Vaccination

That's like saying people wonder why you don't want to win the lottery - because you're unsure whether you'd get half a million or a full million dollars lol. 
The evidence is clear: even should you contract the disease, your viral load is significantly reduced after vaccination. By how much though? Originally, the thought was that you still might have enough virus in your nasal passages that you could potential transmit it, albeit only through sneezing directly in somebody's face (that's a joke). However, since the vaccine has only been around for a few months, it takes time to accumulate solid data. These emerging data seem to show that it is very, very unlikely there's even enough around to transmit, so sneeze away lol. 
You can call it conflict, but to me it's scientists who aren't afraid to update guidance as clearer information becomes available. Conflict is good. It means the folks are keeping an open mind and debating their interpretations. Either way, vaccination protects you, and it increasingly appears it may also protect those around you.

Here’s the way I look at it.

I’m young and healthy. I have a 99.99998% chance of surviving Corona. It’s actually higher but impossible to know exactly because asymptomatic numbers are still unknown.

The science shows that the vaccinations are 95ish% percent effective at preventing serious symptoms. As a healthy young male my likelihood of having a serious symptom is very low to begin with. The cdc still mandates mask wearing for those that are vaccinated because they don’t know how effective it is against the spread.

Now please excuse my skepticism but it’s hard for me to get vaccinated against a disease that I have to get tested to know I have, with a vaccine that doesn’t prevent me from getting the disease just nearly guarantees that it will limit my symptoms, the ones I most likely won’t have to begin with. The vaccine wouldn’t prevent me from spreading it, I’ve yet to see a percentage on how effective it is against the spread. It’s still unknown how long the vaccine lasts but most everything I’ve found is saying around 3 months. In 3 months you’ll need a booster of some sort.

So without any vaccine and without the excellent effectiveness of it I have a 99.9998% chance of survival. I’ve yet to see a study done on long term side effects but it had better be side effect free for a lot more than that 99.9998% % for me to even consider getting the vaccine.

I have had this exact same discussion with both of my doctors and neither one disagreed with my decision. My one doctor still hasn’t gotten vaccinated for the exact reasons I haven’t. He’s young healthy and not at all worried about the disease effecting him.

If in a year or 2 we find out more and the numbers come out and say that you’re 99% less likely to spread it if vaccinated than I’ll likely get it. Until then I’ll pass. I’m extremely proud of this country and the way we were able to get the vaccine rolled out for those that needed it, it still blows my mind how fast it was done. If you’re older, fat or have other issues that would hurt your chances of survival it should be a no brainer to get the shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

I’m young and healthy. I have a 99.99998% chance of surviving Corona. It’s actually higher but impossible to know exactly because asymptomatic numbers are still unknown.

The science shows that the vaccinations are 95ish% percent effective at preventing serious symptoms. As a healthy young male my likelihood of having a serious symptom is very low to begin with. The cdc still mandates mask wearing for those that are vaccinated because they don’t know how effective it is against the spread.

Now please excuse my skepticism but it’s hard for me to get vaccinated against a disease that I have to get tested to know I have, with a vaccine that doesn’t prevent me from getting the disease just nearly guarantees that it will limit my symptoms, the ones I most likely won’t have to begin with. The vaccine wouldn’t prevent me from spreading it, I’ve yet to see a percentage on how effective it is against the spread. It’s still unknown how long the vaccine lasts but most everything I’ve found is saying around 3 months. In 3 months you’ll need a booster of some sort.

So without any vaccine and without the excellent effectiveness of it I have a 99.9998% chance of survival. I’ve yet to see a study done on long term side effects but it had better be side effect free for a lot more than that 99.9998% % for me to even consider getting the vaccine.

I have had this exact same discussion with both of my doctors and neither one disagreed with my decision. My one doctor still hasn’t gotten vaccinated for the exact reasons I haven’t. He’s young healthy and not at all worried about the disease effecting him.

If in a year or 2 we find out more and the numbers come out and say that you’re 99% less likely to spread it if vaccinated than I’ll likely get it. Until then I’ll pass. I’m extremely proud of this country and the way we were able to get the vaccine rolled out for those that needed it, it still blows my mind how fast it was done. If you’re older, fat or have other issues that would hurt your chances of survival it should be a no brainer to get the shots!

Your information is not accurate any more.... 3 months of efficacy has been pushed to 6. And the only reason they stopped at 6 is that is the Max data they have at this time.

Also recent studies have shown it is highly effective at even a symptomatic infection... if that is the case that means it stops the spread as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Sounds like you wrote that for a 1970’s penthouse magazine.

I'll say that certainly was a racy story coming from Wolc.  I had to double check to make sure it was he who made this post.  Just think.  In that past he's told us that the good Lord guides his bullets to hit deer and here in this story he almost joins the Mile High club.  LOL

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Finalized flights today for a trip and just need to wire some funds for down payment.
And finally get to see how good Emirates is for myself as they get rave reviews from traveling hunters.
On the other end much of the world is struggling for any meaningful vaccine distribution,  and they are already talking multiple years of annual booster shots because this virus is going to be endemic anyway.
Now chef can be on here for years making posts about the vid. vaccine.:rofl:

Every year I stay at the Westin in Boston and bus loads of their flight attendants are constantly coming and going, there's not a 9 in the bunch! Sorry if I'm being sexist but I think they have a standard lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

,i

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

I'll say that certainly was a racy story coming from Wolc.  I had to double check to make sure it was he who made this post.  Just think.  In that past he's told us that the good Lord guides his bullets to hit deer and here in this story he almost joins the Mile High club.  LOL

I tried to be as helpful as I could to the young lady.  She was very friendly, and she was from Boston originally. She had spent most of her life in Alaska, and had only been in southern CA for a short while.  She didn't say what she was doing in MO.   Other than being very warm to the touch, she was extremely healthy looking. 

She had at least 3 big rings on her right hand, and I didn't notice the left.  Her forearms were tattooed in leaf patterns and cursive writing on her upper back.  

I usually sleep on the planes, but I did not catch a wink on that flight.  That whole trip was like "the Odysey", complete with the sirens.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

,i

I tried to be as helpful as I could to the young lady.  She was very friendly, and she was from Boston originally. She had spent most of her life in Alaska, and had only been in southern CA for a short while.  She didn't say what she was doing in MO.   Other than being very warm to the touch, she was extremely healthy looking. 

She had at least 3 big rings on her right hand, and I didn't notice the left.  Her forearms were tattooed in leaf patterns and cursive writing on her upper back.  

I usually sleep on the planes, but I did not catch a wink on that flight.  That whole trip was like "the Odydsey", complete with the syrins.

Yeah, we can tell that your eyeballs were giving her a thorough examination.  Maybe there are other reasons you like eating those deer testicles that you never told us about. Wolc??  LOL

Just now, steve863 said:

Yeah, we can tell that your eyeballs were giving her a thorough examination.  Maybe there are other reasons you like eating those deer testicles that you never told us about. Wolc??  LOL

I had my first sea oysters in a long time on that recent adventure.  The bar-maids, on taco Tuesday and Thursday, were the other "sirens".  I could almost swear they were the same ones I remembered from my last trips out there, more than 10 years ago.  The odd thing was, they looked like they had not aged a day.

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I had my first sea oysters in a long time on that recent adventure.  The bar-maids, on taco Tuesday and Thursday, were the other "sirens".  I could almost swear they were the same ones I remembered from my last trips out there, more than 10 years ago.  The odd thing was, they looked like they had not aged a day.

You need to have your wife check for a pulse, Wolc.  You may have died and gone to heaven on this trip.

Also, be sure that your wife doesn't read these posts you've made here because you surely won't have a pulse once she gets thru with you.  LOL

3 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You need to have your wife check for a pulse, Wolc.  You may have died and gone to heaven on this trip.

Also, be sure that your wife doesn't read these posts you've made here because you surely won't have a pulse once she gets thru with you.  LOL

Oddly enough, she did check my blood pressure this week, and it was in the normal range.   Not sure what she would have measured had she checked it when I got home early that Saturday morning.

Edited by wolc123

I will admit that much of my early sex education came from reading PH Forum. 

And your writing style!!! That hot dog stand in ____(I forget the place but remember the stand) still runs through my mind!!!!

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

And your writing style!!! That hot dog stand in ____(I forget the place but remember the stand) still runs through my mind!!!!

Yeah, normally I write out a PH Forum letter and then substitute the word trout for sexy next-door neighbour

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You've looked at the data, weighed the risks, and made a decision. Can't argue with that - well, you could, but IMHO everyone has to make a choice for themselves. Nobody should be forced to vaccinate. 

Even being in the biomedical research field, it blows my mind, too, how fast this happened. Last summer I was pooh-poohing the chances of having an effective vaccine by 2021. After all, we're still working on HIV and the common cold. I figured that it was even odds that a vaccine was feasible, much less as fast as they made it happen. I applaud the partnerships between the drug manufacturers and academia that accelerated the process of discovery (here and abroad), and I bow to the US government that cut the red tape that usually makes things take five times as long as they should. Truly an achievement.

Given how well this approach has worked, I suspect that you will see many new mRNA vaccines in the near future. The jury is still out on long term efficacy, persistence, and - yes - possible side effects, but the future looks brighter. I mean, it's got to right? After the sh$t twizzler that was 2020?

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 9:32 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Where did you get the 99.9998% from?

As far as efficacy, it's 95% from getting serious symptoms but 100% prevention thus far for hospitalizations and deaths.

You've looked at the data, weighed the risks, and made a decision. Can't argue with that - well, you could, but IMHO everyone has to make a choice for themselves. Nobody should be forced to vaccinate. 
Even being in the biomedical research field, it blows my mind, too, how fast this happened. Last summer I was pooh-poohing the chances of having an effective vaccine by 2021. After all, we're still working on HIV and the common cold. I figured that it was even odds that a vaccine was feasible, much less as fast as they made it happen. I applaud the partnerships between the drug manufacturers and academia that accelerated the process of discovery (here and abroad), and I bow to the US government that cut the red tape that usually makes things take five times as long as they should. Truly an achievement.
Given how well this approach has worked, I suspect that you will see many new mRNA vaccines in the near future. The jury is still out on long term efficacy, persistence, and - yes - possible side effects, but the future looks brighter. I mean, it's got to right? After the sh$t twizzler that was 2020?

I agree, I actually wouldn’t be shocked if most of the older vaccines are reworked under the MRNA model..... I would also guess flu will wind up being MRNA because they can real develop to the current strain

On 4/2/2021 at 4:47 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I had no plans to fly in 2021 anyway with a baby regardless of covid, but my company dropped the international travel ban a couple of months ago. My Boss is in Aruba right now with her kids, and another coworker is in mexico, and one in the Galapagos. My brother has gone to cali and vegas a few times in 2020 and 2021 for pleasure. Everyone I talk to loves it. Same resort amenities and less crowds. if I didn't have a baby i'd be working from home in Scottsdale and/or the Caribbean during the winter months for sure. 

We (meaning leadership) were told explicitly we couldn't work outside the 50 states remotely due to payroll/tax scenarios. One of the things that are not being talked about much, but are starting to be, is payroll tax implications - to the EEs, the company, and the tax jurisdictions. Some jurisdictions are blatantly breaking the law - enforcing taxes when it's not applicable - and companies are paying it and not making noise due to commitments on pre-agreed tax breaks/subsidies. They simply can't function without that income and I guess everyone is realizing it and just sweeping it under the rug. It'll break at some point though.

I was trying like crazy to get my wife to work from STT or STJ but she wouldn't have it lol. One of my friends has been working from FL for 8 months now. Bastard. If this happened when I was single...my butt wouldn't be working remote from wNY. Although, I am largely planning to do so for a week in Missouri early season. Work all day, then hunt the evenings.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, wolc123 said:

I keep getting older, but they stay the same age...queue Matthew!

On 4/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've been summoned to Washington state for facetime at the plant so I'll probably go first week of May. We (sales) were forbidden to come during the pandemic

yeah my lack of travel wasn't by choice either. Nobody could travel for either of the companies i've worked for during this thing unless emergency. I wouldn't have really wanted to travel anyhow. Not because of fear of safety on planes but the hotel and eating situations sucked.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elmo said:

You are 100% correct!! And it's been around even longer than that. COVID is its first widespread use though, and based on what I'm hearing, it won't be the last, particularly - as Chef pointed out - with the ability to tweak specificity from a computer keyboard.

A shocking new poll from the Economist/YouGov shows 51 percent of Americans who do not plan to get vaccinated against COVID-19 are more likely to travel immediately than people who have been or plan to be vaccinated