Lost a hunting buddy Saturday night

First-light

One of the brothers who owns the camp next to me broke several ribs Thursday. Was in the hospital and went into cardiac arrest. 

They couldn't save him. 66 years old. Hell of a nice guy loved coming up to NY from Maryland. Retired a few years was enjoying it. Did not make it to camp this year because of civid. So sad. 

On a funny note you can see his stand a few hundred yards from my cabin. Corner of a field and hard woods. I told him he was fair game after opening day, he didn't understand until I started launching golf balls at him with my driver. So much fun but it goes so fast. Live life while there is living left. That is a quote from my other neighbor an old timer farmer.

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

Sorry to hear about that.  I know the feeling, having lost my buddy Joe on opening day of gun season this year.    He passed the same time as this buck, right down to the minute.  That's the second time that I named deer after buddies who have passed away.  I am sure that they are all in a better place now.

RIP Joe, Jake, and Maryland 66.

20201222_175858.jpg

• Sad 1

Sorry to all who experienced the loss of someone this year, seems even sadder around the Holiday Season.My cousin died from A-fib related problems at 56 years old this summer. I was glad I reconnected with him last fall and saw him a couple of times before he left us. Think of the fun memories you had with them and they stay alive in a way.

• Like 2

Been a bad year. My camp/club lost another one of our founding members back in June. Condolences to all here who lost a cherished hunting buddy this year and in years past.. The best we can do is honor them by remembering them and keeping the traditions alive.

Hold into the wind, Dad, Gramps, John, Craig and Danny.  

• Like 2

Sorry for your loss of a friend . I sometimes think I am pushing my luck by hunting at the age of 79 . I am blessed that 2 of my sons hunt and will field dress , drag and butcher the deer that I shoot . I sometimes wonder how much longer I can keep doing this . But , thinking about deer hunting keeps me going ! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Sorry for your loss of a friend . I sometimes think I am pushing my luck by hunting at the age of 79 . I am blessed that 2 of my sons hunt and will field dress , drag and butcher the deer that I shoot . I sometimes wonder how much longer I can keep doing this . But , thinking about deer hunting keeps me going ! 

Keep going. Especially with the support network. If I'm still hunting at 79, things will have gone right, very right. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Sorry to hear about that.  I know the feeling, having lost my buddy Joe on opening day of gun season this year.    He passed the same time as this buck, right down to the minute.  That's the second time that I named deer after buddies who have passed away.  I am sure that they are all in a better place now.

RIP Joe, Jake, and Maryland 66.

20201222_175858.jpg

Thank you, sorry about Joe.

21 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Just keep yourself in decent shape and take it slow and easy. No need to rush. My buddy was not in the best of shape and overdid it at times with drink and smoke. He was happy though!!

Keep plugging Eddie......my Dad is turning 74 in January and my boys and I love every minute we get to spend in the woods with him........we have no problem gutting and hauling for him! He finally sat in our enclosed shack his last few sits and now loves being outta the wind has added a whole new perspective to hunting for him.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1