1901 NYS Hunting Regs

Zag

I love this old stuff. I recently picked up the 1911 original scout handbook and it had this to say about rabid dogs. 12 year olds were a hell of a lot tougher back then.

Mad Dog

The first thing to do is to kill the mad dog at once. Wrap a handkerchief around the hand to prevent the dog's teeth from entering the flesh and grasp a club of some kind. If you can stop the dog with a stick you should hit him hard over the head with it, or kick him under the jaw. A handkerchief held in front of you in your outstretched hands will generally cause the dog to stop to paw it before he attempts to bite you. This will give you an opportunity to kick him under the lower jaw.

Another way suggested is to wrap a coat around the left arm and let the dog bite it; then with the other hand seize the dog's throat and choke him.

• Like 3

For those interested,  Abebooks online has lots of this type of reading material available and its inexpensive. I have a 1904 from a judge's house I cleaned out and you can find these around $20.

Have a complete set of ny hunting buttons too, but from multiple owners. They were worn on the lapel of a coat, precursor to back tag. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

For those interested,  Abebooks online has lots of this type of reading material available and its inexpensive. I have a 1904 from a judge's house I cleaned out and you can find these around $20.

Have a complete set of ny hunting buttons too, but from multiple owners. They were worn on the lapel of a coat, precursor to back tag. 

I will look into that, thanks Dan. I find reading that old stuff fascinating.

My father also had a complete set of hunting buttons, that I always admired. But his wife (not my mom) sold em all for peanuts.

4 minutes ago, Farflung said:

Zag- I  see that section 11 deals with killing of Moose, Elk, Caribou and Antelope. Heard about Great Camps in the Adirondacks trying to reestablish elk and moose, and I vaguely remember a reference to caribou, but Antelope? Does that section dwell into it any further?

C6BF70DC-0DBE-42ED-A53C-D90DE1F277AF.jpeg

EB7C3601-6FBD-4B69-A6F5-EF3D4CBAFDDD.jpeg

36 minutes ago, grampy said:

I will look into that, thanks Dan. I find reading that old stuff fascinating.

My father also had a complete set of hunting buttons, that I always admired. But his wife (not my mom) sold em all for peanuts.

Buttons were used from 1917-41.

The early 17,18,19 a bit tougher to find.

Despite asking prices on Ebay, most can be had for about $10 in nice condition. Early ones more like 35-50.  Less when buying sets or multiples.

I found most at a estate sale when I asked if they had any hunting or fishing stuff. They were in a garage and didn't know what they were, so didn't put them out. 

I advised the daughter on pricing some woodworking items fairly, and she gave them to me. ( But I paid her anyway, I hate folks who take advantage of someone who just lost a loved one)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I showed this to the dec. They were very excited to see the pics of the reg book and they decided to check their library in Albany to see if the have one. They do not, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is one of maybe a few or heck could be the only one around!!