i want steaks I take out a roast and cut it appropriately. if I want jerky I take out a roast, partially thaw and put it through the meat slicer. It's there ready to roll if I want a roast. if I want burger I grind a roast. I can't glue it back together but can cut it however I want down the road. It' cuts down on the processing time as well

• Like 5

Different way of doing things. Looks like it would be easier breaking down the reara hanging than laying it out on the cutting board .
Done it both ways and it is faster and easier on a table if you're trying to stay tight to bone and not have much loss or slice into things. Saw the spine off at the base and then down the middle to split the two hind quarters. Many times its take the whole leg off at the socket to put on the table. Sometimes I take the whole thing off the bone hanging except the shank but it's pretty slow. Depends on how much room I've got in the fridge. Bones make the quarters long and bulky.

Me and a buddy did two last night. 3.5 hours from hanging to cleaned up, lights out and walking out. We vacuum seal and have changed how we go about things over the last couple years. We are never sure what we want to eat at any particular time so here is what we opted for. 
Back straps trimmed and in about 8" long sections
inner loins together in a bag. 
Neck is taken off the bone in a single chunk and used for pulled venison or chunked 
Hinds are trimmed into roasts and frozen as single roasts. (no cutting of steaks). 
Front shoulders and all the rest is trimmed and chunked. This is saved with all the like bags from the deer in the season for our February sausage making. 
If i want steaks I take out a roast and cut it appropriately. if I want jerky I take out a roast, partially thaw and put it through the meat slicer. It's there ready to roll if I want a roast. if I want burger I grind a roast. I can't glue it back together but can cut it however I want down the road. It' cuts down on the processing time as well
Same here except I do grind later. I let it sit in container with a drain. Whole portioned pieces even when vac packed help protect the meat too.

• 2 weeks later...

What’s everyone’s feelings on hanging skinned deer (in a mesh game bag and under pine trees) in 37 degree temperatures in the RAIN?

That’s my current situation. It is in no way getting soaked due to the overhanging pines but do I need to worry about rain water and hanging skinned deer?

What’s everyone’s feelings on hanging skinned deer (in a mesh game bag and under pine trees) in 37 degree temperatures in the RAIN?

That’s my current situation. It is in no way getting soaked due to the overhanging pines but do I need to worry about rain water and hanging skinned deer?

It will be fine.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That's what I do. Filet it off whole and lay it out and you can clearly see the muscle groups. I do a lot of the separating with my fingers

Yes! This is the way to do it pull the muscles apart and just cut connective tissue with knife.. jf you are cutting meat you are not doing it right

That's a two hour and 4 beer job for me....

My process is very similar, the only difference for me is a stop at the muscle groups in the hinds. Freeze them whole and then decide what I’m gunna do as they defrost

• Like 1