So shoulder issues, can I shoot 45 cal in a 50

luberhill

So I want to try ML

Have a chance to get a CVA Wolf cheap / friend 

It’s a 50 with scope ...

Can I soften the recoil with a 45 cal bullet ?

If so what should I buy ?

Also if I want to use pellets , is Whitehot the best ? And use two ?

And what primers ?

Mainly use for deer in the ML season only

Thank you 

5 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Bh209 is in my mind the best but doesn't come in pellet form. T7, pyrodex next if using pellets .

Primers will be hard to come by but there are so many. 

So if 209 I will need a charge tube correct?

So there are no primers available ?

What about best bullet ?

If you get that cva wolf you need the cva or western powder bh209 plug, the stock plug won't ignite bh209. Yes you would need a powder tube ,its not that t7 and pyro are bad ,but bh209 is a progressive burning power so you don't need to swab the barrel aftrr each 1,2, 3 shots . You get a crud ring at the breach if using t7

Primers are around but like ammo are hard to find. 

Best bullet  I wish I new that answer.  My favorite bullet is the speer deep curl in 300gr in a crush rib sabot. 

20201214_163232.jpg

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sbuff said:

If you get that cva wolf you need the cva or western powder bh209 plug, the stock plug won't ignite bh209. Yes you would need a powder tube ,its not that t7 and pyro are bad ,but bh209 is a progressive burning power so you don't need to swab the barrel aftrr each 1,2, 3 shots . You get a crud ring at the breach if using t7

Primers are around but like ammo are hard to find. 

Best bullet  I wish I new that answer.  My favorite bullet is the speer deep curl in 300gr in a crush rib sabot. 

20201214_163232.jpg

Assume muzzleloader dot com would have the correct plug ??

The stock breech plug will work fine with 777 or pryo. I use 777. While it's not as clean burning as b209, it's definitely convenient in pellet form.  I use 2 pellets and traditions sabot/bullet.  Don't remember the grain.  I've tried every powerbelt out there, and my ML just doesn't like them. 

• Like 1

I've left bh209 loaded in my muzzle loader from opening of north season to the last day of gun. Always goes bang. Any loose powder tube will work it doesn't need to be Lanes.

Easier with pellets many will debate including myself ,but its close . I still use t7 pellets but hate swabbing the barrel due to crud ring every 2nd or 3rd shot 

No bore butter needed its a rust inhibitor in my opinion.  Today's sabots are made from great polymers made to load very easy. 

Check out 

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/

Edited by sbuff

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I keep 2 of these filled and in my coat pocket when i go hunting with the muzzleloader , there's no way pellets are any easier then just pulling out a tube and dumping it down the barrel ,these hold primers as well. 

speed loader.jpg

I use these as well. I keep one in my pocket and put a string through the hole that's in between the primers and wear it around my neck.  You csn reload really quick with these.

You can also cut the tubes down to what ever length you need.

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I keep 2 of these filled and in my coat pocket when i go hunting with the muzzleloader , there's no way pellets are any easier then just pulling out a tube and dumping it down the barrel ,these hold primers as well. 

speed loader.jpg

IMO, pellets are easier. I've had the wind blow away loose power as I was dumping it. I've also had speed loaders open in my pocket. No biggie with pellets.

They both work well.  I've got 2 bottles of 209 left over after I switched back to 777.  

I agree the 209 is much easier to load a 2 or 3rd shot.  I can get 3 shots with 777, but the 3rd isn't easy.  4th shot would be about impossible. 

23 minutes ago, mowin said:

IMO, pellets are easier. I've had the wind blow away loose power as I was dumping it. I've also had speed loaders open in my pocket. No biggie with pellets.

They both work well.  I've got 2 bottles of 209 left over after I switched back to 777.  

I agree the 209 is much easier to load a 2 or 3rd shot.  I can get 3 shots with 777, but the 3rd isn't easy.  4th shot would be about impossible. 

So her sighting in I need to clean the plug and barrel after each shot ??

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If recoil is an issue I highly recommend going to a lighter bullet! I haven’t found much of a difference in recoil between charge rates but bullet weights are absolutely noticeable.

I’m not recoil sensitive but I shoot these with great results.9a1b72643388f7bd35fc9d42ce33061e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that in a 50 cal or 45

1 hour ago, loworange88 said:

I shoot a .44Magnum sabot from my CVA Wolf.  I use the white hots, and have had zero issues or misfires.  Recoil isn’t too bad at all with two pellets.

Can u post the one U use 

And is yours a 50 cal Ml ?

Edited by luberhill