Vaccination

13 hours ago, left field said:

That will have an effect, but overall minor when measured against the wave of enthusiasm that is sweeping the city. Midtown aside, I've never seen it busier.

It's funny, last March/April I was predicting doom and gloom (mostly due to a sense of my own mortality and being in the city) and Biz was laughing and calling me a downer as he was predicting we'll be open by Easter. 

Now after an unprecedented vaccine rollout, a better understanding of transmission, and much better protocol for treatment, and I feel optimistic. 

YMMV.

I dont expect to see you give any credit to operation warpspeed and the prior administration for that vaccine.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, knehrke said:

Thank God that doesn't include scientists. I don't know how many have been keeping an eye on the emerging situation with the new drug that's targeted at Alzheimer's Disease, but as of last night, three of the FDA's scientific advisory panel board members (including from places like Harvard) quit over the drug having been approved, despite their informed guidance to the contrary. It isn't effective, and the data shows it. Somebody has their hand in the honeypot. At  $50K a year cost, and with the drug being targeted at early AD, so the patients would require treatment for the rest of their lives, the company that developed the drug stands to make bank. 

Big difference from the vaccine.

Scientists' jobs are literally to question everything...and some of us are willing to take an ethical stand when the facts don't line up. 

Interesting , my father is scheduled to talk to his doctor about it as a possible treatment . I have read that it has become a battle between doctor over whether or not it's effective. Thanks for the info.

43 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I dont expect to see you give any credit to operation warpspeed and the prior administration for that vaccine.

Why not? Despite the actual CF that Trump was, there were some good decisions made in both the current and prior administrations to facilitate and deliver the vaccines. I'm a fair guy. 

• Like 3

I was skeptical myself from the get-go as to our ability to generate an effective vaccine at all, much less inside of a year. This on the heels of decades of research working to develop an HIV vaccine, coupled with the inability to cure the common cold lol. Viruses are tough. 

But the collaboration between pharma and academia coupled with the government's willingness to cut the red tape made it possible. I am frankly still amazed, but thankful nevertheless for my initial take to be dead wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Remember the laughter and ridicule in October when he said we were weeks away from a vaccine?

There will be alot of stuff that people conveniently forget . The hospital ship and the javits center for instance . 

• Like 2

There will be alot of stuff that people conveniently forget . The hospital ship and the javits center for instance . 

And Westchester County Center!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On that vaccine ship with covid cases my thoughts are this:

1) breakthrough cases are a small % because people who have been vaccinated and are asymptotic would not be getting tested for COVID. If they did, that number likely spikes

2) they’ll blame non-vaccinated people

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

On that vaccine ship with covid cases my thoughts are this:

1) breakthrough cases are a small % because people who have been vaccinated and are asymptotic would not be getting tested for COVID. If they did, that number likely spikes

2) they’ll blame non-vaccinated people

Under no circumstance will they admit they were wrong about anything in the last year and a half ,too many blind followers depend on the government to be their guiding light .

• Like 4

On 6/10/2021 at 5:25 PM, left field said:

That will have an effect, but overall minor when measured against the wave of enthusiasm that is sweeping the city. Midtown aside, I've never seen it busier.

It's funny, last March/April I was predicting doom and gloom (mostly due to a sense of my own mortality and being in the city) and Biz was laughing and calling me a downer as he was predicting we'll be open by Easter. 

Now after an unprecedented vaccine rollout, a better understanding of transmission, and much better protocol for treatment, and I feel optimistic. 

YMMV.

Until china decides  to make a another virus .

I spent a few minutes reading the Novavax methodology/technology and my head is spinning. I can handle the mRNA from Moderna and Phizer...but this recombinant nanoparticle and adjuvant stuff is bonkers. The adjuvant is like an analogy of crop oil for herbicides, so I get that, but the nanoparticle process confuses me. Crazy tech.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Why ?

it's very similar to the vaccines we are all used to (Shingles, Hepatitis, etc.) by using a protein sub-unit.

Whereas, Moderna and Pfizer are MRNA which has never been approved in history. I just think people will feel more comfortable with Novavax since it's like the vaccines they have gotten their whole lives. But again, a simple cure/remedy drug would make more sense. But remember, "A cured patient is a lost customer"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

it's very similar to the vaccines we are all used to (Shingles, Hepatitis, etc.) by using a protein sub-unit.

Whereas, Moderna and Pfizer are MRNA which has never been approved in history. I just think people will feel more comfortable with Novavax since it's like the vaccines they have gotten their whole lives. But again, a simple cure/remedy drug would make more sense. But remember, "A cured patient is a lost customer"

Yea but I think there are many  that have heard storys of  bad  side effects from traditional vaccines in the past ,  so I'm not sure it will get anymore popular really .

I mean before covid19 there were people that were against vaccines saying they  had bad side effects  its nothing new . 

Edited by phantom

Yea but I think there are many  that have heard storys of  bad  side effects from traditional vaccines in the past ,  so I'm not sure it will get anymore popular really .
I mean before covid19 there were people that were against vaccines saying they  had bad side effects  its nothing new . 

I mean moreso the people who got vaccinated already and need it again soon will turn to this one. I have friends who got their in January and are now switching to the next one in the coming months

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I mean moreso the people who got vaccinated already and need it again soon will turn to this one

The people leery of the vaccine will,  will ask there friend's and  family doctor   which vaccine they got and just stay with that brand unless they get bad side effects  . Only going to  change if this one  proves  to be more effective .

The guy that is  scared of  vaccines is going to want to have somebody he knows tell him that they had no problem with it before they go get a shot probably.

There not going to take the word of media  that it is safe. 

Edited by phantom

The people leery of the vaccine will,  will ask there friend's and  family doctor   which vaccine they got and just stay with that brand unless they get bad side effects  . Only going to  change if this one  proves  to be more effective .
The guy that is  scared of  vaccines is going to want to have somebody he knows tell him that they had no problem with it before they go get a shot probably.
There not going to take the word of media  that it is safe. 

Many people are switching actually for added immunity. Unless you get an antibodies test you have no idea if your vaccine even worked

• Like 1