Vaccination

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Clinical Pharmacist at hospitals in NY, CT, NJ, and CA. And he he's not an anti-vaxxer by any means. Nor am I.

I'm always a bit concerned when I read posts referring to friends/relatives who are in the healthcare world and yet choose not to get the Covid vaccine. While it continues to be a personal choice, I fear that such statements will give readers a sense that the vaccine has considerable risks. This is absolutely not true.  

It's with this in mind that I'll share some of my personal anecdotal examples of healthcare professionals who were eager to take the vaccine.
My better half is also a pharmacist. She vetted the shot appropriately and found no cause for concern.
My sister and her husband are both specialized MDs. Both received the vaccine as soon as it was offered. My sister was pregnant at the time and did the appropriate research to conclude that the benefits far outweigh any miniscule risk. Her baby girl was born healthy and continues to thrive.
I received my PhD in a medical campus. Many of my good friends and dozens of colleagues have PhDs, MDs, or MD/PhD. None had any pause when deciding to take the vaccine. 

I'm not claiming that any in my small subset is smarter than your brother (or than you). But I would argue that as academic physician/scientists, they're exceptionally well-positioned to make an objective assessment on the risks and benefits of the vaccine.

I hope this helps some who continue to feel trepidation about receiving the vaccine. The rest is a subjective decision that we each have to make. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Eventually I’ll have a big decision to make, quit my job and leave NY or get the shot because I work for andy and eventually it will be mandatory.

I do not want the shot, I don’t feel I need the shot. My primary doctor at the VA is retiring early due to his refusal to get the shot and their new mandates. From everything I’ve found so far having already had covid I’m way more protected and less likely to spread it than someone that hasn’t and gotten the Vax.

I’ve done/am still doing the research but I’m also looking looking into other free states for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What tier are you in ,and how long to fully vested ? The best is of course to make it to retirement, move out of state and spend that check in a free state . Oh what about the prisoners, do they have to get the shot ? 

We’re considering packing our RV with a couple months of food, clothes , a few guns and ammo boxes and leaving if they go back to masks and shut downs here . We have so many we can visit in the free states , then come back to hunt,and the Holidays , we already have FLA booked for most of the winter . It’ll also give us a look at where we may buy something .

Good Luck .

20 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

The end of the day I just don't feel like getting it. Not based on any conspiracy theories. I just don't feel like it. I get my flu shot yearly but that's more for my dad's sake and they have it at my office so it's a matter of 2 mins out of my day. Why people care so much the reasons someone does or doesn't want to get one of these vaccines is beyond me.

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

Because the border must open so that I can go moose hunting! Also this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/us/covid-vaccine-hesitancy-regret.html 

Why are they so concerned about the vaccine.if you want it get it if you dont.iif the vaccine is so good you have nothing to worry about.i know alot of people that got it and had a headache and loss of taste for 2days thats it.i also had a feiend die of it.i had it in january it was rough but i made it and should have natural immunity.i was exposed to it in june and was sick 3 days.so im not getting the vaccine.how is that anyones buissness.

• Like 1

What tier are you in ,and how long to fully vested ? The best is of course to make it to retirement, move out of state and spend that check in a free state . Oh what about the prisoners, do they have to get the shot ? 
We’re considering packing our RV with a couple months of food, clothes , a few guns and ammo boxes and leaving if they go back to masks and shut downs here . We have so many we can visit in the free states , then come back to hunt,and the Holidays , we already have FLA booked for most of the winter . It’ll also give us a look at where we may buy something .
Good Luck .

I’m not vested yet. I don’t know if I can make it another 16 years. That’s been my plan all along was to make my 22yrs and flee to a free state but It gets harder to stay every day!

Problem is I enjoy my job and love my schedule and I make good money but I don’t like being forced to do things I’m not comfortable with!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I'm always a bit concerned when I read posts referring to friends/relatives who are in the healthcare world and yet choose not to get the Covid vaccine. While it continues to be a personal choice, I fear that such statements will give readers a sense that the vaccine has considerable risks. This is absolutely not true.  

It's with this in mind that I'll share some of my personal anecdotal examples of healthcare professionals who were eager to take the vaccine.
My better half is also a pharmacist. She vetted the shot appropriately and found no cause for concern.
My sister and her husband are both specialized MDs. Both received the vaccine as soon as it was offered. My sister was pregnant at the time and did the appropriate research to conclude that the benefits far outweigh any miniscule risk. Her baby girl was born healthy and continues to thrive.
I received my PhD in a medical campus. Many of my good friends and dozens of colleagues have PhDs, MDs, or MD/PhD. None had any pause when deciding to take the vaccine. 

I'm not claiming that any in my small subset is smarter than your brother (or than you). But I would argue that as academic physician/scientists, they're exceptionally well-positioned to make an objective assessment on the risks and benefits of the vaccine.

I hope this helps some who continue to feel trepidation about receiving the vaccine. The rest is a subjective decision that we each have to make. 

I think everyone's personal situation is how people should determine whether or not to get the vaccine. But for you to say there's no risk of getting the vaccine that is simply not true. Even if the risk is tiny, there is still a risk whether its minor side effects or more serious reactions. So again it's really about each person choosing the risk they would rather take. Many of my friends are vaccinated. However, about half of them would not do it again or accept a booster shot. I think the tables are starting to turn a little bit. Unless the vaccines are forced on us by employers or they start offering larger sums of money to get the shot, the people who don't want it still wont get it. If a vaccine meant no masks months ago, I would have gotten it right away. Everyone has different motivations. 

Just heard saratoga mandated mask again pretty sure this is gonna be the norm for everybody... o crap there goes the toilet paper again insert sarcasm...just trying to lighten the mood 

Edited by silent death

So, I am in academic medicine, and I got the jab as soon as I was able. However, I think that it's each person's right to choose for themselves. As many on here have remarked, we just don't have all of the answers on long-term safety or efficacy. How could we? But I do know that there are an alarming number of folks presenting with post-COVID complications including neurologic and cardiac abnormalities, and IMHO, I'd rather take my chances with the jab than get the virus. Because you can say the same of the disease as of the vaccine - how do you know what the consequences may be years down the road? Life is a chance. You have to bank intel and make the best decision you can.

My major concern right now is that conversation has transitioned from protecting the health care system from being overwhelmed or reducing mortality to simply getting the numbers down. To me, that doesn't fit the narrative that we've been fed this past year. I'm also confused as to how vaccination is going to significantly slow the spread of the Delta variant, if the variant is ten times more infectious overall but you are only two times less likely following vaccination to develop transmittable levels of virus (even if you avoid severe disease). I'm missing something in the numbers. I wonder what the rate of repeat infection is with Delta? Is the latency decreased, or is there vaccine elusion? So much unknown.

I think that the jury is still out on whether we are going to continue to see post-infective complications down the road from Delta, so I'd still opt for the jab, but I think that the powers-that-be have turned the corner on justifying some of the new policy decisions. I was on board until now, but I'm becoming a bit skeptical as the new data emerges. Perhaps it was inevitable as this thing became political that politics would play a role in what should be evidence based decision making. It really feels like this new data is saying, "You can't rely on vaccinated folks to protect you, because the vaccine only protects autonomously - get the jab!", and I'm very skeptical when new data emerges that just happens to support the government's hard sell. It feels too much like scare tactics to me. But that is a personal and not a professional call.

• Like 1

I wasnt happy nor relieved they could get the shot but as a parent I made the best decision I thought was appropriate to keep them safe other than the n95 mask and there gloves they wore to school but I fear it may have been for nothing with people still coming down with covid after the vaccines.

At least it seems to be keeping them out of the hospitals. My son is 4 and I know that young kids don’t usually get all this sick from covid, that being said not sure I could live with myself if I brought something home that left him with life long breathing issues

• Like 1

The end of the day I just don't feel like getting it. Not based on any conspiracy theories. I just don't feel like it. I get my flu shot yearly but that's more for my dad's sake and they have it at my office so it's a matter of 2 mins out of my day. Why people care so much the reasons someone does or doesn't want to get one of these vaccines is beyond me.

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

Honestly because with the science behind it 90% of reasons are flat out idiotic

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

At least it seems to be keeping them out of the hospitals. My son is 4 and I know that young kids don’t usually get all this sick from covid, that being said not sure I could live with myself if I brought something home that left him with life long breathing issues

But again as cdc has said u can still get covid no matter what even if u are vaccinated.. so it's the luck of the draw really and school hadn't started yet I just have a bad feeling when it does.start things may get bad 

Edited by silent death

I’m not vested yet. I don’t know if I can make it another 16 years. That’s been my plan all along was to make my 22yrs and flee to a free state but It gets harder to stay every day!

Problem is I enjoy my job and love my schedule and I make good money but I don’t like being forced to do things I’m not comfortable with!

You have the option to be tested weekly as well don’t you ?

But again as cdc has said u can still get covid no matter what even if u are vaccinated.. so it's the luck of the draw really and school hadn't started yet I just have a bad feeling when it does.start things may get bad 

Same too and it makes me sad for all the little ones out there

• Like 1

This country is the most drugged up nation under the sun.  Every other commercial on TV is a drug commercial it seems.  Prescription drugs are available for just about every ailment and most of these drugs have a laundry list of potential side effects yet it doesn't seem to stop people from popping them like candy.  What I find funny is that many of those who are afraid of the potential side effects of the vaccine are the same people who have no problem taking these various prescription drugs.  And many of these prescription drugs are needed by these folks because of bad life choices they've made.  Go try to figure that one out, I sure as hell won't.  LOL

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steve863 said:

This country is the most drugged up nation under the sun.  Every other commercial on TV is a drug commercial it seems.  Prescription drugs are available for just about every ailment and most of these drugs have a laundry list of potential side effects yet it doesn't seem to stop people from popping them like candy.  What I find funny is that many of those who are afraid of the potential side effects of the vaccine are the same people who have no problem taking these various prescription drugs.  And many of these prescription drugs are needed by these folks because of bad life choices they've made.  Go try to figure that one out, I sure as hell won't.  LOL

Haven’t went to a doctor in 20 years ,don’t get the flu shot and take no meds .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Remember ,kids weren’t  getting Covid ..

16 minutes ago, silent death said:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/sleepaway-camp-new-york-coronavirus-campers

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I think everyone's personal situation is how people should determine whether or not to get the vaccine. But for you to say there's no risk of getting the vaccine that is simply not true. Even if the risk is tiny, there is still a risk whether its minor side effects or more serious reactions. So again it's really about each person choosing the risk they would rather take. Many of my friends are vaccinated. However, about half of them would not do it again or accept a booster shot. I think the tables are starting to turn a little bit. Unless the vaccines are forced on us by employers or they start offering larger sums of money to get the shot, the people who don't want it still wont get it. If a vaccine meant no masks months ago, I would have gotten it right away. Everyone has different motivations. 

I didn’t say there is no risk. I said it’s important to measure the risk in relation to the benefit and in the context of the risks that we continually encounter throughout a day. It’s much easier to understand risk in relative terms. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Agree , tough choice .

FDNY Ems Union , and FDNY Uniformed FF Union , told them to stick it .

My city is so short on cops as it is , this will make even more think about retirement  and with the OT guys have got the last two years its going to be possible for many to leave way earlier they thought just years ago . If the courts drag it out and they get another big year of OT, there’s their  three year FAS ! 

If 50% of the guys haven’t got the shot by now, they don’t want it , and trying to force cops and FFs usually just makes them dig their heels in more .

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, knehrke said:

So, I am in academic medicine, and I got the jab as soon as I was able. However, I think that it's each person's right to choose for themselves. As many on here have remarked, we just don't have all of the answers on long-term safety or efficacy. How could we? But I do know that there are an alarming number of folks presenting with post-COVID complications including neurologic and cardiac abnormalities, and IMHO, I'd rather take my chances with the jab than get the virus. Because you can say the same of the disease as of the vaccine - how do you know what the consequences may be years down the road? Life is a chance. You have to bank intel and make the best decision you can.

My major concern right now is that conversation has transitioned from protecting the health care system from being overwhelmed or reducing mortality to simply getting the numbers down. To me, that doesn't fit the narrative that we've been fed this past year. I'm also confused as to how vaccination is going to significantly slow the spread of the Delta variant, if the variant is ten times more infectious overall but you are only two times less likely following vaccination to develop transmittable levels of virus (even if you avoid severe disease). I'm missing something in the numbers. I wonder what the rate of repeat infection is with Delta? Is the latency decreased, or is there vaccine elusion? So much unknown.

I think that the jury is still out on whether we are going to continue to see post-infective complications down the road from Delta, so I'd still opt for the jab, but I think that the powers-that-be have turned the corner on justifying some of the new policy decisions. I was on board until now, but I'm becoming a bit skeptical as the new data emerges. Perhaps it was inevitable as this thing became political that politics would play a role in what should be evidence based decision making. It really feels like this new data is saying, "You can't rely on vaccinated folks to protect you, because the vaccine only protects autonomously - get the jab!", and I'm very skeptical when new data emerges that just happens to support the government's hard sell. It feels too much like scare tactics to me. But that is a personal and not a professional call.

Another academic scientist who weighed the evidence and got the shot. I’m seeing the suggestion of a trend here. 

Absolute certainty has never been the standard in medicine and there’s no reason why we should now move the goalposts further back. In contrast, given risk of death/chronic disease, moving them in a tiny bit feels reasonable to me.