Vaccination

21 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

5380a1a1415947b343f0fcbed40035a2.jpg

This is spot on with what several doctors told me last year. They were using hydroxychloroquine and Z-pack and sending people home like crazy. Until it got taken away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I were to be reviewing this topic for a grant or manuscript, here's what I would say:

1. This is from an article recently posted on MedRxiv, a preprint server, which has not undergone peer review. In short, anybody can post anything on there. The media feeding frenzy has led them to plunder these types of databases for anything that will support their agenda (right and left both). Take it with a grain of salt.

2. The article specifies a combination of drugs that included HCq. You simply can't extrapolate efficacy of a single drug from this type of combinatorial regiment. Indeed, it is possible that HCq may have some unanticipated benefit in combination with something else or under select conditions. That doesn't make the initial observations that it was ineffective on its own a lie.

3. A PubMed search for "hydroxychloroquine" AND "COVID" pulled 2746 results. I skimmed the abstracts of the first fifty, and without fail each and every one of them concluded that HCq was ineffective to treat COVID-19 (generally alone or in combination with Azithromycin).

4. Our own work, along with many others, has shown a prolonged QTc interval associated with higher doses of HCq. This is what happens in Long QT syndrome, a type of cardiac arrhythmia. I doubt this matters much to folks on mechanical ventilators - any port in a storm, and damn the long term consequences (rightfully so, IMHO).

In short, the evidence in the literature continues to strongly suggest a lack of efficacy as well as the potential for adverse secondary effects, but - and this is not an attack on you, it's more a comment on the system - your point proves that you can find support for anything on the internet if you look hard enough. And that scientists often don't communicate well enough to convey these caveats that make up the devil in the details.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Buddy of mine went to a game in Boston and got asked for proof, even in the executive box.

Baseball? My friend was at the Bruins game last week and the policy was the second time you were caught with your mask down was an automatic ejection. He said he could count on one hand the number of masks in the entire building and from what I saw on TV he may have been overestimating lol

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Has anyone been asked to see proof of vaccine yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No .

the only reason I got the J&J shot was if for some reason I need to hop on a plane ,in some emergency type thing .

Otherwise I’d just leave where they asked , 8 of us left a winery last week when the said we had to mask up to enter . You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a winery in the Finger Lakes ....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

“By Easter we will be maskless” I recall someone saying this but don’t quite remember who?!?

I said we would flatten the curve, which was the original goal and missed by a few days. Then the goals changed for stupid reasons and here we are 14 months behind schedule.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I said we would flatten the curve, which was the original goal and missed by a few days. Then the goals changed for stupid reasons and here we are 14 months behind schedule.

I wasn't your fault biz ,this last year and a half has been the biggest carrot dangle in the history of mankind. 

• Like 2

You said NYC would re-open lol, come on now fess up

And it should have. Now it will never recover. I’m talking about restaurants, etc. Companies are fine because they never closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, left field said:

In my neighbourhood, two restaurants closed and four opened up last year. The city is buzzing with activity. 

Vegan restaurants don't count as "restaurants"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Vegan restaurants don't count as "restaurants"

I wish. One BBQ place, fish restaurant, noodle joint and “chicken in a cup” whatever the hell that is. 

The rumors of NYC’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. 

8 minutes ago, left field said:

I wish. One BBQ place, fish restaurant, noodle joint and “chicken in a cup” whatever the hell that is. 

The rumors of NYC’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. 

wait til the free rent is done 

• Like 3

I wasn't your fault biz ,this last year and a half has been the biggest carrot dangle in the history of mankind. 

Isn’t that the truth! The carrot dangle isn’t what scares me, it’s the ones munching on them that have me worried for our future.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Isn’t that the truth! The carrot dangle isn’t what scares me, it’s the ones munching on them that have me worried for our future.

Same here. I can't believe the number of people who have this blind faith in the government and dont question anything .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

wait til the free rent is done 

That will have an effect, but overall minor when measured against the wave of enthusiasm that is sweeping the city. Midtown aside, I've never seen it busier.

It's funny, last March/April I was predicting doom and gloom (mostly due to a sense of my own mortality and being in the city) and Biz was laughing and calling me a downer as he was predicting we'll be open by Easter. 

Now after an unprecedented vaccine rollout, a better understanding of transmission, and much better protocol for treatment, and I feel optimistic. 

YMMV.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Same here. I can't believe the number of people who have this blind faith in the government and dont question anything .

Thank God that doesn't include scientists. I don't know how many have been keeping an eye on the emerging situation with the new drug that's targeted at Alzheimer's Disease, but as of last night, three of the FDA's scientific advisory panel board members (including from places like Harvard) quit over the drug having been approved, despite their informed guidance to the contrary. It isn't effective, and the data shows it. Somebody has their hand in the honeypot. At  $50K a year cost, and with the drug being targeted at early AD, so the patients would require treatment for the rest of their lives, the company that developed the drug stands to make bank. 

Big difference from the vaccine.

Scientists' jobs are literally to question everything...and some of us are willing to take an ethical stand when the facts don't line up. 

Edited by knehrke
  • Like 3