Vaccination

They wouldn't let me in with my wife for her sonogram Thursday, i went to the first 2 before the restrictions were "lifted" now i can't go in with her . This whole thing is a giant sham to control the people .  

d33f22002dad736822e9d1a953e69951.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sleepy Joe wants to vaccinate the 9/11 mastermind and other terrorists before Americans? Wtf. Not a good look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Get used to it , we have 4 long years of stupidity .

• Like 2

Interesting how Australia has had zero local cases for almost two weeks, and the Open is filling stadiums, maskless. The Australian government imposed strict guidelines, draconian by some measures. There was a huge outcry - after all, it's basically a county of cowboys and criminals (lol, my wife is Australian) - but guess what? It worked. 

And somehow folks didn't end up under tyranny's thumb, but instead are free to pursue a more normal life.

Now, I'm not saying what worked for Australia would work here. Maybe our leaders are plotting truly evil things to control us forever. And Australia is after all a scantly populated island. But they haven't even started vaccinating yet! IMHO, there's something to learn from their example. Not sure what, but there must be a lesson there, right? 

In the meantime, the effort to debunk vaccine myths continues here. Of the hundreds I know who've had the shot, my sense is that the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine is most prone to complications, with around 20% or so experiencing either muscle soreness, joint stiffness, or mild flu-like symptoms that persist for a day or two. But I've had similar myself from the flu vaccine in past years. The biggest complaint I've heard is that the available appointments are filling up too fast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, knehrke said:

Interesting how Australia has had zero local cases for almost two weeks, and the Open is filling stadiums, maskless. The Australian government imposed strict guidelines, draconian by some measures. There was a huge outcry - after all, it's basically a county of cowboys and criminals (lol, my wife is Australian) - but guess what? It worked. 

And somehow folks didn't end up under tyranny's thumb, but instead are free to pursue a more normal life.

Now, I'm not saying what worked for Australia would work here. Maybe our leaders are plotting truly evil things to control us forever. And Australia is after all a scantly populated island. But they haven't even started vaccinating yet! IMHO, there's something to learn from their example. Not sure what, but there must be a lesson there, right? 

In the meantime, the effort to debunk vaccine myths continues here. Of the hundreds I know who've had the shot, my sense is that the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine is most prone to complications, with around 20% or so experiencing either muscle soreness, joint stiffness, or mild flu-like symptoms that persist for a day or two. But I've had similar myself from the flu vaccine in past years. The biggest complaint I've heard is that the available appointments are filling up too fast.

To be fair, it would be interesting to know how Australia compares to other similar countries regarding COVID case #s and COVID deaths, per capita.  That is the comparison to determine what mitigation measures worked or didn't work.  Just because they opened up doesn't mean or prove they are a success story.

"Of the hundreds I know...second dose of Pfizer vaccine is most prone to complications...20% or so experiencing..." is anecdotal evidence that causes further disinformation.  Without a properly powered comparative controlled trial (Pfizer vs Moderna vs J&J, etc) it is not possible to determine which vaccine is most prone to have a reaction and what % of people experience a reaction.

Edited by DoubleDose

Australia
Cases 28,811
Recovered 25,486
Deaths 909

My family spent the past four months in Australia on a project. They flew in, were immediately taken to a hotel room and locked in for two weeks. Once they go through that, they lived in a normal world of work, restaurants, sports, movies and get togethers.

That sounds like success to me.
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, left field said:
Australia
Cases 28,811
Recovered 25,486
Deaths 909

My family spent the past four months in Australia on a project. They flew in, were immediately taken to a hotel room and locked in for two weeks. Once they go through that, they lived in a normal world of work, restaurants, sports, movies and get togethers.

That sounds like success to me.

Sounds like the right idea ,we had a guy around here who wanted to control the the traffic into the country but he was basically burned at the stake for the last year about his strategy for fighting covid .

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, knehrke said:

I agree that your statement about Australia having no " locally acquired "  shows they have done very well . But they have had  117 new cases in the last 2 weeks .  I dont know what they mean as local though. Since they have a full travel ban in place , where did the 117 cases come from ? 

The article I liked the most was the second article where Australia defied the WHO advice about its wrong to impose travel bans from other countries . This was the same policy that President Trump put in place and was crucified by the Democrats calling him every name in the book .

Its hard to compare the widespread land mass of Australia and the fact of it being an island to the USA . Its much easier to control movement restrictions for a country with a population of 25 million than a diverse country of 330 million like the USA .  The country you dont hear much about is Taiwan . They did the best job of all . They were ready from the beginning. Why ? Because they are used to the crap that comes across the border from China like the H1N1 virus .  Taiwan was the one that warned the WHO back late Nov or early Dec of 2019 about this unknown virus  . The WHO ignored them.  Taiwan has been testing every traveler coming into the country for years .

https://www.google.com/search?ei=C68WYLmnH4GL5wKr8rbYCQ&q=covid-19+australia&oq=covid+active+cases+in+australia&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgFMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHUABYAGCjiAJoAHACeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=psy-ab

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/australia-covid-19-ignored-who-coronavirus-advice-border-closures-beat-coronavirus/

Edited by SportsmanNH

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sleepy Joe wants to vaccinate the 9/11 mastermind and other terrorists before Americans? Wtf. Not a good look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is SPIN.  They are vaccinating the soldiers at Gitmo and that is the right thing to do.  The military medical policy at Gitmo is that if the soldiers need to be vaccinated than so do the prisoners.  This was explained on FOX News by the military medical officer who wrote the policy.  Sleepy Joe has nothing to do with this.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Sounds like the right idea ,we had a guy around here who wanted to control the the traffic into the country but he was basically burned at the steak for the last year about his strategy for fighting covid .

Maybe he was burned at the stake for liking burned steak. With ketchup.

Travel restrictions aren't a bad idea. However, it's all in the execution. As I recall, Trump announced the EU ban on a Wed night to go into effect on Friday and with no clear "this not that", it threw tens of thousands into a full on panic jamming people into airports that weekend. Hard to say how many got sick from that.

Australia's model won't work here. Too big, too diverse, too many people, too many "screw masks" advocates. So we're left with inadequate knee-jerk reactions to what's popping up today. The whack-a-mole approach to pandemic control with some successes, some failures, and many more deaths to come.

It is what it is.

Sounds like the right idea ,we had a guy around here who wanted to control the the traffic into the country but he was basically burned at the stake for the last year about his strategy for fighting covid .

Except his plan didn’t really keep anyone out it was a crap plan. It just kept out foreign nationals which was why it was called xenophobic. It should have required Isolation for all common in.

His plan was a joke just like the rest of his response

I agree that your statement about Australia having no " locally acquired "  shows they have done very well . But they have had  117 new cases in the last 2 weeks .  I dont know what they mean as local though. Since they have a full travel ban in place , where did the 117 cases come from ? 
The article I liked the most was the second article where Australia defied the WHO advice about its wrong to impose travel bans from other countries . This was the same policy that President Trump put in place and was crucified by the Democrats calling him every name in the book .
Its hard to compare the widespread land mass of Australia and the fact of it being an island to the USA . Its much easier to control movement restrictions for a country with a population of 25 million than a diverse country of 330 million like the USA .  The country you dont hear much about is Taiwan . They did the best job of all . They were ready from the beginning. Why ? Because they are used to the crap that comes across the border from China like the H1N1 virus .  Taiwan was the one that warned the WHO back late Nov or early Dec of 2019 about this unknown virus  . The WHO ignored them.  Taiwan has been testing every traveler coming into the country for years .
https://www.google.com/search?ei=C68WYLmnH4GL5wKr8rbYCQ&q=covid-19+australia&oq=covid+active+cases+in+australia&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgFMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHUABYAGCjiAJoAHACeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=psy-ab
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/australia-covid-19-ignored-who-coronavirus-advice-border-closures-beat-coronavirus/

Trump didn’t ban travel he banned foreign nationals who had been to certain areas... and it case you’re wondering it’s pretty obvious his plan failed

Didn't Trump open unrestricted entry from Europe and Brazil just before he left office?  What kind of sense did that make?  New variants of the virus were cropping up and he is allowing everyone in?   It makes me sick how one side blames the other when neither knows what the hell they are doing.

3 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

To be fair, it would be interesting to know how Australia compares to other similar countries regarding COVID case #s and COVID deaths, per capita.  That is the comparison to determine what mitigation measures worked or didn't work.  Just because they opened up doesn't mean or prove they are a success story.

"Of the hundreds I know...second dose of Pfizer vaccine is most prone to complications...20% or so experiencing..." is anecdotal evidence that causes further disinformation.  Without a properly powered comparative controlled trial (Pfizer vs Moderna vs J&J, etc) it is not possible to determine which vaccine is most prone to have a reaction and what % of people experience a reaction.

I agree that there are many caveats to the Australia story, but I count a return to normalcy a success. Sometimes, results matter. As for anecdotal evidence, so long as it's clearly defined as such, there's no issue IMHO. And transparency is important, particularly in the midst of such widespread concern, even if it only shows a trend rather than statistically significant results.

Journals are full of case studies on emerging diseases where large scale studies haven't occurred yet. And since I didn't reach a conclusion, but simply presented my observations, and rough observations at that, I'll stick. Until large scale studies are complete, a relatively broad swath of anecdotal evidence is what we have to work with. No disinformation there, just the best currently available from somebody who has experience with lots and lots of folks who have gotten their second shot and a "close personal relationship" with NIH. Disclaimer: as more folks get their shots, these numbers are likely to evolve (short for: I could be wrong and frequently am lol).

And Steve, I agree with you. Neither side has a crystal ball, but both sides jump down the other's throat when they make a misstep. Just looking for an excuse to cast shade on their political opponents. It would be a better world if we owned our mistakes and showed some compassion for the other guys' mistakes.

Edited by knehrke

1 hour ago, SportsmanNH said:

The country you dont hear much about is Taiwan . They did the best job of all . They were ready from the beginning. Why ? Because they are used to the crap that comes across the border from China like the H1N1 virus .  Taiwan was the one that warned the WHO back late Nov or early Dec of 2019 about this unknown virus  . The WHO ignored them.  Taiwan has been testing every traveler coming into the country for years .

That's because Taiwan and most of the oriental nations don't have a problem being told to wear a mask.  They've worn masks for years.  If a person has a cold or flu they wear masks not to expose others.  You tell Americans to wear a mask and many start having a shit fit that their constitutional rights are being violated and all that nonsense.  Where is the attitude for what might be best for the good of the country?  I often think that if we had the same selfish mentality shown by many on both the right and the left the world would have been taken over by the Axis powers in WWII.  No such selfishness was shown by Americans living in that era.  They did what was best for our country and the world.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Except his plan didn’t really keep anyone out it was a crap plan. It just kept out foreign nationals which was why it was called xenophobic. It should have required Isolation for all common in.

His plan was a joke just like the rest of his response

Care to explain why it was a joke ? I didn't think so. 

• Like 1

Care to explain why it was a joke ? I didn't think so. 

All it did was exclude foreign nationals who had been to certain areas. It did not provide any testing or quarantine procedures for those who were allowed in. So in essence it did nothing. Did you not see the pictures of the extremely crowded customs areas.

He failed