Vaccination

On 12/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

For me it’s the extremely short time in testing and the fact that the drug companies have been given a pass on responsibility for long term effects. I’ll take my chances with 99.9% survival rate. I’m pretty sure I had It early on, before tests were readily available. Had all of the typical symptoms and it was a month or so until I was Feeling normal again. 

Anyone else chooses to get it, that’s their choice, and not my concern. 

I feel it's a choice as well. The cold hearted bastard in me also feels like you shouldn't get a ventilator if offered the vaccine and refusing it.

i don't really feel that way, but it's an interesting theory

4 hours ago, virgil said:

OK.  Then, you should probably review this one also.

4 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

Thank you for adding to this conversation with your useless spellcheck and grammar     checking. Your trolling does not bother me and just shows how petty you are.

when engaging in a battle of wits and arguing your scientific opinion is better than another's, it's best not to spell and sound like an idiot.

-proud member of the team

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DoubleDose said:

When this virus first emerged in the US, little was known or understood about it. This originated in China at least 1 month earlier and they did not let out any information for anyone to learn from.  It was believed to be spread via surface contact, much like the flu,  hence no mask recommendation at first.  After it was learned that the virus was airborne, a mask recommendation was put in place.  When it was understood/learned this was a pandemic from China and moving through Europe they closed the borders.  The US response correctly and appropriately evolved as we learned more about this virus.

Riots, Trump rallys, churches, protests, media, election, one side over the other, is all irrelevant.

I think you're newer here, so I'd offer some advice and suggest you not engage with Stormy. It's not worth it and will only lead to him sitting outside your house in his car spying on you and your family.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

when engaging in a battle of wits and arguing your scientific opinion is better than another's, it's best not to spell and sound like an idiot.

-proud member of the team

If I was looking for a battle of wits I would not come to a hunting forum. I simply thought people would like to know about the law being voted on about being detained by your state governor if you have or may have a infectious disease. That is why I attached the link, wrote get instead of getting not sure how that makes me sound like a idiot. I was typing a quick explanation of the link to New York website. Did you check out the link and if so what is your opinion on that which seems more important than my poor spelling and grammar.

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH

16 hours ago, Belo said:

I feel it's a choice as well. The cold hearted bastard in me also feels like you shouldn't get a ventilator if offered the vaccine and refusing it.

i don't really feel that way, but it's an interesting theory

You’re free to feel however you like, but to refuse medical care to someone that has legitimate concerns over a vaccine that has undergone no long term testing would be a pretty shitty way to be, don’t you think?

Honestly, that kind of thought process, of taking an extreme stance against anyone that doesn’t think the way you do, or does not share the same opinion as you do, becoming so prevalent in our country in recent years is just plain disgusting. It’s exactly what certain groups want though, to divide us in any way possible. 

I've said my piece on this subject. I dont care who agrees with me and who doesn’t. You do you, I’ll do me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

You’re free to feel however you like, but to refuse medical care to someone that has legitimate concerns over a vaccine that has undergone no long term testing would be a pretty shitty way to be, don’t you think?

Honestly, that kind of thought process, of taking an extreme stance against anyone that doesn’t think the way you do, or does not share the same opinion as you do, becoming so prevalent in our country in recent years is just plain disgusting. It’s exactly what certain groups want though, to divide us in any way possible. 

I've said my piece on this subject. I dont care who agrees with me and who doesn’t. You do you, I’ll do me. 

although we disagree on taking the vaccine - I sure agree with you on this!  Also they are now telling ambulances services to not bring in people to the hospital that are likely to die in California, bacuse they are so swamped.  This is terrible.  Can you imagine being the amblance staff that have to make that decision?   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Belo said:

Actually, NOT putting a Covid-19 patient on a ventilator may save their life. When the patients O2 levels decline to a point where a ventilator is indicated, the levels can often be restored to acceptable levels utilizing a technique called "proning" where the sick person is placed on their stomach. This opens up different breathing areas in the lungs. I am not a medical pro, but I am close to someone who was deployed to the Javits Center last Spring. They successfully used this method several times. Placing Covid patients on ventilators is a death sentence. Much has been learned since the first days of the virus.

3 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Actually, NOT putting a Covid-19 patient on a ventilator may save their life. When the patients O2 levels decline to a point where a ventilator is indicated, the levels can often be restored to acceptable levels utilizing a technique called "proning" where the sick person is placed on their stomach. This opens up different breathing areas in the lungs. I am not a medical pro, but I am close to someone who was deployed to the Javits Center last Spring. They successfully used this method several times. Placing Covid patients on ventilators is a death sentence. Much has been learned since the first days of the virus.

I guess my point was around the fact that in Rochester we're at capacity and at some point there may come a time where a car crash victim doesn't have a bed because someone refused the vaccine. 

53 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

i was agreeing with you though and said as much. I also stated that I don't really feel that way, and I also share the same concerns you have and I'm a high risk individual who hasn't run out and signed up for a shot yet. 

For discussion purposes though, a vaccine is a form of medical treatment and I like I said, I agree with choice but it's also sort of like "oh shit, I didn't listen and now I need your help" that kind of raises an eyebrow too, no?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

i was agreeing with you though and said as much. I also stated that I don't really feel that way, and I also share the same concerns you have and I'm a high risk individual who hasn't run out and signed up for a shot yet. 

For discussion purposes though, a vaccine is a form of medical treatment and I like I said, I agree with choice but it's also sort of like "oh shit, I didn't listen and now I need your help" that kind of raises an eyebrow too, no?

You could apply this same thinking to patients who suffer from health conditions purely resulting from their poor decisions and habits- obesity, smoking, etc. 

14 minutes ago, virgil said:

You could apply this same thinking to patients who suffer from health conditions purely resulting from their poor decisions and habits- obesity, smoking, etc. 

yeah i know that's what my boss said when we were chatting about it. I'm not in favor of it, but it's interesting food for thought. And in some ways, the smokers surcharge for insurance is helping to combat that so we're on our way there in a way. I do feel like this is a little different too. Like here's a shot to prevent you from possibly dying. Versus battling a lifelong addiction that may have started at 15.

I'm in my 60's, slightly overweight (sounds better than plain overweight), and I smoked cigs until I was 50. I'm in good health at this point and I am trying to keep it that way. As soon as the vaccine is available for my age group, I'll be there with my sleeve rolled up.

I got every required vaccine in my childhood, and I've been getting the flu shot every year since I was in my 40's. Besides being so new, this is no different to me. I do not want that damn Covid in my system if I can do anything about it.

Hopefully it's a cute girl that jabs me. I'm going to look her in the eye and say "send it".

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I'm in my 60's, slightly overweight (sounds better than plain overweight), and I smoked cigs until I was 50. I'm in good health at this point and I am trying to keep it that way. As soon as the vaccine is available for my age group, I'll be there with my sleeve rolled up.

I got every required vaccine in my childhood, and I've been getting the flu shot every year since I was in my 40's. Besides being so new, this is no different to me. I do not want that damn Covid in my system if I can do anything about it.

Hopefully it's a cute girl that jabs me. I'm going to look her in the eye and say "send it".

X2 ( did you read Medical History file ?)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah i know that's what my boss said when we were chatting about it. I'm not in favor of it, but it's interesting food for thought. And in some ways, the smokers surcharge for insurance is helping to combat that so we're on our way there in a way. I do feel like this is a little different too. Like here's a shot to prevent you from possibly dying. Versus battling a lifelong addiction that may have started at 15.

Let's tax the shit out of booze while we're at it. I'm completely in favor of taxing the shit out of it ,its destroyed countless lives and families. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

Let's tax the shit out of booze while we're at it. I'm completely in favor of taxing the shit out of it ,its destroyed countless lives and families. 

You've got a good point, but with this dysfunctional government, they'd tax American drinkers more and give all the money to other countries.

• Like 5

People should  know if they need the vaccine  or take the other recommended  precautions  masks keep distance wash hands don't touch face. now if you are a smoker a drinker fat and not heathy and hang out in bars  and get it there because you are doing none of the above and show up at a hospital with covid  they probably should put you in a tent outside  then use a hospital bed  for your  reckless behavior  .  I will wait until more data comes out before  I take it .  I don't drink smoke or hang out in bars  and always use a good masks  and do those other things  so a can afford to wait  awhile to take it .   I will say from what I   read  so far looks good .    Got this off CDC gov website  , hopefully they got it right this time , time will tell .

Can a COVID-19 vaccine make me sick with COVID-19?

No. None of the authorized and recommended COVID-19 vaccines or COVID-19 vaccines currently in development in the United States contain the live virus that causes COVID-19. This means that a COVID-19 vaccine cannot make you sick with COVID-19.

There are several different types of vaccines in development. All of them teach our immune systems how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. Sometimes this process can cause symptoms, such as fever. These symptoms are normal and are a sign that the body is building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. Learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work.

It typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity (protection against the virus that causes COVID-19) after vaccination. That means it’s possible a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and still get sick. This is because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection.

After getting a COVID-19 vaccine, will I test positive for COVID-19 on a viral test?

No. Neither the recently authorized and recommended vaccines nor the other COVID-19 vaccines currently in clinical trials in the United States can cause you to test positive on viral tests, which are used to see if you have a current infection.

If your body develops an immune response—the goal of vaccination—there is a possibility you may test positive on some antibody tests. Antibody tests indicate you had a previous infection and that you may have some level of protection against the virus. Experts are currently looking at how COVID-19 vaccination may affect antibody testing results.

If I have already had COVID-19 and recovered, do I still need to get vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine?

Yes. Due to the severe health risks associated with COVID-19 and the fact that re-infection with COVID-19 is possible, vaccine should be offered to you regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 infection. CDC is providing recommendations to federal, state, and local governments about who should be vaccinated first.

At this time, experts do not know how long someone is protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. The immunity someone gains from having an infection, called natural immunity, varies from person to person. Some early evidence suggests natural immunity may not last very long.

We won’t know how long immunity produced by vaccination lasts until we have more data on how well the vaccines work.

Both natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity are important aspects of COVID-19 that experts are trying to learn more about, and CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

Will a COVID-19 vaccination protect me from getting sick with COVID-19?

Yes. COVID-19 vaccination works by teaching your immune system how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19, and this protects you from getting sick with COVID-19.

Being protected from getting sick is important because even though many people with COVID-19 have only a mild illness, others may get a severe illness, have long-term health effects, or even die. There is no way to know how COVID-19 will affect you, even if you don’t have an increased risk of developing severe complications. Learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work.

Will a COVID-19 vaccine alter my DNA?

No. COVID-19 mRNA vaccines do not change or interact with your DNA in any way.

Messenger RNA vaccines—also called mRNA vaccines—are the first COVID-19 vaccines authorized for use in the United States. mRNA vaccines teach our cells how to make a protein that triggers an immune response. The mRNA from a COVID-19 vaccine never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept. This means the mRNA cannot affect or interact with our DNA in any way. Instead, COVID-19 mRNA vaccines work with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease. Learn more about how COVID-19 mRNA vaccines work

At the end of the process, our bodies have learned how to protect against future infection. That immune response and making antibodies is what protects us from getting infected if the real virus enters our bodies.

Edited by phantom

48 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

On January 1st I put all my whiskey in the basement cabinet so I'm not too worried about this one.  Seems I indulged a bit more than usual the last 6 months of 2020 and just had to tell myself that I didn't have an issue with it.   On February 1 I'll pull it out and get blasted.........

Sorry for the sidetrack to this epic thread.  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

On January 1st I put all my whiskey in the basement cabinet so I'm not too worried about this one.  Seems I indulged a bit more than usual the last 6 months of 2020 and just had to tell myself that I didn't have an issue with it.   On February 1 I'll pull it out and get blasted.........

Nothing wrong with a pull now and then. It's all about moderation my friend.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

people would start making their  own to avoid the tax like they did in the 1920s .

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

people would start making their  own to avoid the tax like they did in the 1920s .

Then we can blow billions on the war on booze , the media will have all their sheep convinced it's the right thing to do.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

A "dry January" ? you sound like a vegan hipster

53 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

On January 1st I put all my whiskey in the basement cabinet so I'm not too worried about this one.  Seems I indulged a bit more than usual the last 6 months of 2020 and just had to tell myself that I didn't have an issue with it.  

I’m with you. I drank enough last year for two, so decided to clean up a bit. Hit with cravings for the first few days, but through that now and smooth sailing. 

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

42 minutes ago, grampy said:

Nothing wrong with a pull now and then. It's all about moderation my friend.

I'm not a heavy drinker, but for sure have drank more volume and more frequently during this shit. Winter is tough as is to stay entertained, and with this lockdown shit it's hard not to pour a glass of wine or 2 at the end of the day.

Edited by Belo