2020. A great year?

Don_C

With all of the chaos and craziness of 2020, we have been hearing a lot of negative crap about everything. Well, I for one, am really thankful for quite a few things this year and dare to say my life is better in many ways because if all of this nonsense.

For one, I learned I can work from home and be even more productive, more creative, work more hours and have nearly all of the stress of my job removed. Even better is that my company recognizes this as a trend in all departments, globally, and is now embracing the new work model for long term implementation. I will be leaving NYS if this happens!

Fiscal responsibility. I took a significant pay cut in March when the shutdown started, I learned I can not only live on less, but save more on less! That being said, I am really looking forward to my salary going back to normal January 1st.

Family. Working from home allowed my wife and me to become care providers for our granddaughter while our daughter in law started a new business. I have been so lucky to have the opportunity to spend two days a week with her and watch her grow, learn to walk, learn to speak, and so much more that I would have never experienced. Zoom meeting with her on my lap have become the norm and even my coworkers in Liechtenstein, Germany and Switzerland look forward to her weekly input. Even if it’s a drink or toy being thrown at the screen when she hears her name with a German accent, or another child or dog chiming in unexpectedly. Great times and memories that would never have happened in a normal year.

Motorcycles. Oooh yeah, Fatboy_D may be back! I spent many hours and hundreds of miles on one of my friends 2020 CVO Street Glides this summer (he bought 2 when he heard HD was stopping production in the spring, one for each of his kids and a CVO ultra classic for himself, don’t ask, he is in a different world than ALL of us...) and am now looking at getting back into riding. Wife is excited about it so it’s probably a done deal.

Hunting. Working from home and a flexible schedule allowed me to spend as much time as I wanted in the woods this year. ‘Nuff said about that....

These and so much more GOOD came out of this year.

How about you? What good did you discover during this crazy time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Well considering, the wife and I have lowered our debt load considerably.  We paid off our half of our oldest boys collage loan , a equity and car loan and we’re a few months away from paying off our half of the youngest sons   college loan. Our house has been paid off for some time. So the plan is buying hunting land next year. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 5

2020 can go %#^@$ itself with a @&*!^%% sharp stick in the !&@^%# , !^%# and then take a !^@%$# into a dumpster and light it on !^##*$^@^ fire til it burns #%^@^#% to the ground.  

Whew......... 

that being said I was still working all the time, didnt lose anyone to Covid, had a good outdoor season with some great fishing and hunting times, got a new truck and boat.  Downward side- I  am losing my best hunting spot for next year but it certainly could have been worse, and was for many so i am thankful for how mine went.  

• Like 7

This year has been a good one overall in spite of the pandemic challenges.  Of my family and friends we lost no one and only know a few that got sick.  So hopefully that continues into 2021 and the vaccine takes effect.  As a result of the changes I found a more flexible work schedule that also led to one of my best years production ever.  This allowed me to stress less and hunt a little more than I normally would.  I enjoyed connecting with some nice deer along the way had some great laughs too.  I truly enjoyed interacting and hearing from all of the forum members.   So all told 2020 will go down as a good one just wishing the same for 2021 but with normal life again.  Hope the same for everyone else as well 

• Like 2

I agree it’s been a great year for me personally for the following reasons:

1. Thankfully, we haven’t lost any friends or family to covid.

2. My daughter was born Jan 21. I had 4 weeks paternity leave, then worked a few weeks and have been working from home since mid-March. Instead of leaving the house at 7am and getting home at 7pm, I’ve been able to spend way way more time with my wife and daughter this year. Word is I’ll never have to go back 5x per week, so this truly is life changing. Forget the $ saved, but the extra time is amazing.

3. All the extra free time not commuting, allows me to spend more time doing fun stuff like Turkey hunting and deer hunting before/after work, planted a garden for the first time, etc.

4. Chiefs won the super bowl!

5. The stock market has been amazing this year. What a year for investing.

6. I lost 20-25lbs in the spring and feel better than ever.

7. I contracted covid in WNY while hunting and survived. Someday I can tell my grandkids I had covid.

8. Forum-wise we had multiple WNY/SENY GTG’s in January and the summer, and several SENY GTG’s as well.

9. Hunting-wise, while I didn’t shoot a buck this year I saw my first 10pt in NY ever. And also got two 10pt’s on camera, my first two ever (1 being the one I saw)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Year mostly sucked big green donkey d#### 

Being retired our travel was shut  right down , no going to Cards games in Pitt or flying to St. Louis for a series . Didn’t book Fla for the winter as we didn’t know far enough out what would be going on . No 4 or 5 Xmas parties no nothing .

Youngest in Buff is working from “ home “ a CPA for one of the big four( since moved on )  . Her home is a small one bedroom apt. She can’t open her refrigerator door all the way because a desk is now in the kitchen. No getting dressed up and going to clients in other cities and states , no interaction with people really . Social life cancelled too , she’d call home crying .

Oldsest did by a house , that was good , postponed her wedding due to uncertainty of this BS that was not .

Gym , my one daily escape and big social experience, was closed for five months ,so that took its toll . I gained weight ,lost strength and missed a lot of interaction with others .

So, ya this year blows .

15 hours ago, Nomad said:
Year mostly sucked big green donkey d#### 
Being retired our travel was shut  right down , no going to Cards games in Pitt or flying to St. Louis for a series . Didn’t book Fla for the winter as we didn’t know far enough out what would be going on . No 4 or 5 Xmas parties no nothing .
Youngest in Buff is working from “ home “ a CPA for one of the big four( since moved on )  . Her home is a small one bedroom apt. She can’t open her refrigerator door all the way because a desk is now in the kitchen. No getting dressed up and going to clients in other cities and states , no interaction with people really . Social life cancelled too , she’d call home crying .

Oldsest did by a house , that was good , postponed her wedding due to uncertainty of this BS that was not .
Gym , my one daily escape and big social experience, was closed for five months ,so that took its toll . I gained weight ,lost strength and missed a lot of interaction with others .
So, ya this year blows .

Yes, sound like most the country and world right now, we all have a laundry list of things like this. The intent of the thread was to try to end the year on the up, and point out some good things and not be so focused on the obvious negatives of 2020. Hopefully you will have a better 2021! Be positive!

Edited by Don_C

Every year has its high and low points.

Too many to list on either side with 2020. I think that has been the theme - alot going on in the world and our own individual spheres. I'm just appreciative to be able to experience them and I hope I made other people's lives better somehow, someway.

On one high note, I did fill up alot of wall space in 2020 and so did my hunting partner. Two claps and a Ric Flair Wooooooooo on that one.

Edited by phade

I cant complain much. While we did have some plans canceled we made other plans that turned out to be a lot of fun. I got to spend a lot more time with my family, a lot more time at home working on projects and a lot more time in the woods. I took my second ever wall hanger on thanksgiving with my daughter which is another memory that will never fade. 

I have to say I'm blessed with the job I have. I typically travel 35-40 times a year and haven't left the house since February. But business is booming, I just chase trucks and maintain relationships from the home office. That let me spend a ton of time on home projects and a lot of fishing and hunting too. My girls are juniors in HS which in my opinion is the optimal year for this. It didn't ruin their freshman or senior years (yet). I'll be really upset if we can't visit colleges this spring and summer, I've been looking forward to that since they started school. I can't imagine how difficult this home schooling is with little kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are days you just wish never started. The woods was our escape this year......my boys were hooked on squirrel hunting.....they find....I shoot. I think that may have saved our family who is used to being on the go..... participating in different activities or just visiting friends...and all that was reduced to zippo this year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

On 12/21/2020 at 11:44 PM, Don_C said:

These and so much more GOOD came out of this year.

How about you? What good did you discover during this crazy time

While there has probably been some good in most lives it certainly does not outweigh all the bad this year has delivered and continues to deliver. We can each count our blessings and be thankful for the good experiences but overall this year sucks and the foreseeable future doesn't look much  brighter.

So, I try to be a positive and motivated person for the most part. This week, durning a virtual meeting with colleagues from across Europe, the US and SEA, someone asked this very question. It sparked a great and lengthy end of year virtual meeting.

We were all inconvenienced greatly this year, some suffered losses but all found good things in our lives over the last 10 months. We all complained about the usual things, social life, concerts, dinners at nice places and so on and laughed at some of the regional rules, but all were accompanied by things like “I got to really know and loved helping my neighbors, I learned to play the guitar or I am now an amateur chef”. It was a really nice way to end our “work year” and final meeting. I simply thought I would post it here to perhaps bring a little positivity to the group.

Well, now I’m sorry I did, I just read that a very respected and loved member of this group is going through something very bad and very real right now. It is heartbreaking. I also talked to two members personally in the last couple of months who have lost family members this year. I think out of respect of these friends we lock this up and let it fade away. I did not realize the possible insensitivity of it when originally posted.

My best wishes and prayers are with all of you who have suffered this year.

Lock it up.

• Thanks 1

The only positive about 2020 was a productive deer season-a total of 6 deer harvested between NY and PA, including a decent 8 point buck. The rest of the year was terrible, from some untimely deaths of people I know, some health problems, and trying to work as a school administrator with 1/2 the kids in remote learning and shutdowns due to quarantines. I am more excited to see 2021 than any New Year ever, 

• Like 1

No need to feel bad Don C, we have all lived good times and bad. We could at any moment be on either side of the fence. Like you we were fortunate to have done well this yr, no shame. My wife’s income was effected for most of the yr but we were ok. I had my best year of production at work where most of it is normally client facing plus I didn’t travel very much. Normally I put a lot of miles on the truck with travel to each of my offices but so far I’ve only had the oil changed once. My only complaint is I’m fatter than I was in February:-( I’m very fortunate and thankful for it every day! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Don_C said:

So, I try to be a positive and motivated person for the most part. This week, durning a virtual meeting with colleagues from across Europe, the US and SEA, someone asked this very question. It sparked a great and lengthy end of year virtual meeting.

We were all inconvenienced greatly this year, some suffered losses but all found good things in our lives over the last 10 months. We all complained about the usual things, social life, concerts, dinners at nice places and so on and laughed at some of the regional rules, but all were accompanied by things like “I got to really know and loved helping my neighbors, I learned to play the guitar or I am now an amateur chef”. It was a really nice way to end our “work year” and final meeting. I simply thought I would post it here to perhaps bring a little positivity to the group.

Well, now I’m sorry I did, I just read that a very respected and loved member of this group is going through something very bad and very real right now. It is heartbreaking. I also talked to two members personally in the last couple of months who have lost family members this year. I think out of respect of these friends we lock this up and let it fade away. I did not realize the possible insensitivity of it when originally posted.

Lock it up.

Folks are going to go through ups and downs, corvid year or not.

It doesn't make you, me, or anyone else a bad guy (or gal) for saying you're doing ok, and maybe just a little happy about it.

In March of 2019 as a lay in the operating room being prepped for emergency surgery an intern came in a gave the doctor some lab results. He said if he operated right now I wouldn't make it off the table. I worked hard and sacrificed and got myself out of that situation and a year and a half later doing pretty good. Even quit a job I tolerated for a better one and after 3 months got a damn good years end  bonus today as a thanks from the owners.

I still have compassion for those less fortunate, corvid effected or otherwise. That's what's supposed make us human, but I thinks it's ok to say I had a good year, because I've had some pretty shitty ones too.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Some days, weeks and years have greater trials than others.  But I am grateful to God for every day.  Each is a blessing and miracle.   Enjoy the moments guys.  Tomorrow is promised to no one.   

If I'm ever in a similar situation, I hope I could have fraction of your strength and beliefs.   You are an inspiration........

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some days, weeks and years have greater trials than others.  But I am grateful to God for every day.  Each is a blessing and miracle.   Enjoy the moments guys.  Tomorrow is promised to no one.   

Man, you are a truly amazing person and I hope you know that you and yours are in all of our thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Don_C said:

Yes, sound like most the country and world right now, we all have a laundry list of things like this. The intent of the thread was to try to end the year on the up, and point out some good things and not be so focused on the obvious negatives of 2020. Hopefully you will have a better 2021! Be positive!

Here is a positive post..Best hunting season ever,in my 8 years of hunting,haha. I am a late bloomer. As far as covid,my wife and i both managed to avoid it,she is a nurse and i am a self employed mason. Neiter of our jobs shut down,i am a sole proprietor. My wife is a hermit to begin with,so covid gave her an excuse to be more so. That's ok,we got a lot of stuff done around the house instead of going places.

We dont have kids,so schools closing meant nothing to us.

Seed shortages and chick shortages were interesting. We were big into homestaeding 10 years ago,now we are doing less of that but still more than most i think.

My dad and brother are dealing with covid now in Germany but are doing ok with it. My dad is 86. I still dont want to try it. My wife got the first round of vaccination last weekend.

Thanks for the kind words guys, but we all face our own challenges.   It’s our beliefs that carry us through.  If there is one thing I have learned through the 2020 difficulties, it’s to truly recognize the daily blessings that we often take for granted.   2020 brought many many of those.   Tonight was another good one as Ana was transferred from ICU to the regular floor (great sign) and had more energy when we spoke.   Reasons to be thankful!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Don_C said:

Lock it up.

Don't lock this up, as it's comforting for me (at least) knowing that there's some happiness coming out of this.

While this year has pretty much sucked for me and my family, I have a smile on my face and a tear in my eye reading of the joy your experiencing with your granddaughter.

Learning that Moogs wife is doing better, only solidifies my belief that there's a couple of new angels from my family up there listening to our prayers and forwarding them to the big guy.

Keep the Faith.

SJC

• Like 2

Total crap year. Terrible drought which affected my crops not to mention all the other obvious BS. I did shoot an 8 point and two does, wife shot her first deer (button buck) so good on the hunting aspect. Covid had affected so many businesses around here that are now dead, family losing jobs etc. SAD.