Couple questions

luberhill

Cva wolf 50 cal.  It's short light weight well balanced and very accurate.  

You can purchase it for under $200 without a scope and for around $300 with a scope. There's not really much of a kick at all and most hunting stores will sell it.

Edited by Red
  • Thanks 1

All muzzleloader are fairly soft shooting. Just don’t buy into the high powder load idea. 100 grains is usually fine for any projectile you are using. Get a good scopes and you will be very happy with the range you can get with any decent muzzleloader. Enjoy and welcome to the club.

i have a TC impact.  Most accuratte gun i have at one shot at 100 yards.   I shoot 2 - 777 pellets and  a 245 grain powerbelt.  I would carry this all gun season but i like a second shot in case.  https://www.natchezss.com/thompson-center-t-c-impact-sb-muzzleloader-50-cal-26-blued-barrel-black.html

i also put this scope on it.  My favorite, cause i like the circle reticle.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009530618

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I just bought a cva optima v2 with out the scope  from midway USA and with my birthday pricing and a free shipping code , I bought it for $340 so not a bad price I thought (they were sold out of the wolf or I would have bought that ) Both have very very good reviews. I know a few guys with the TC’s and they like them a lot also. I stuck with a 50 cal as I think there are more options for bullet combos. I’m going with the harvester crush sabots that use 44 cal projectiles,   I have a bunch of 270 grain deep curls and 240 grain xtp’s for my 44 mag that I’m going to shoot/ try out of it .As for powders do a google search and you’ll have days of reading,  it seams 777 and blackhorn 209 are the best 2 best for FPS and cleanliness . 209 being best and 777 a close second. Loose powder tends to give better and more consistent ignition, but pellets get the job done no doubt and are easier/  quicker. 

Edited by rob-c

Definetly go 50 cal. .45 is great for target or small game, but not what you want for deer. As previously mentioned, a lighter projectile means less kick....but they arent worth it if they dont shoot strait in your gun. Pellets or powder are strictly a personal thing. I buy powder for target use and for my first load. It is MUCH cheaper than pellets. I do use pellets in my speed loaders, as I tend to spill. 100 grains is plenty at typical NY ranges, and in my gun ( and from what I hear many others...) three pellets do not burn up completely. I find them on the ground smoldering. 

My opinion....The CVA wolf is (sorry guys) about the worse inline out there. My buddy bought one, because it was cheap. It may shoot and put a hole close to where it should go, but it feels like a toy and is very inexpensively built...like it is priced. Just remember even if you buy a stainless rifle, you MUST care for them like you would any other. Stainless does rust, and with most any of the blackpowder/substitutes, you dont want to leave them to clean later.