Vaccination

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I will not tell anyone what they should do.   I will simply mention that my wife is in ICU right now battling COVID.  She had an already reduced immune system from a very difficult war with cancer she has been raging.  We did everything possible to avoid COVID, including my son stopping work for weeks to avoid contact with others and me working from home for months.  Most likely he contracted it from a grocery store (only place he visited)while shopping for us.   It then spread though the house as one is most contagious for the 3-4 days before they have symptoms. In other words, we could not have known until it was too late.

From what I have read, no vaccinations have ever had negative long term effects.   And by being vaccinated, I may just save the life of someone like my wife that I may into contact with at a time when I might have been contagious and not even known it without the vaccine.   Maybe not as they still don't know if it stops one from being contagious, but I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for spreading it to a third party unknowingly even with the best of intentions.  I will do what I can to avoid that.  For someone whose job it is do deal with very sick people each day like some first responders, I would think that would be a serious consideration.  And notably, the argument that the immuno-suppressed population can be vaccinated to avoid COVID isn't always true.  I seriously doubt my wife could have been vaccinated due to the chemo she was undergoing - meaning she would have to rely on the care others took to avoid being contagious.  I wasn't going to post but I think its worthy food for thought.

prayers sent, Brian!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Did he say why?  Moderna vaccines are easier to store and distribute, so we'll be dealing more of them in the future over Pfizer. 

My only issue with Moderna is that this is literally their first product (not just a new model year, to use Nomads analogy).  But I'm certainly hoping its a successful product.  

And since you're into this stuff Biz... I bought Moderna at $22 and now its up to $129.  

He feels more confident in the moderna one with less chance of serious/dangerous side effects. Either way, he's waiting for now. In his estimation, it seems like 30% of hospital workers are getting the vaccine and 70% are not.

That's awesome on the investment! Because of work, and a connection to Moderna since March i couldn't invest.

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

He feels more confident in the moderna one with less chance of serious/dangerous side effects. Either way, he's waiting for now. In his estimation, it seems like 30% of hospital workers are getting the vaccine and 70% are not.

That's awesome on the investment! Because of work, and a connection to Moderna since March i couldn't invest.

I understand peoples fear/concern of long term side effects.  But personally, I know Iv done far riskier things in my life, with much less to gain. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I will not tell anyone what they should do.   I will simply mention that my wife is in ICU right now battling COVID.  She had an already reduced immune system from a very difficult war with cancer she has been raging.  We did everything possible to avoid COVID, including my son stopping work for weeks to avoid contact with others and me working from home for months.  Most likely he contracted it from a grocery store (only place he visited)while shopping for us.   It then spread though the house as one is most contagious for the 3-4 days before they have symptoms. In other words, we could not have known until it was too late.

From what I have read, no vaccinations have ever had negative long term effects.   And by being vaccinated, I may just save the life of someone like my wife that I may into contact with at a time when I might have been contagious and not even known it without the vaccine.   Maybe not as they still don't know if it stops one from being contagious, but I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for spreading it to a third party unknowingly even with the best of intentions.  I will do what I can to avoid that.  For someone whose job it is do deal with very sick people each day like some first responders, I would think that would be a serious consideration.  And notably, the argument that the immuno-suppressed population can be vaccinated to avoid COVID isn't always true.  I seriously doubt my wife could have been vaccinated due to the chemo she was undergoing - meaning she would have to rely on the care others took to avoid being contagious.  I wasn't going to post but I think its worthy food for thought.

All the best to you and your wife and thanks for sharing your/her story.  Individual life circumstances certainly factor into the decision of vaccinating or not.   In your wife's case, the concern isn't that the vaccine will do harm, it is that her immune system is compromised/suppressed and might not be able to build the necessary antibodies to achieve immunity.  

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

My heartfelt prayers go out to Ana, you and the kids. I pray that she can come through this my friend.

Thank you for posting. If your post saves one person from having to go through what your family is going through, it will be worth it.

Not everyone who contacts Covid can just ride it out. Some with immune deficiencies will have a much tougher fight. I know it won't be good if I get it. But above that, I would be shattered if I unknowingly gave it to a loved one or friend. I will take the vaccine not for myself. But for others.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'd be curious to know the data behind his "feeling more confident".  Both vaccines used the same basic science, they have not been tested head-to-head, and the Pfizer/BionTech clinical program was magnitudes larger than Moderna; which infers less is known about the Moderna vaccine.

4 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

All the best to you and your wife and thanks for sharing your/her story.  Individual life circumstances certainly factor into the decision of vaccinating or not.   In your wife's case, the concern isn't that the vaccine will do harm, it is that her immune system is compromised/suppressed and might not be able to build the necessary antibodies to achieve immunity.  

True - but I was also pointing out that others could unknowingly harm others by refusing the vaccine if they spread COVID due to not being vaccinated.   It can be a chain effect.   Not trying to be a downer or mandate anything but something that should be considered.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thoughts and Prayers out to your wife and family.  You all have had a very tough year and i sure hope to hear by the end of it everyone is home together and on the mend.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

I'd be curious to know the data behind his "feeling more confident".  Both vaccines used the same basic science, they have not been tested head-to-head, and the Pfizer/BionTech clinical program was magnitudes larger than Moderna; which infers less is known about the Moderna vaccine.

not everyone has the same data. I don't work in medical field but i was aware of moderna's attempt at a vaccine since early March.

Brian I am sorry to hear this! Prayers being sent for your wife and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Don_C said:

Do you think they feel those people are more important? I wonder if they are looked at as an expendable “test” group by our government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife was wondering about that.  Doctors and first responders are the first to receive it.  If it kills them off, well, there goes everyone we need to survive this apocalypse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Best wishes to you and your wife and family.  I wish her a full recovery.  Will keep her in my thoughts.

• Thanks 1

Though it was only one person, a friend of mine (somehow she kept it hush as she was asked to) was one of the volunteer test subjects for Pfizer.  She has had the vaccine since late June.  I was wondering why she was constantly getting herself tested for the virus periodically.  So far she doesn't speak with a slur and haven't grown a 3rd eye yet.

And I'm just getting back from taking my 7 year old daughter for a covid test , assuming she got it from my wife before she was locked down .  You see a 102.7 temp on a child its nothing to mess  with .

Prayers to you and family moog.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sbuff said:

And I'm just getting back from taking my 7 year old daughter for a covid test , assuming she got it from my wife before she was locked down .  You see a 102.7 temp on a child its nothing to mess  with .

The few times my son has had a fever always scares the crap out of me ,keeps you on high alert for sure . 

41 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Though it was only one person, a friend of mine (somehow she kept it hush as she was asked to) was one of the volunteer test subjects for Pfizer.  She has had the vaccine since late June.  I was wondering why she was constantly getting herself tested for the virus periodically.  So far she doesn't speak with a slur and haven't grown a 3rd eye yet.

So they had a vaccine as early as june , this thing blew out of proportion in say February , I guess that blows the theory of adequate testing out of the water.     

30 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Hang in there.   My kids both got over it quick.  And it’s been just mild for me too. Hope it all resolves without any complications.  You will be in our prayers.  

Prayers sent Moog. Praying for a complete and speedy recovery for your wife and household. I have 2 friends who recently started chemo and another who's been on for a while. Your post made me realize the additional risks they face on top of what they are dealing with already.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

True - but I was also pointing out that others could unknowingly harm others by refusing the vaccine if they spread COVID due to not being vaccinated.   It can be a chain effect.   Not trying to be a downer or mandate anything but something that should be considered.

Completely agree with you and why I thanked you for sharing your/her story.  There is a component of epidemiology and public health to consider beyond just the "me".

• Like 2