Vaccination

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm not trying to be a tough guy , i'm just not willing to be spoon fed by the government . 

Just remember it's not the govt that developed the vaccine.  It was businesses.   As most of the best things in the world were developed.  The govt is just administering and approving it.  Some of the research for this was done right close by in Syracuse by some of your neighbors.  And the govt actually did a pretty impressive job of streamlining it and getting out of the way for a change. 

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Just remember it's not the govt that developed the vaccine.  It was businesses.   As most of the best things in the world were developed.  The govt is just administering and approving it.  Some of the research for this was done right close by in Syracuse by some of your neighbors.  And the govt actually did a pretty impressive job of streamlining it and getting out of the way for a change. 

i'm sorry but the medical companies and the government have some seriously sinister partnerships . Big business and government have one thing in common ,they're only worried about themselves.  

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

i'm sorry but the medical companies and the government have some seriously sinister partnerships . Big business and government have one thing in common ,they're only worried about themselves.  

"Seriously sinister partnership"?  Medical companies are regulated by the government. This is not a partnership; it is a healthy adversarial relationship that benefits patients/citizens.  I cannot argue against your second comment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Of course, no disagreement there. But in a free market when a need arises someone goes to work to fill it. And by doing that they make money. It's the basis of market economy.  Someone can make money and come up with a vaccine. Thus the reason China steals so much of our Intel, then they make it cheaper. But they aren't much on the inventing part because their people and business don't have free reign to come up with ideas on their own. 

Certainly agree but coming up with a vaccine that doesn't work or has side effects isn't in their best long term interest if they can prevent it. 

17 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Spot On.  Ever wonder why we have a shortage of ammo yet the companies are running along. Think the Govt wants to keep ammo out of the citizen’s hands for a reason. ??

8 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Spot On.  Ever wonder why we have a shortage of ammo yet the companies are running along. Think the Govt wants to keep ammo out of the citizen’s hands for a reason. ??

It's a.self fulfilling prophecy. There is ammo shortage cause people are buying it as fast as it hits the shelves. The companies are "going along" cause sales are booming and they can't produce it fast enough.  There are no restrictions on ammo sales by the govt. The reason we  can't get ammo is the same reason there was a toilet paper shortage. Everyone is filling their carts with it . Must be the govt is also worried about being TP'd. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

If governments have a shit , theyd be working on a malaria vaccine.

But that mostly kills poor people in places that dont have anything but cheap labor.

The streamlining of  this vaccine is about $$$$$.

If there was money in it business would be working harder on this.  Cause you are right money is what pushes all.  Demand is what pushes production but only if money backs it.  

A good place for all the money in the "covid relief " bill that went to other countries could have at least went to that instead if it didn't stay in the US.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

I will take that over watching the TV every minute of kids not going to school, 280,000 + people dead, stories of overflowing hospitals, watching first responders crying cause they feel helpless, people being intebated, quarantines, unable to have family get togethers, celebrate holidays, seeing people's faces covered with masks....

But you can do all those things. Florida is and doing fine. Los Angeles had the strictest mask rules and restaurants closed all summer and they in the worst shape. The lockdowns and masks haven’t helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

But you can do all those things. Florida is and doing fine. Los Angeles had the strictest mask rules and restaurants closed all summer and they in the worst shape. The lockdowns and masks haven’t helped

Right but that has nothing to do with the vaccine. If the masks haven't helped...then there is a bigger need for a vaccine so we can see it slow more. Masks aren't causing the problem obviously, so I don't see your point. So we need to obviously find a way to stop it other than masks.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/12/31/florida-breaks-record-with-more-than-17000-coronavirus-cases-reported-in-one-day/.  Not so sure about "fine". 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

In what world is Florida doing fine?
It’s a matter of buy-in and compliance. You can ‘impose’ the most severe restrictions but if folks don’t take the recommended precautions you won’t see adequate mitigation. 

18 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

don't worry everybody once sleepy joe gets in there everything will be fine  lol 

I'm not a fan of the emperor, but how is it wrong to restrict these initial doses of the vaccine to those who may benefit the most? Or our most vulnerable population? If you lower the number from 75 to 65, which is what you appear to be advocating, then demand exceeds supply, which you acknowledge. ??? 

Here, we have been prioritizing getting our front line health care workers who serve the most vulnerable populations vaccinated first, since that's where the vaccine is likely to do the most good, most quickly. I know that there has been lots of discretion given at the local level; I'm not as sure that this discretion has led to entirely wise choices. But nitpicking at this point is counterproductive. Nobody is going to be entirely satisfied at the rollout. Keep those doses coming!!

• Like 2

Right but that has nothing to do with the vaccine. If the masks haven't helped...then there is a bigger need for a vaccine so we can see it slow more. Masks aren't causing the problem obviously, so I don't see your point. So we need to obviously find a way to stop it other than masks. https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/12/31/florida-breaks-record-with-more-than-17000-coronavirus-cases-reported-in-one-day/.  Not so sure about "fine". 

I hear ya and hope you’re right for the vaccine. But with testing being so inaccurate I don’t see how a vaccine can be so highly successful. Say the vaccine is like an amazing flu shot and 60% success rate and then only 60% of the people get it. That’s 36% of the population you’re down to.

And my point is as they are enjoying themselves out and about without the distraction of a mask. Case numbers mean nothing. If 30M americans had it, that means at least 60m likely had it. There’s no reason to get tested unless you need that documentation for work and all the asymptomatic people didn’t even know

50 minutes ago, knehrke said:

I'm not a fan of the emperor, but how is it wrong to restrict these initial doses of the vaccine to those who may benefit the most? Or our most vulnerable population? If you lower the number from 75 to 65, which is what you appear to be advocating, then demand exceeds supply, which you acknowledge. ??? 

Here, we have been prioritizing getting our front line health care workers who serve the most vulnerable populations vaccinated first, since that's where the vaccine is likely to do the most good, most quickly. I know that there has been lots of discretion given at the local level; I'm not as sure that this discretion has led to entirely wise choices. But nitpicking at this point is counterproductive. Nobody is going to be entirely satisfied at the rollout. Keep those doses coming!!

Yes thats why the king is giving it to drug addicts before veterans that actually fought for our freedoms. 

27 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

My neighbor  got  the shot 1week ago . Started feeling sick on Friday last week and got the test  . It came back  positive for covid 4 days ago

Not sure what the implication is but this vaccine cannot give you Covid. 1 shot may not be sufficient to confer immunity, thus 2 shots are specified. 

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I hear ya and hope you’re right for the vaccine. But with testing being so inaccurate I don’t see how a vaccine can be so highly successful. Say the vaccine is like an amazing flu shot and 60% success rate and then only 60% of the people get it. That’s 36% of the population you’re down to.

And my point is as they are enjoying themselves out and about without the distraction of a mask. Case numbers mean nothing. If 30M americans had it, that means at least 60m likely had it. There’s no reason to get tested unless you need that documentation for work and all the asymptomatic people didn’t even know

The point of testing is precisely this: inform the asymptotic of infection and have them isolate. If compliant, this reduces the number of subsequent infections. Testing is not so inaccurate, as you put it. False negative rates do increase 5 days after onset of symptoms and immediately post-infection. This may not be terrible since transmission rates at these time points is not high. The solution here is to test more frequently, the opposite of what you recommend.

44 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Not sure what the implication is but this vaccine cannot give you Covid. 1 shot may not be sufficient to confer immunity, thus 2 shots are specified. 

The first shot doesn’t really start helping until after 14days.   Bad timing.   

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Props to you for thinking about the situation all on your own ,you can tell the ones who just do what they're told. 

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I actually don't think the mask wear rate is much different from Florida to NY. Just because it's not mandatory doesnt mean people aren't wearing them.  And vice versa.  People in Florida are still wearing masks they just weren't mandated to. And up here even though there is a mandate not everyone wears them. I go into 4 business at least once a week where none of them wear masks. It's not like all the people in Florida don't wear a mask. It's pretty close to the same amount of +90% in each state.  Image what the numbers might be without masks however effective they are. 

And yes if the shot is 60% effective it is still a success.  People should stop thinking this is the flu.  It isnt. 

44 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Props to you for thinking about the situation all on your own ,you can tell the ones who just do what they're told. 

When your in Kansas and the tornado siren comes on most people head to the basement. Damn sheep.  

Dunno why people think following a recommendation based on studies and analysis is doing what your told and not making an informed decision.  

Maybe the tornado won't hit your house. I hope it doesn't. 

The point of testing is precisely this: inform the asymptotic of infection and have them isolate. If compliant, this reduces the number of subsequent infections. Testing is not so inaccurate, as you put it. False negative rates do increase 5 days after onset of symptoms and immediately post-infection. This may not be terrible since transmission rates at these time points is not high. The solution here is to test more frequently, the opposite of what you recommend.

I just meant Unless you get tested every single day and then live in isolation, you can be positive at any time. I tested negative on a Monday, but positive on a Friday. Unless I got tested Tuesday - Thursday every single day, when did I become positive? And did it matter? No. Except for getting paid under COVID laws. Right now my mother in law has covid. She was here on Xmas. The rest of my side of the family has not gotten tested. None of them have symptoms so why would they go to a doctor’s office everyday for a test? Seems silly. It’s day 7 or 8 by now.