So shoulder issues, can I shoot 45 cal in a 50

luberhill

Maybe some do I guess the one you shot had bad recoil , but then again its more likely the specific  gun u shot, ive shot some 12ga shot guns that kick like a mule others not  bad , but in all i would say shoot some others prior to buying if recoil is the biggest issue for u buy the heaviest muzzleloader u can find and put a good recoil pad on it....

1 hour ago, land 1 said:

Maybe some do I guess the one you shot had bad recoil , but then again its more likely the specific  gun u shot, ive shot some 12ga shot guns that kick like a mule others not  bad , but in all i would say shoot some others prior to buying if recoil is the biggest issue for u buy the heaviest muzzleloader u can find and put a good recoil pad on it....

Yea the one I shot kicked like my Ithaca Deerslayer with slugs in it .. and that had recoil !!!

Not sure the powder charge he was using ..

It wasn’t unbearable and I’ve shot far worse , but with my shoulder I’d rather have it softer .

Thats why I asked about a 45 vs 50 .. so if a 50 with sabot is actually a 45 bullet , what is a 45 cal with sabot ? A 40 cal bullet ?

6 hours ago, luberhill said:

Yea the one I shot kicked like my Ithaca Deerslayer with slugs in it .. and that had recoil !!!

It wasn’t unbearable and I’ve shot far worse , but with my shoulder I’d rather have it softer .

Thats why I asked about a 45 vs 50 .. so if a 50 with sabot is actually a 45 bullet , what is a 45 cal with sabot ? A 40 cal bullet ?

If you use loose powder you can tailor you’re load to you’re shoulders recoil tolerance . One doesn’t  have to shoot 150 or even a 100 grains of powder to get good  performance from the ML. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, luberhill said:

Your better off with the 50 and loose powder, hard to find things for a 45 cal. They were a fad and dropped off a few years ago.  I use 50 grains of powder in my 50 cal pistol and it will take deer to 65 yards, the heavier the gun and less powder you use will be biggest difference in recoil. 

In fact a same bullet in a 45 cal would prolly kick more with same amount of powder as gun weighs less

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 4

Caliber doesn't effect recoil*

I'm seeing lots of confusing suggestions here. Guys are suggesting 300gr .45 bullets. They are going to recoil MORE than say a 173gr .50 cal round ball would or a 220 grain .54 cal round ball.

If you're concerned about recoil, use loose powder, because you sure don't need 100grs of powder to kill deer. Who knows, 100 grs may shoot best. Or it may shoot the worst. Or it may shoot no better than 60 grs. Using pellets you'll never know.

*   (to really nit pick, it does... smaller calibers actually have more recoil if all things are equal. Smaller hole, higher pressure, more jet effect. But it doesn't really effect enough to apply here)

• Like 1