Vaccination

I actually don't think the mask wear rate is much different from Florida to NY. Just because it's not mandatory doesnt mean people aren't wearing them.  And vice versa.  People in Florida are still wearing masks they just weren't mandated to. And up here even though there is a mandate not everyone wears them. I go into 4 business at least once a week where none of them wear masks. It's not like all the people in Florida don't wear a mask. It's pretty close to the same amount of +90% in each state.  Image what the numbers might be without masks however effective they are. 
And yes if the shot is 60% effective it is still a success.  People should stop thinking this is the flu.  It isnt. 

If you had Instagram I would send you hundreds of real videos (not media) of people I personally know in Florida at bars and restaurants. There’s no masks and no social distancing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If you had Instagram I would send you hundreds of real videos (not media) of people I personally know in Florida at bars and restaurants. There’s no masks and no social distancing

Yes, and at a high cost...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article248196605.html

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I can send as many back in NY. Only difference is people are having private parties. Youve said so yourself.  

So my question to you would be why do you think NY has a higher rate?

And I still don't see the resistance to a vaccine correlation because Florida has less cases and less masking. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

30 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I just meant Unless you get tested every single day and then live in isolation, you can be positive at any time. I tested negative on a Monday, but positive on a Friday. Unless I got tested Tuesday - Thursday every single day, when did I become positive? And did it matter? No. Except for getting paid under COVID laws. Right now my mother in law has covid. She was here on Xmas. The rest of my side of the family has not gotten tested. None of them have symptoms so why would they go to a doctor’s office everyday for a test? Seems silly. It’s day 7 or 8 by now.

This perfect or nothing approach isn’t sensible or useful. If you get tested regularly and you isolate if positive, the outcome would be better for everyone. The utility of testing is to catch and inform you while you’re in an asymptomatic and contagious phase. Sure, daily would be great but weekly is pretty damn good too. 

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Cases? 17K cases means nothing. It’s likely 2 times that.

The trajectory of infection rates is incredibly useful and can help us gauge  future hospitalizations and deaths. Yes, there is a large pool of undocumented cases as well, but the trend of documented positives is a very effective way to sample the population risk status. 

I can send as many back in NY. Only difference is people are having private parties. Youve said so yourself.  
So my question to you would be why do you think NY has a higher rate?
And I still don't see the resistance to a vaccine correlation because Florida has less cases and less masking. 

Due to limitations of capacity rates for restaurants and wedding venues, etc. people have to resort to private parties in tighter quarters. That’s certainly a factor in NYC and Los Angeles. In September, we had my daughters baptism dinner at a restaurant for 12 people. But if I lived in LA or NYc that wouldn’t be allowed so it would have been in my house which is worse.

Things are not fine in Florida.  I lost my younger brother recently, he didn't believe Covid was serious.  I doubt he took any precautions.  The rest of my family down there is isolating as much as they can now.  There are people who do not, can not, or will not believe in science.  (A survey of US citizens a couple decades ago said 1/3 of the population believed the Earth was 6000 years old.)  That is just the way it it is apparently.  As far as the vaccine is concerned everyone must evaluate apparent benefit vs apparent risk.  I just wish more folks would consider that the benefit is not just to the individual receiving the vaccine, it also is to public health in general.  I doubt that the government would mandate that all individuals must be vaccinated.  But some employers, schools and colleges likely will. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Things are not fine in Florida.  I lost my younger brother recently, he didn't believe Covid was serious.  I doubt he took any precautions.  The rest of my family down there is isolating as much as they can now.  There are people who do not, can not, or will not believe in science.  (A survey of US citizens a couple decades ago said 1/3 of the population believed the Earth was 6000 years old.)  That is just the way it it is apparently.  As far as the vaccine is concerned everyone must evaluate apparent benefit vs apparent risk.  I just wish more folks would consider that the benefit is not just to the individual receiving the vaccine, it also is to public health in general.  I doubt that the government would mandate that all individuals must be vaccinated.  But some employers, schools and colleges likely will. 

I’m sorry for your loss.

I assume with a vaccine that whoever is isolating now would continue to do so since nothing is 100%

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Due to limitations of capacity rates for restaurants and wedding venues, etc. people have to resort to private parties in tighter quarters. That’s certainly a factor in NYC and Los Angeles. In September, we had my daughters baptism dinner at a restaurant for 12 people. But if I lived in LA or NYc that wouldn’t be allowed so it would have been in my house which is worse.

Or you could be more responsible and not host a dinner... sacrifices now to keep grandma safe. But what choice would you have? 

You know it takes some serious arrogance to boast about ignoring public health recommendations in light of the misery and deep sorrow you’re witnessing on this very forum. 

Or you could be more responsible and not host a dinner... sacrifices now to keep grandma safe. But what choice would you have? 

You know it takes some serious arrogance to boast about ignoring public health recommendations in light of the misery and deep sorrow you’re witnessing on this very forum. 

We don’t ignore any rules/recommendations. TG and Xmas were both under 10 people. If our elder relatives want to take the risk and come over, that’s their choice/right. My daughter’s baptism was September, so 12 people was easily allowed at any restaurant locally. When I had covid I didn’t go in my house for 2 weeks. Now we won’t see my Mother in law for 2 weeks, etc.

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

...and in science this would be called anecdotal evidence.  It is of zero/no value in comparing NY to FL regarding mask wearing and social distancing.

Edited by DoubleDose
typo

If you go to a WalMart in Florida and compare the masking rate with the rate at a WalMart in NY there would be very little difference. At least, that has been my experience. I went to one gun store in Fl where everyone was required to wear masks and to another one where I was the only one with a mask. I also went to a gun show before Thanksgiving along with several THOUSAND people. Zero social distancing- in fact a couple of people walked into me while I was waiting in line for my background check. I attended a funeral in June in NY and was invited to a picnic afterward that far exceeded the "50" person limit. Like the NH license plates used to say: "Live free or die".

On 1/1/2021 at 6:17 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Right we could lock people inside like China did.  Why do you think the US has struggled worse with this?  I think a vaccine might help us the most. Being a free country is great and choice is great. I just hope enough people choose to take it so that the reason it goes down is from the vaccine and not the people with weaker imune systems paying the price. 

because people are  not as heathy here that's why  ,and they don't report the real numbers  in other country's. 

Edited by phantom

8 hours ago, jperch said:

Very sorry for your loss Jperch.  

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I doubt that the government would mandate that all individuals must be vaccinated.  But some employers, schools and colleges likely will. 

Really?  NYS mandates that all school aged children must be vaccinated against measles or they can not attend school (public or private) or day care. Zero religious exemptions and medical exemptions are tough to get. Parents that don't want their children vaccinated can home school their kids or move out of NYS. Bills requiring Covid-19 vaccinations have already been introduced in the legislature.

Actually, the quote should be attributed to Jperch, not Biz. My apologies.

• Like 1

Shot doesn't kick in right away and even when it does kick in, it doesn't reach it's full reported 94% effectiveness until after the 2nd booster shot.

A lot of hospital staff declined the vaccine but a few of them decided to take after a week of watching their collogues take it and show no major side effects.  The problem is that hospitals are hesitant at the moment to give the shot to someone else when one person turns it down because for it to stick, you need both rounds of shots.  They're afraid that if person A turns down the shot, they give it to person B who wasn't scheduled for it, then person A comes back and say they want it now, then in 3 weeks they don't have enough round 2 shots for person A or B.  They would then need to start all over again.

It is common to have a sore arm and slight fever as a side effect.  This vaccine doesn't inject a virus into you.  It injects blueprints of how to recognize and attack the virus for your immune system.  The fever you get is a result of your body ramping up it's defenses.

The vaccine controls symptoms.  It may or may not prevent transmission but it does controls the spread.

Example.  Person A was not vaccinated.  Person A gets virus but is asymptomatic.  Virus stay in their system for 3 weeks as they walk around during those 3 weeks.

Person B was vaccinated.  Person B gets the virus but is asymptomatic.  Person B recognizes the virus right away and know exactly what to do because it received the mRNA from the vaccine.  Immune system goes to work right away and attacks the virus.  Virus only stays Person B for 2 days.  Person B spreads the virus but only was spreading it for 2 days instead of 3 weeks.

Edited by Elmo

Back in April, I didn't know anyone who had the virus. Now, I know lots of folks, and everybody seems to know someone. One of the guys I know got it at deer camp and is currently in the ICU, thankfully doing better since being in an induced coma for quite a while. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

We are at capacity, and the front line workers are reaching their limits. How can you ask someone who's trying to save lives 14 hours a day to find time to administer a vaccine? The worst hit areas are having the hardest time getting shots in folks' arms. Kudos to science and big pharma for their collaboration and unprecedented success in developing a vaccine. Kudos to the government for cutting through the red tape, while ensuring safety standards are met. Shame on the lack of a national rollout plan. They've only had months to develop it...

• Like 1