Vaccination

On 3/5/2021 at 7:20 AM, knehrke said:

You are comparing apples and oranges with your graphic on masks. It's like comparing the buck take during bow versus during gun and saying that the weapon is the reason, without considering maybe there's just more people in the woods. The second surge has historically been worse than the first in pandemics. There are some statistics that suggest masks aren't as great as folks claim, but that's not one of them.

Onto the topic of this thread: vaccines. Over a month ago, someone reported that several close friends ended up in the ICU from the vaccine. I tried to follow up on that, with no success. I also dived into the adverse reactions database to look for actual reported cases of adverse reactions requiring hospitalization, but consistent with my observations, there doesn't seem to be a significant impact beyond a day or mild myalgia or cold symptoms or a headache. 

Does anyone have personal knowledge of a bona fide vaccine reaction with a severe adverse outcome? Please, no internet rumors or woman who had to have her appendix removed type stories. I'm honestly intrigued. With all of the vaccine concern, it's been long enough and enough folks through the pipeline that we should be able to put fears of short-term consequences at least to bed.

The key is “short term”. So far all I’ve seen from family and friends is a day or so of slight fever, chills, and soreness.  Now, the unknown long term effects are what truly concern me and my reason for refusing to get the vaccine. NOBODY knows what they are.

3 hours ago, outdoorstom said:

The key is “short term”. So far all I’ve seen from family and friends is a day or so of slight fever, chills, and soreness.  Now, the unknown long term effects are what truly concern me and my reason for refusing to get the vaccine. NOBODY knows what they are.

totally valid concern. Remember that the trial vaccines took place way back in the summer. So yeah, we don't know long term effects for a period over a year. Heck we don't even know if the vaccine will protect against variants. I do find comfort that this type of vaccine is similar to others that have long standing track records even if it's different in what it's protecting against. That, and I don't know of any vaccine that was approved for use that has caused major issues. 

Edited by Belo

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

totally valid concern. Remember that the trial vaccines took place way back in the summer. So yeah, we don't know long term effects for a period over a year. Heck we don't even know if the vaccine will protect against variants. I do find comfort that this type of vaccine is similar to others that have long standing track records even if it's different in what it's protecting against. That, and I don't know of any vaccine that was approved for use that has caused major issues. 

what about the lyme disease vaccine that @crappyice got and was subsequently pulled off the market a year or two later?

There is so much misinformation regarding these vaccines; my two cents. It's a personal choice but that choice may and can affect others depending on if one gets infected and spreads the virus. I'm considered high risk due to several health issues and spoke at length with my primary;

1. the vaccine can not and does not alter one's DEA

2. at this point millions have safely received the vaccine as millions have safely recovered from the virus itself. Some I personally know have had mild symptoms (sniffles) and others have been seriously ill and hospitalized. Younger and better healthy fair better as with most illnesses....

3. I had the first Pfizer and only had a small red and warm reaction at the actual injection site; no different than any other injection.

4. I expected a more "robust" response from the second and not a true "reaction:, I had a mild headache shortly after injection and about 24 hours later had a short period (3-4 hours) of chills and a mild fever, all were fully expected by my doctor and were very tolerable. It was simply my body doing it's job and mounting a response as the vaccine was designed. I actually felt mentally less stressed about the virus know my body did what it was supposed to.   Hope this helps !!!   

• Like 1

what about the lyme disease vaccine that [mention=327] Mr. X got and was subsequently pulled off the market a year or two later?

This is a HIPPA violation! Please remove the individuals name and other PII

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

what about the lyme disease vaccine that @crappyice got and was subsequently pulled off the market a year or two later?

I got the same vaccine.  But I only received one of the shots before it was pulled a week later.  It was supposedly pulled for lack of interest, but it had horrible arthritic side effects. Clients son was a big wig in Lyme Disease prevention. He was the one who told me why it was pulled. Ironically, his dad died from complications from undiagnosed lyme. 

A friend of mine is a career ICU critical care nurse and administrator/provider now for an infusion center that administers the newest high tech drugs for cancer, Parkinsons, and arthritis patients; she administers these to most critically ill. She has constant contact with the doctors, pharmacists and manufacturers of such drugs. This "science" and style of vaccine has been around for years in the high tech drug world. This is how it was manufactured in months instead of years and can be "tweeked" as variants crop up or if a new pandemic arises in the future. She has isolated herself and worked 12 hour days because she's single and could "self isolate" as to not possibly infect her patients for almost a year now.

She said she would be the first in line when she could take a covid vaccine and had no reservations about the science behind it. She said she had much greater fear of the disease and it's possible ramifications. She treated ICU Covid patients that seemingly were healthy and young that died while hospitalized. One was 50 years old, healthy other than high blood pressure and was exposed at a Christmas party. He denied he was Covid positive until the day he died; he had mild symptoms for a short period then his organs began to literally shut down and his blood oxygen level plummeted and he died. They attempted CPR but he succumbed to Covid, this was like many of the patients she treated. Sad I hear some say, "well more people die of the flu", "its like getting the sniffles" and other nonsense statements.

Bottom line is there are so many false stories about this disease and vaccines....believe my story or not. My friend is one of the toughest and brightest woman I know and respected in the medical community locally, if she was afraid of this disease, and not the vaccine then I heed that warning...      

• Like 1

Candy? I thought it said "doe in heat" urine?!?

Buddy of mine bough like a gallon of that stuff locally, splashed it all over his stand and even himself, I told him that a bunch of guys were dying laughing because they'd stood around drinking beer and peeing in a bucket the night before.

But he hasn't caught COVID, so he has that working for him.

I honestly don't recall much about the Lyme vaccine for people (which was discontinued in 2002), but I know that our vet 15 years ago told us that the efficacy of the existing vaccine for dogs didn't make it worthwhile. Eventually, it was taken off the market. At some point, a new one must have emerged because that is what our current dogs received. It came highly recommended from the same vet who'd poo-poo'd the first one.

Back to people, there's a new Pfizer vaccine candidate for Lyme that's undergoing phase II trials, as well as a monoclonal antibody shot that would be administered yearly if it makes the grade. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone how’s had it here selling their blood / plasma ? I know a bunch of guys from one work place it blew through doing that . $100 a pop, twice a week, so $800 a month . 

Anyone how’s had it here selling their blood / plasma ? I know a bunch of guys from one work place it blew through doing that . $100 a pop, twice a week, so $800 a month . 

How? I’ll sell my blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How? I’ll sell my blood

Google it . They want plasma from recovered covid pts. They use the antibodies for research or something . I’m sure your area has blood banks, research facilities doing it .

Id imagine yours will bring two to three times to going rate !

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/11/852354920/market-for-blood-plasma-from-covid-19-survivors-heats-up

Edited by Nomad

Google it . They want plasma from recovered covid pts. They use the antibodies for research or something . I’m sure your area has blood banks, research facilities doing it .
Id imagine yours will bring two to three times to going rate !
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/11/852354920/market-for-blood-plasma-from-covid-19-survivors-heats-up

That article is May though. I asked around a few doctors and nobody heard of people getting paid?

I received my J&J vaccine this morning at Genesee CommunityCollege. There was good number of people but the line moved quickly, they were well organized for the process.
Did you get a beer?

#ThankYouForLessOverzealousModding #WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That article is May though. I asked around a few doctors and nobody heard of people getting paid?

Well I know several guys here getting paid twice a week $100 a pop , perhaps draw your own and try eBay ?

from one plasma center, 

Donors can earn up to $700. Compensation and promotions for eligible, qualified donors vary by location and weight. Ask the center manager at your preferred donation location for details about your compensation.

Edited by Nomad

I know of one person getting paid. You have to request a antibody test and if it indicates you have the antibodies you will be guided to a "paying" source.

Test results take a week to two weeks. Once confirmed you are placed on a schedule to be drawn.

The one I know of is making $800 a month but I am not sure how long he can be a donor.

The way I understand it, the antibodies show up in your system a week or two AFTER one has had covid. Very few people have shown to have them without being exposed or having covid but they have found some. 

• Like 1