Vaccination

I am gonna pass on the vaccine.  I will not be getting the vaccine because, to be honest I am not scared of getting the virus. 

The fear the virus has caused on our society so far concerns me more. We as Americans have allowed the government to take away our individualism, livelihood,  families, faith, and independence. I feel complying allows the government to continue to take from us, and future generations. At what point do we say enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So, here's a good thought exercise. 

If people were getting the sniffles and nobody was dying, would you support the government's ability to issue executive mandates?

If people were turning into zombies and eating each other, would that change your mind?

Somewhere in between those alternatives lies our current reality. If you answered yes to the second question, then, as the punchline to a famous joke goes, "What are you? I thought we'd established that, now we're just negotiating price."

There's a line in the sand where folks decide that the situation mandates decisions being made for the public good by a central authority. Where that line occurs is really subjective, just like the viewpoints on how bad this surge will get. Ask a nurse in LA county and they'll likely have a different opinion that a rancher in Montana. But if that line exists for you, then it's really just a matter of negotiating what's enough. 

So, while I respect other's right to state their opinions, in our society majority rules (okay, theoretically and arguably lol). And siding with the authorities doesn't make people "sheep", as I've heard on here more than once. It just means they have a different viewpoint as to where their own line exists. 

It's not a failure to see what's in front of our faces. It's not fear. We're not lemmings. I myself analyze the numbers on a daily basis, and my decisions are driven by data.  If they differ from yours, that sounds like the start of a good conversation.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Can we just do what china did ? They didn't need a vaccine. 

We already do a lot of what China does right on this thread.  Deny it exists, deny science, deny it is pandemic, regurgitate fake news and propaganda....and as long as you live and believe in that bubble/world you don't need a vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

We already do a lot of what China does right on this thread.  Deny it exists, deny science, deny it is pandemic, regurgitate fake news and propaganda....and as long as you live and believe in that bubble/world you don't need a vaccine.

I don't think China ever denied its existence.  Hell, they pretty much put everyone in Wuhan under house arrest to stop the spread and it sure looked like it worked for them.  Wearing masks to stop the spread of colds and flu in countries like China, Japan, Korea has been the norm long before COVID.  We on the other hand are definitely deniers and all we care about is ourselves and could care less if we might spread it to someone it might kill.  We even had a president who fanned the flames of ignorance.  We consider something as simple as wearing a mask in public as an infringement of our freedom, so what more can we expect than to have this pandemic rage on for close to a year now while China where it originated seems to have things under control.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I don't think China ever denied its existence.  Hell, they pretty much put everyone in Wuhan under house arrest to stop the spread and it sure looked like it worked for them.  Wearing masks to stop the spread of colds and flu in countries like China, Japan, Korea has been the norm long before COVID.  We on the other hand are definitely deniers and all we care about is ourselves and could care less if we might spread it to someone it might kill.  We even had a president who fanned the flames of ignorance.  We consider something as simple as wearing a mask in public as an infringement of our freedom, so what more can we expect than to have this pandemic rage on for close to a year now while China where it originated seems to have things under control.

You're first and last sentence I do not agree with and the words " We on the other hand are definitely deniers".  The rest is all valid.    First, initially China did deny its existence.  They were "hiding" it from WHO and other countries and denying the international reports of it.   Only after it was irrefutable they acknowledge it.  Remember too, they arrested the doctor who brought it to the government's attention!  Second, China "seems to have things under control."  That is precisely what the great PROC wants the world to think and believe.  They are a communist propaganda machine of their superiority that can not be believed or trusted.  Lastly, we are a mix of believers and deniers.  China probably too.  The difference is we have individual liberty and they do not, so they will appear to be in patriotic lock step while following their government recommendations and mandates.  

4 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

You're first and last sentence I do not agree with and the words " We on the other hand are definitely deniers".  The rest is all valid.    First, initially China did deny its existence.  They were "hiding" it from WHO and other countries and denying the international reports of it.   Only after it was irrefutable they acknowledge it.  Remember too, they arrested the doctor who brought it to the government's attention!  Second, China "seems to have things under control."  That is precisely what the great PROC wants the world to think and believe.  They are a communist propaganda machine of their superiority that can not be believed or trusted.  Lastly, we are a mix of believers and deniers.  China probably too.  The difference is we have individual liberty and they do not, so they will appear to be in patriotic lock step while following their government recommendations and mandates.  

I surely do not trust everything China says about the COVID situation in their country at the moment, but please post some sort of evidence from any reputable source that their situation is anywhere close to what ours is right now?  I have no doubt that it's nowhere close.  We are doing worse than freaking India for crying out loud.  For a country like ours that is supposed to be an "advanced" nation our numbers are pathetic any way you want to look at them.  

13 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I surely do not trust everything China says about the COVID situation in their country at the moment, but please post some sort of evidence from any reputable source that their situation is anywhere close to what ours is right now?  I have no doubt that it's nowhere close.  We are doing worse than freaking India for crying out loud.  For a country like ours that is supposed to be an "advanced" nation our numbers are pathetic any way you want to look at them.  

Comparing USA to China or India is actually not a valid comparison.  China does not have a free press while we do.  Our press/media will publish anything no matter how damaging it is to our country.  In fact our press/media overly reports gloom and doom over positive stories.  China press will not; and in fact will do the opposite.  History has shown that.  During the HIV/AIDS pandemic in the 1980s China declared that they had no cases and that this was a Western disease.   I have nothing to post one way or the other because there is no good data that can be trusted at this time.  India does not have a developed healthcare system like the USA.  We will have many many more documented COVID cases and deaths because we are testing for it and recording it.  India does not have the infrastructure or resources to do the same.  The more fair comparisons, and these too have limitations and pitfalls, is with European countries that have similar free press and similar developed healthcare infrastructure and resources.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 9:27 AM, Versatile_Hunter said:

Not sure what the implication is but this vaccine cannot give you Covid. 1 shot may not be sufficient to confer immunity, thus 2 shots are specified. 

I didnt think he got it from shot but he didn't get it in time to not catch it

I’ve tested positive for the Rona twice a couple months apart, it was no big deal at all. I’ve had hangovers that were much worse. My job makes it nearly impossible to avoid exposure.

There’s a zero percent chance I’ll get the shot, if my employer makes it mandatory I’ll probably be moving out of NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve tested positive for the Rona twice a couple months apart, it was no big deal at all. I’ve had hangovers that were much worse. My job makes it nearly impossible to avoid exposure.

There’s a zero percent chance I’ll get the shot, if my employer makes it mandatory I’ll probably be moving out of NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that’s all it would take... Why are you still here?!?

5 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

Deny ? the media is rigged against the right and also lies about the science if the science goes against  the lefts  political  positions .  lots of deny to go around .

• Like 1

I will get it when I can for the same reason I wear a seat belt and a helmet and those who don't should do it for the same reason. Because I feel it is the right choice for me. Not because of Andrew Cuomo's opinion, Donald Trump's opinion, my bosses opinion or random internet-people's opinions. If your choice is different than mine then good for you. If you feel that makes me a sheep then good for you too. I won't get all butt-hurt over it because internet people aren't real. :)

If you don't wear your seatbelts and go through the windshield it's no skin off my ass, if you choose not to get any vaccine, whatever your reasons, and get sick, it's no skin off my ass. I might think it was a poor decision but I'm not going to ride you about it because, well, see above.

My wife doesn't want it now because she feels it it too new but is willing in the future if it proves to be safe.  I would take a vaccine for athletes foot if someone came up with one. 

Edited by covert
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, covert said:

I will get it when I can for the same reason I wear a seat belt and a helmet and those who don't should do it for the same reason. Because I feel it is the right choice for me. Not because of Andrew Cuomo's opinion, Donald Trump's opinion, my bosses opinion or random internet-people's opinions. If your choice is different than mine then good for you. If you feel that makes me a sheep then good for you too. I won't get all butt-hurt over it because internet people aren't real. :)

If you don't wear your seatbelts and go through the windshield it's no skin off my ass, if you choose not to get any vaccine, whatever your reasons, and get sick, it's no skin off my ass. I might think it was a poor decision but I'm not going to ride you about it because, well, see above.

My wife doesn't want it now because she feels it it too new but is willing in the future if it proves to be safe.  I would take a vaccine for athletes foot if someone came up with one. 

Unlike with choosing not to wear a seatbelt, where if you do fly through the windshield the harm is done exclusively to yourself (fine, I guess your family and whoever is charged with flushing your flesh and skull fragments from the asphalt may also be affected), the vaccine will help protect your neighbors too.