Candidates for the Darwin Award

Pygmy

Not this guy. I like to play it safe. Also play it over safe with my son in the ice. I'm getting the itch to punch some holes, but panfish isn't really worth the risk for me.

I would hate to see somebody get seriously hurt, but if you want to play it stupid, they should leave the first responders out of it. Let them figure it out.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Happens on Oneida every single year multiple times.  See guys taking boards out to get farther out on the ice.  Sylvan beach has a dive team, ice training and a hovercraft it happens so often.  I've said they should charge them $1000 for every rescue putting so many others at risk. 

A couple of guys around the lake make good money pulling out sleds every year.

Happens on Oneida every single year multiple times.  See guys taking boards out to get farther out on the ice.  Sylvan beach has a dive team, ice training and a hovercraft it happens so often.  I've said they should charge them $1000 for every rescue putting so many others at risk. 
A couple of guys around the lake make good money pulling out sleds every year.
There was a giant pressure crack last year. There was about 20' of open water across the middle of the lake. I witnessed a guy fishing down through the open water.... Caught a nice walleye actually.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

two brothers in our F&G club went out on our trout ponds ice while it was still deer season. So there they were with  regular fish poles, lawn chairs, a deer rifle and a thermos of Manhattens. When they would go over to the holes, the ice would depress and water would come on the ice. We were walking over the dam to  set up a drive when we witnessed this. Figured one would break through and both would die when the other rushed over to  try to rescue the other. But they both survived.

two brothers in our F&G club went out on our trout ponds ice while it was still deer season. So there they were with  regular fish poles, lawn chairs, a deer rifle and a thermos of Manhattens. When they would go over to the holes, the ice would depress and water would come on the ice. We were walking over the dam to  set up a drive when we witnessed this. Figured one would break through and both would die when the other rushed over to  try to rescue the other. But they both survived.

To be fair that sounds like an awesome time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Every once in a while some dumb ass feels it necessary to ride their snow mobile across Irondequoit Bay and crash through the ice . They don't wait for the ice to get thick . You can't fix stupid . 

Things changed many years ago when they opened up,the outlet , it happened a lot after that . Not much of an excuse today .

I used to drive my cars on the bay .

I have a very healthy respect for thin ice. That being said I’m often the first one on a frozen lake. I’ve ice fished 5 times this year on 5 different bodies of water and was the drilled the first set of holes on each one. I have every possible piece of safety equipment, floating suit, life jacket, ropes and picks. None of that is for my safety I just don’t want any one getting hurt having to look for my body. Last Monday I fished on an inch and a half of good ice. You just have to use your brain and be careful, don’t take a step without a spud bar. I was crushing the salmon and trout but the sun got up and the ice was changing so I got the hell off. When on thin early ice you don’t have any wiggle room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have a very healthy respect for thin ice. That being said I’m often the first one on a frozen lake. I’ve ice fished 5 times this year on 5 different bodies of water and was the drilled the first set of holes on each one. I have every possible piece of safety equipment, floating suit, life jacket, ropes and picks. None of that is for my safety I just don’t want any one getting hurt having to look for my body. Last Monday I fished on an inch and a half of good ice. You just have to use your brain and be careful, don’t take a step without a spud bar. I was crushing the salmon and trout but the sun got up and the ice was changing so I got the hell off. When on thin early ice you don’t have any wiggle room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes! Be careful out there man! There is not a fish swimming, that is worth risking your life for!!!

I'm the complete opposite. And usually one of the last to venture out on the ice. Once I see sleds and wheelers out there, I figure it "may" be safe enough to hold my fat azz! And then still carry much of the safety equipment you mentioned. I may catch a few less fish by waiting so long to get out there. But I do catch some........year after year after year. Cause I'm still around to do so!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

Yikes! Be careful out there man! There is not a fish swimming, that is worth risking your life for!!!

I'm the complete opposite. And usually one of the last to venture out on the ice. Once I see sleds and wheelers out there, I figure it "may" be safe enough to hold my fat azz! And then still carry much of the safety equipment you mentioned. I may catch a few less fish by waiting so long to get out there. But I do catch some........year after year after year. Cause I'm still around to do so!

I am the same way.  I do most of my ice fishing in the Adirondacks, on President's day weekend, when the ice is usually at it's thickest.  I am really looking forward to the next one.  They stocked the lake with brook trout, up at my in-laws place.

Normally,  we only catch smallmouth bass thru the ice up there, and the occasional perch.   Those warm water species don't put up much fight in cold water.  Trout are a lot more fun then, and I hear that the brookies are very good eating.  It has been about 50 years since I tried one.

I fell thru the ice with a snowmobile one time, when I was in my teens, working on a trap line in early-winter.  That was enough of that for me.  There is no way I am taking a chance of a repeat.  The fishing might be better at early ice, but for me, it ain't worth the risk.

• Like 1